Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant unable to confirm moving out date

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Be cheaper to pay for his flights back from where ever he goes for the winter.

If I was you, and wanted to be fair to him, I'd only be paying out my notice period and not any longer.

We owe him 84 days notice, we've lived here for over 4 years. So that would be around the same anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Be cheaper to pay for his flights back from where ever he goes for the winter.

If I was you, and wanted to be fair to him, I'd only be paying out my notice period and not any longer.

Do you not realise its the Landlord that has been doing the tenant a favour ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Do you not realise its the Landlord that has been doing the tenant a favour ?

Has he? As it stands the tenant is in pretty much the same situation as if he just didn't give notice and moved out once the house was ready.

Except in that case the landlord would have to take steps to mitigate his losses. Or the tenant could offer to assign the lease (if a tenant is found) and if not allowed unilaterally end the lease. Either way it would have ended with the tenant paying less rent.

I'm not really seeing the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Has he? As it stands the tenant is in pretty much the same situation as if he just didn't give notice and moved out once the house was ready.

Except in that case the landlord would have to take steps to mitigate his losses. Or the tenant could offer to assign the lease (if a tenant is found) and if not allowed unilaterally end the lease. Either way it would have ended with the tenant paying less rent.

I'm not really seeing the favour.

Its simple the tenant has to give notice before leaving and abide by that. Anything other than that is given as a favour from the landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Its simple the tenant has to give notice before leaving and abide by that. Anything other than that is given as a favour from the landlord

And the landlord hasn't given anything other than that, so there's no favour.

Any way, doesn't really matter if the poster is happy with the agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

OP here. Thanks all for the feedback, good few points from both landlord and tenant perspective. I think in this situation all that can be asked of the tenants is to keep you in the loop and give proof (if one feels it’s warranted) of a provisional closing date, especially when contracts aren’t signed. I think one of the earlier posters said this when they were in a similar situation and they were the tenants.

Advertisement