Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bean to coffee machine?

Options
  • 12-09-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

Hubby is a coffee drinker.
    Hates insomnia and Starbucks, likes butlers.

Right now at home we have a Nespresso which is mostly used with Aldi capsules.

We'd like to make the switch to a bean to coffee machine.
    Priorities are: good coffee, fairly quick, easy to use, low & quick maintenance, small footprint, quiet.

It's for espresso only. Milk features aren't important or relevant really. Budget isn't that much of an issue, it's more about value for money.

Recommended machines to look at?

I've done some reading but it's hard to know who and what to trust in terms of reviews and recommendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Check the delonghi thread in bargain alerts.

Great machine. Got from Amazon

quiet? might struggle with that tbh, they are reasonably noisy things by their nature

(important edit: get the delonghi above anyway- silence is overrated)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

True.
    Grinding beans cannot? be quiet.
    Pump won't be quiet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I bought the delonghi machine mentioned above. I love it. Coffee is really nice. It makes noise though, you can't grind quietly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Delonghi every time - something like this or this and an electric grinder. Lavazza beans are €5 a bag in Tesco and far nicer than any of your Starbucks shíte.

Can also recommend Kaph on Drury St in Dublin for beans.

41z3NoLUM-L._SX425_.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Hubby is a coffee drinker.
    Hates insomnia and Starbucks, likes butlers.

Right now at home we have a Nespresso which is mostly used with Aldi capsules.

The machine isn’t the problem here. The coffee is.

Spending €200 or more changing to a bean to cup machine isn’t going to automatically give you nice coffee.

Nespresso isn’t my machine of choice at home but work have one and to be fair it gives good consistent coffee.

The aldi pods are ****in woeful.

L’or are on sale a lot and are pretty decent. And currently Starbucks pods are €3 a box made in conjunction with nespresso themselves and are also quite decent.

There’s enough different flavours etc there that you have to find one that would suit.

We’re talking about someone who likes butlers coffee here not exactly a connoisseur. No offense.

Your priorities listed all point to nespresso or a pod machine of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fantacoffee

I bought the delonghi machine mentioned above. I love it. Coffee is really nice. It makes noise though, you can't grind quietly

I second all of this. Good but noisy I am afraid! I can never deceide if Delonghi are top quality, or just affordable quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Spending €200 or more changing to a bean to cup machine isn’t going to automatically give you nice coffee.

Nespresso isn’t my machine of choice at home but work have one and to be fair it gives good consistent coffee.

Yes agree 100%.

I have the deLonghi bean to cup, love it too. I also have a Nespresso at work and it makes very decent coffee. I can't understand the logic of buying a Nespresso machine and then looking for the cheapest coffee to put in it.

Priorities are: good coffee, fairly quick, easy to use, low & quick maintenance, small footprint, quiet.

Go online, buy a variety pack of Nespresso, find which pod you like best, order same from then on. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 allthatkatydid

Is 384 euro a good price to pay for the Delonghi Magnifica bean to cup coffee machine? That's the black Friday price at Harvey Norman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

Had a Delonghi Magnifica for more than 5 years..it made at least 6 cups a day and is still going - we gave it to a friend.

All Delonghi bean to cup have the same 15 bar pump.

I went through Hario V60, Aeropress phases but bean to cup is the way to go imo. dead handy. Only switched as we upgraded to an integrated Neff machine with a new kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

If you have cash to spend and want to impress at dinner parties buy a Jura. Otherwise buy the DeLonghi as mentioned above, very good machine! On the other hand as it was brought up also you need great quality beans for the machine. I’d recommend Illy, Kimbo they are phenomenal.

Is 384 euro a good price to pay for the Delonghi Magnifica bean to cup coffee machine? That's the black Friday price at Harvey Norman.

thats not a good price imo. be surprised if it didnt show up under £250 on amazon between now and christmas

If you have cash to spend and want to impress at dinner parties buy a Jura. Otherwise buy the DeLonghi as mentioned above, very good machine! On the other hand as it was brought up also you need great quality beans for the machine. I’d recommend Illy, Kimbo they are phenomenal.
    I bought a £1 one months subscription to Which magazine trying to wade through all the choices in coffee machines and they didn't rate the Jura very highly. But I also found conflicting reviews on Amazon about the Magnifica. I think I've settled on the Delonghi Magnifica, but hoping to find it cheaper than Harvey Normans. I might also try some coffee beans from the roasters in Cork mentioned previously. My only experience of making good coffee at home is with Lavassa ground coffee in a french press so hoping to improve somewhat on that. Thank you for your help.

Thank you that is a better price. I just noticed that Amazon add VAT after you put an item in your basket, hadnt noticed that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Glebee

My vote is for the Delonghi Magnifica as well. Great machine. Although it does the wifes head in as it is loud. Try to compare the different amazon region sites (german, italien, spanish). Prices vary from country to country and if your spending that money shipping is usually free. Also sign up to amazon prime for a months free trial, might get you free shipping if its not included.

I've a Krups (ea8298) one I'd really recommend. Never had a minutes bother with it and still makes the same as it did years ago. Not sure if they still make it.

I'm already a prime member for Ireland and the UK. Looks like I need to take out another prime membership for amazon.de. Do you think I could take the free month then cancel? I know this is a bit off topic but being a prime member in Ireland I cant use the music part because of licensing law and they wouldn't accept payment from an Irish bank to rent a movie on Amazon Prime video. They do however take my monthly subscription from that very same Irish bank account! A bit frustrating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Sage barista express has a built in grinder. Easy to use and easy to clean.Makes decent coffee most importantly.

• Advertisement

De'Longhi Magnifica, Automatic Bean to Cup Coffee Machine, Espresso, Cappuccino, ESAM 4200.S, Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EOMZ5E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R.R2DbYXNQWKQ

there you are now

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fantacoffee

L’or are on sale a lot and are pretty decent. And currently Starbucks pods are €3 a box made in conjunction with nespresso themselves and are also quite decent.

There’s enough different flavours etc there that you have to find one that would suit.

We’re talking about someone who likes butlers coffee here not exactly a connoisseur. No offense.

Your priorities listed all point to nespresso or a pod machine of some sort.

I heard Sage and their £800+ ones are the real deal, best of the best, but I quite agree, the beans is probably the main difference.

Did you just say that Starbucks are decent? The jury is out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I heard Sage and their £800+ ones are the real deal, best of the best, but I quite agree, the beans is probably the main difference.

Did you just say that Starbucks are decent? The jury is out

Spending £800 on a machine for home use is just unnecessary. That said if love a rancilio silva but again there’s no justifying it.

A gaggia classic second hand for about a hundred and the a couple of hundred on a good grinder would do just as good a job.

As nespresso capsules look again they’re not perfect but when you’re in work and there’s no space to be messing around with an aeropress it’s the next best thing.

I’ve tried lots of capsules. The real nespresso ones, followed by Starbucks (made in conjunction with nespresso) followed by the l’or ones are the only ones worth buying. All the other imitations I’ve tried don’t flow through the machines correctly either underextracting or overextracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Sorry to jump in on your thread OP I'm trying to decide between the two machines below both seem to get really good reviews.

Melitta F85/0-102 Barista TS Smart Coffee Machine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077ZK2K9D/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Sage SES880BSS the Barista Touch Semi Automatic Espresso Machine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079GV6RX7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Any and all advice greatly appriciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I’ve a mate who is after buying a rocket espresso apartments and Faustino grinder - the same pair as my own, - he had the semi touch and really liked it- He has progressed he said, he enjoys adjusting it more often for different beans etc
    F34 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on your thread OP I'm trying to decide between the two machines below both seem to get really good reviews.

Melitta F85/0-102 Barista TS Smart Coffee Machine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077ZK2K9D/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Sage SES880BSS the Barista Touch Semi Automatic Espresso Machine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079GV6RX7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Any and all advice greatly appriciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Spending £800 on a machine for home use is just unnecessary. That said if love a rancilio silva but again there’s no justifying it.

A gaggia classic second hand for about a hundred and the a couple of hundred on a good grinder would do just as good a job.

Spending 10 euro on a coffee machine is also unnecessary, whatever that means!

I have the sage now nearly five years, trouble free, and it's a fantastic machine. I bought it as a replacement for a 300 euro delonghi machine that lasted just over 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I have the sage now nearly five years, trouble free, and it's a fantastic machine. I bought it as a replacement for a 300 euro delonghi machine that lasted just over 12 months.

same, kinda (while I had to replace a gaggia classic which broke after 3 years of use) - yet, there is something something not there for me: I know I would not buy the sage a second time (for me buying seconds can be a measure of how much I like something).

how about you, have you any idea what you might replace your sage with, should there be a need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

mvl wrote: »
    same, kinda (while I had to replace a gaggia classic which broke after 3 years of use) - yet, there is something something not there for me: I know I would not buy the sage a second time (for me buying seconds can be a measure of how much I like something).

how about you, have you any idea what you might replace your sage with, should there be a need ?

Definately another sage, no question about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I got the sage Barista touch just before Christmas and absolutely love it. I’ve had one takeaway coffee form the place I used to like before getting the machine and it tasted like muck. While it was expensive I’m absolutely thrilled with it.

Advertisement