Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time To Hurt Again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Evan Scully

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done Evan no better man to get that sub 17 min are you aiming for the Clonliffe I hear it is a good one

Yes I did , I remember at around 3k we were heding down hill and it was very slippy underfoot

I'll do the Navan 5k. Its a decent course. Slight uphill in the last 1k but the rest is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

think I need to study your log a bit closer...............

Great racing.

I am writing this from Nairobi airport. With two flights down and one still to go, i am feeling fairly drained.
    I have been travelling for 24 hours at this stage. I left Navan at 10am irish time. A flight to Amsterdam. 4 hour layover. 8 hour flight to Nairobi. 6 hour layover. 1 hour flight to Eldoret and then about 75min drive up to Iten.

The main reason for me coming here is to work with Arthur Lannigan O Keefe. A multiple world champion and 8th in the Olympic pentathlon (swimming, fencing, show jumping, running, shooting).
    I have been working with Arthur for years now (as a therapist) and this time, we decided to head up to the mecca of running. He flew out on Stephens day. Because I have been here before, once i tell the athletes that I am coming up, I end up working with a lot more. So I will be working with the Robertson twins from New Zealand. They both have debuted a 2.08 marathon and have both broke 60mins for a half.
    Ive been to Iten twice before so I am used to the time it takes to get there. It doesnt make it easier tho! Ive always travelled alone. I think its easier travelling this distance on my own. I like my own company so its pleasurable to be able to do what I want when i want and not have to make sure someone else is ok.
    I will be up in Iten

So for my sub 17 attempt at the Navan 5k. Heres what went down.
    The short story. It didn’t happen.
    For a few days beforehand I had a terrible CF tummy pain.
    I don’t see this as an excuse, and I see yesterday as a victory. I ran the race to prove I can give it my all instead of letting the stomach pain win. It’s another victory over CF and I’m happy with the effort I gave. Sometimes it’s not all about times, but overcoming the voice in your head that tries to tell you you can’t or you shouldn’t.

Anyway! My next race is Trim 10 mile. I will be a week down from altitude which isn't the best time to race but i will see what happens. Because im only working with a few athletes up here, I can train loads. Hopefully twice a day.
    I will have loads of content up on my social media, youtube, and i started a new podcast (iTunes and podbean. Not sure why i cant upload onto Spotify yet. It says verified so maybe search my name and it might pop up). Give it a subscribe. I will have guests up on it (the names mentioned about plus a few more).

Hope everyone had a good christmas and i wish you a PB filled 2020!

Kenyan wifi is to blame for me MIA.
    I couldnt load up Boards as the wifi was so bad! I gave up trying to connect. However, when I was on my way home I started to feel really sick. I got into Paris, turned on my phone and heard about Corona. I started to think I had it!
    Anyway, remember that cough I had since July? Well it turns out ive had 2 different lung infections at the same time and a Bit D deficiency. The hospital knew about this since October but I was only told about it when i asked. I presumed my sample was clear because they never told me.
    So 2 anti biotics and some steroids for 2 weeks, I was down to one chest infection. I couldn't run for 3 weeks because a side effect of one of the antibiotics is a tendon rupture.
    I presume my Vit D is back up as i was in Kenya for a month.

While im on the topic of Kenya.
    I got in some serious training. Running up to 70 miles a week. I know i was there to work but because the community of people up there are runners, you end up doing more then what you were planning. I was feeling good.
    One run that was the tipping point to when I started to feel sick was a 15 milers. We started at 8am but it was 25 degrees and the lad we hired to drive behind us to give us drinks and gels couldnt drive further then 35 minutes. Huge road works. We didnt think it was a big deal but the next time we had a drink was 90mins. I usually dont take much on my long runs at home but in Kenya, i need salt. CF is a salt regulation thing that effects the lungs, not necessarily a lung disease! Its a long story. Anyway, i dont retain salt. So when I sweat, i lose so much salt. 25 degrees doing 15 miles wasnt ideal. i was supposed to do 17 but I went into the red zone. We all cut our run short. One of the lads couldnt run the last 6 minutes. Later that day I kept cramping up in parts of my body i never would cramp. IE my hands. I was freezing and kept sneezing. I took the next day off running. Ran the following day but my HR was 160 going downhill. Going uphill it was close to 180. We were jogging. I knew something was up.
    So if CF is a salt problem. And if i lost too much salt, then my symptoms will be worse, and my God they were.

The last thing I'll say about Kenya is that I ran in the illegal AlphaFlys. So the one with the 3 plates and 50mm stack height. They felt illegal but they felt unreal!

I missed 3 weeks running. First run back was 1 mile. My quads felt like I ran up a mountain. My lung function dropped 12%. Thankfully, its now back up to my highest ever.
    I am now up to 16 miles for my long run. Ran a 5 mile tempo on tuesday in 6.05 avg.
    Im after doing something I would never suggest anyone I coach to do! But i am the litmus test! I know its absolute madness to do what I am doing by racing a half marathon next weekend. I will have trained for 3 weeks. Ive been trying to compact all the training in in such a short space of time. Last week I ran 2 sessions back to back (thurs and friday) and then a 16 mile the following day in 7.22s avg.
    Im after getting myself fairly fit in a short space of time. What im doing isn't sustainable so i will calm down after Bohermeen!! Ive no idea what shape im in. With my training in kenya, I would have said 76/77 but now I think ill be lucky to run 82/83. Ill give it a bash and see what happens.

Because I cant link anything here, I have a podcast with Darragh McElhinney (he is the second fastest 5k junior runner in Europe with a time of 13.54). I have a workout video on my youtube channel with Darragh, Michael Power (13.59 in Armagh), Thos Hayes and Daragh Fitzgibbon.
    I also have a podcast coming with Zane Robertson (he and his twin jake moved to Kenya when they were 17 without their parents. Ive been working with the two since 2013. They have a great story so I hope the podcast is a good listen).
    I also have one with Derek Rae, a silver medalist in the Paralympic marathon. He has a PB of 2.27.
    You can get all these podcasts on Apple, SoundCloud and Podbean. Just type my name in.

Good man Evan, good to see you well again!! Looking fwd to listening to the Pods next week.

I think just as you got to Kenya - the Kipsang news broke.
    What was the local reaction to that?

• Advertisement

Usually in Kenya, its everyone else fault instead of the actual athlete. So because he was done for tampering and a missed test, then the locals dont believe it. They think he is clean.

BOHERMEEN HALF

So I predicted 82/83. I wasnt sure where I was getting this from but I figured I was in or around that time. Maybe closer to 84mins.
    I finished in 82.14.

The race plan was go out at 6.30s and kick on a little at mile 3.

Mile 1My first mile was 6.17 and it felt like I had to hold myself back. I met a lad from my club and we were talking about the race and what not. His plan was to do marathon pace which was somewhere 6.30-6.40.

Mile 2 On the second mile (going uphill) i still wanted to run conservative so I pulled it back. 6.28.

Mile 3 6.19. I stopped looking at my watch and just ran on feel. I had a nice group of 3.

Mile 4 6.16. I was still thinking Im going to blow up doing this pace but I felt really comfortable.

Mile 5 6.20. My heart rate was still fairly low for the pace I was doing.

Mile 6 6.17. This mile was slightly uphill and there was a strong headwind. Luckily a man that flew by my meant i could use him as shelter. I was going to be selfish at this stage because the same race last year, everyone else sat in behind me for the whole race. PS im 5'5 so im the wrong person to hide behind

Mile 7 6.20. This is where you come by everyone and start onto your second lap. Naturally everyone starts to pick it up when people are shooting at you, but I was still thinking I might die. Not because of the way i was feeling, but the lack on confidence I had from lack of training.

Mile 8 6.17. This is the part where the next 2 hills are, plus a headwind. Still felt ok.

Mile 9 6.22. All hell broke loose and a horizontal storm with hail was smashing me in the face. I couldnt see and thank go nobody was in front of me. i would have just ran into them. I actually laughed and said "dont slow down. Ill be done quicker if I go faster"

Mile 9 6.22. Into a really strong headwind and slightly uphill. I was soaked but I felt strong.

Mile 10 6.21. Only a Park Run left.

Mile 11 6.23. I was thinking, if I go hard and kill myself, its not really going to matter. I was on my own mile for this but I was picking people off. it seemed like they were dying.

Mile 12 6.02 That pussy footing around in the last mile went out the window.

Mile 13 5.58. I was feeling really good. In my head I kept saying "Run Like Bekele". I kept seeing more Meath club runners in front. I knew if we all ran well we could get a country medal. So every place counts. We ended up coming 2nd meath team!!!

mile 0.1 5.26. That hop skip and a jump to get onto the track was kinda annoying but im happy with how I was able to finish so strong.

So now im in a bit of a dilemma. im going on my honeymoon at the start of April. My original plan at the start on Jan was to get a marathon before I go away but with getting sick and not running for 3 weeks and the next week was 13 miles in total. But after Bohermeen, Im thinking I could maybe run 26.2 still and run under 3. The only thing is, the marathons on the 28th of March are bad. So i might run 26.2 in training at sub 3 pace and see what happens and without a taper. Otherwise, I will just do Dunboyne 10k. Ill need to make my mind up before the weekend as If i am doing 26.2 then I will need to run 20 miles this weekend. But sure Dunboyne will probably be cancelled at this rate!!

3x3 MILE

Yesterday, 3 days after the half marathon, I decided to do a session. It was either going to be on the wednesday or thursday but I felt good and had more time on the wednesdays.
    When I started the warm up, I wasnt sure what to do. It was wither 2x4 mile or 3x3 mile. As you can see in nice bold lettering, I went for the latter option!

2 mile warm up (8.14, 8.05)

Set 1 6.22, 6.20, 6.19
    3min rest (0.28 of a mile)
    Set 2 6.15, 6.17, 6.16
    3 min rest (0.24 of a mile)
    Set 3 6.15, 6.19, 6.12

TOTAL - 11.75 mile

Fairly consistent in all of them. My last set was fairly undulating, but i managed to get some sort of consistency in the pacing.
    My HR never went above 170. Considering my warm up HR started to go into the 150s, I was thinking i wasnt recovered enough from the half on sunday but turns out I was ok!

I still haven't made my mind up about whether to do 26.2 in training or a 10k race. I am thinking that the Dunboyne 10k will be cancelled and I am also thinking that I can get away with doing a decent 10k with marathon training but you'll run a bad 26.2 with 10k training. Hence my 3x3 mile.
    I was also thinking that if i did a 10k type session yesterday, I would have been goosed with the half. I probably would have ended up injured. I dont know why I am making up a reason for doing the 3x3!! HAHA.

Anyway, i should be hitting 50 miles for the week. Hoping to get up in the 60s and possibly 70s during the summer and hold it for a whole marathon block and be ready for whichever marathon I am doing.

Boards is like mindfulness, you have to remember to be mindful to be practice mindfulness to be mindful.
    I keep forgetting to update this.

I dont even know where to start off. I suppose the best thing that has happened in the last while is being on the World Athletics site (formally IAAF). I cant believe they did an article on me TBH. I always looked at that site for features of athletes that I get inspired by, and now I am on it. WTF!
    https://www.worldathletics.org/be-active/lifestyle/evan-scully-cystic-fibrosis-coronavirus-runni?fbclid=IwAR0h0c8L3gdNvKeTDGkkhgO3GWamwMwQdC3DpXUR-DmpCocR-AA0nXHjjI8

So everyone has asked me how have I been with this whole virus given that im classed in the "extremely medically vulnerable". Its kinda funny but also I feel like i should worry even tho I was in the paper during the week saying Im not worried. I still am not worried about it. Ive been in quarantine for 16 days now. Only leave the house to run down country roads and then back in. I havent actually seen anyone in those 16 days apart from my wife. TBH, i actually love being quarantined. I get to focus on being a coach more. I also get stuff done in the house that I usually put to the side. The house has never looked as clean.
    My training has gone really well. Theres too many days to update on but ive been clocking 60-70 miles a week and 2 sessions a week plus a long run.
    7 mile tempo in 6.10 per mile. That was a solid run.
    I then just started to chase strava segments in Navan. Got a few but now I cant run outside of the 2km kill zone. I am also only running 30 mins a day and being a good little citizen. I had planned on 22 miles today but I ran 4.5 miles instead which was exactly 30.00mins.
    We need to either do a marathon in our back garden or else 30 minutes out n the roads. Dont be taking the mick and just put up with the next 2 weeks.

Hope everyone is keeping well! Stay safe.

My monthly update! Im so bad at this! Get your cuppa ready so!

Im now on my 8th week as a full time athletes. Some lad on instagram inboxed me and asked how do I juggle work and being a pro athlete!!! hahahaha.

Ive been doing 3 weeks around 60miles a week with a down week at the end of it. I find the down week impossible to get motivated to get out. Structure just goes out the window. So I need to be a bit more disciplined during those weeks.
    My week usually consists of

Monday - Easy 8 miles + S&C
    Tuesday - Session (i never really do the same session)
    Wednesday - Easy 10 miles
    Thursday - Session
    Friday - Easy 8
    Saturday - 15ish miles
    Sunday - Rest

Because I coach myself, I usually head out the door and decide on my warm up what i will do. Its always an element of surprise! With warm up and warm down I usually cover somewhere between 10-12 miles.
    Some days I could do 7 mile tempo at slightly faster then marathon pace.
    The likes of today was

3 mile warm up
    1 mile - 5.28
    3min rest jog
    10x45s on/off ( i was hitting 4.38-4.50 per mile pace)
    3 min rest jog
    1 mile - 5.24

Firstly, I will probably be on Joe Duffy tomorrow trying to defend myself from me shouting at a mam and her two kids who took up the whole path (the was a river both sides of the path) in a starfish/ Gemma O Doherty protest stance. WTF! My HR spiked up to 178 with me shouting "GET THE F**K IN SINGLE FILE". Dont ask me what she was at but as soon as i finished the mile (which I was on for a 5.10 mile pace until that incident) i regretted it. I was going to jog back and excuse myself but i knew she would have been as angry as me.

My long runs have been decent enough apart from last weekends one. I just wasnt feeling it at all. I was about to ring Yas (my wife) after 3 miles to come collect me. I was struggling to run 7 min pace. So i just ran without looking at a watch or or trying to hit a certain pace. I struggled home for another 12 miles. Had to sleep for 2 hours after.

The only reason I leave the house is to run. Im in a "extremely vulnerable category" so I am supposed to be cocooning. Which I suppose I am. Today was the first day I went into the town to run which ended up quite badly. I usually run on the country roads which are plentiful outside of Navan. I think I am getting agoraphobia as well after 8 weeks of not seeing anyone. hahaha. I shouldn't joke about that but I do think a lot of people will feel slightly vulnerable/uneasy about meeting people in the future.
    I also think that CF Chic will come into fashion. I am to wear a face mask when Im in hospital or on a plane which i dont do because its really hard to breath with a mask on you for a few hours. Luckily, Under Armour are sending me an athletic face mask. Not sure what an athletic face mask is but it sounds swanky. Other then that, I wear a Vog Mask which are quite comfortable and washable as well. They use a good filter system in it so it good quality.

I think ive rabbited on enough here. I wont say I will keep you up to date as I know myself I wont! But hopefully it wont be as long as the last time.

Hope everyones training is going good, and dont be worrying if you TT doesnt go to plan. A big difference between a race and a TT is that you have people running beside you in a race. Its easier to pull the plug in a TT. So my advice is to go off easier in the TT. Keep an eye on the watch to make sure you aren't going off like a lunatic. Then finish strong!

• Advertisement

Evan: Would you advocate staying on a structured plan or focusing on weaknesses (like pure speedwork and hills as an example).

...................asking for a friend.

Evan: Would you advocate staying on a structured plan or focusing on weaknesses (like pure speedwork and hills as an example).

...................asking for a friend.

This is a perfect time for your friend to focus on the weaknesses. When a race does become available, the training turns to race specific workouts.
    I think the pure speed aspect should be incorporated.
    Maybe once a week, add in anything from 100-400m reps. The following week, do the same workout but on hills. The recovery should be long if you are looking to work on pure speed. For the hills, very very easy jog back or even a walk.
    The other workout during the week should be a longer based session. So maybe something like 1k reps up to 5k reps (or 3mile reps now that your friend has gone back to miles instead of KMs).
    A tempo could replace the longer reps if you dont want to do another session during the week. Possibly replace your long run by adding a long tempo. Like Warm up, 6-10 mile tempo at marathon pace. warm down. You'll still be clocking up a good amount of miles that day anyway. So during that week, you are covering nearly every aspect of training. Because of the extra stimulus or even an extra session, everything in between should be extremely easy so that you can hit the sessions better. Extremely easy being maybe 2.30-3min per mile slower then MP.

(or 3mile reps now that your friend has gone back to miles instead of KMs).

you know him as well :)

Navan 6km TT

I hate TT's. Mainly because they make me nervous. Usually in a race you know everyone around you is in the same boat. There is comfort in known that everyone is about to suffer just as much as you are!
    I wasnt 100% on whether id do it so decided after my 2 mile warm up. I gave a few strides during the warm up to see how i felt. I felt bouncy and strong so why not try it.
    Ran back to the house and changed into my racers. No, not a carbon plated shoe. Not that I am against them, its just that Under Armour hasn't brought out their carbon shoe yet.

Reps went as follows. KM splits afterwards.

5.38, 5.37, 5.29, 5.18 (for 0.75 of a mile)

3.31, 3.28, 3.31, 3.27, 3.22, 3.18

Firstly 6km is not 3.75 miles. I didnt change my watch over to KMs. So i ran .4 of a mile longer which is about 60-70m longer i think. Anyway, it doesnt matter. its a TT.
    I split a 5km in 17.04. This is the most annoying part because those of you who have been reading this, I wanted to get sub 17 in Jingle Bells. If I knew I was so close to sub 17 today, I would have pushed it a bit more. I thought i was on for about 17.30-17.40. Ill save it for another day so!

I always have a yoghurt, yop or yazoo before I head out the door. I have hypoglycemia (as well as CF). So if i dont have something in my stomach then ill have a seizure. Today i tried a toffee yoghurt, which was delicious. If you are in Aldi get that Specially Selected yoghurts. Absolutely fantastic. But the toffee one isn't so fun when you are doing a TT. I got sick into the Boyne afterwards. I tried to keep it in. Its bad enough coughing because of my CF and everyone thinking ive full blown Corona, but getting sick everywhere doesnt exactly instil confidence in the bystander. Luckily, the only bystander was another runner so I think he could sympathise.

Honestly, i didnt think id run any mile under 5.50 let alone do 5.31 avg. Im delighted with todays run. It would have placed me top 10 in last years race. This time two years ago when I ran in the race I finished in 21.57. So to run over a minute quicker gives a good confidence boost.

I'm also thinking of getting a coach. Mainly because I dont want to have to think about what I am doing. Ive been coaching myself for years now but I kinda miss having a coach. To have a person from the outside looking in and advising me on what to do. Ill update more when I know myself! haha.

Jaysis, has it really been May since my last post?
    So shortly after my last post I took a bit of a break. When I say break, I dont really take a full break as I need to keep running. Not that its an obsession, id rather not run on a break TBH. Ive to run every 2-3rd day to keep my lungs clear. (if youre a new reader - I have cystic fibrosis)

So shortly after my break I was just going to take things easy until Kate O Neill asked me would I do the Castleknock 5km virtual race. I was just going to tempo it during a 10 mile run but ended up running 18.10. Happy enough with the effort as it was on a sort of trail/river path. I also wasnt going to do the Dunshaughlin 10k TT but seen as I was making everyone I coach do it, I felt I probably should, and that I help organise the race each year. The plan that day was to do 3x2 miles at about half marathon pace. When my first 2 miles came in under 6, I switched to doing 3x2 mile to a TT. Ended up with 36.20. Delighted with that.

I knew this sort of reckless behaviour isn't sustainable and isn't good at all! I pulled it back a bit and just ran long tempos and increased the long runs. Until I decided to help out a client who is getting ready for Tokyo. He's a Pentathlete but runs 15.15 in a Park Run. Its who I went to Kenya for as well.
    So his sessions are very speed based. Usually around the 5.00 mile mark for 1 mile and then very short 20-30s hill sprints. Somehow, maybe because I threw myself into the deep end, I was able to keep up. I said "if he is doing 5 mins at that pace then i'll be happy to help him out for 3 mins".
    So towards the end of 2019 I said I want to break 17 for 5km. Since doing actual 5km sessions now I feel like I could possibly break 16. I might be reaching here but after doing the sessions and keeping up, I might just possibly be able to do it.

As far as my tempos and longer stuff goes. Last saturday i ran 17 miles total. 3 mile warm up, 11 miles at 6.18 avg with my last mile in 5.29. 3 mile warm down. I dont know where I pulled this from either TBH. But things seem to be heading in the right direction.

Right now im sipping my cuppa before heading out the door to do 18 miles. Looks like a cracker of a day for it as well.
    Hope everyone has come through the other side of this lockdown in better shape (although, im not sure we are through it!!).

yea, so that 18 miler was sick and I got sick at around 9 miles.
    As you might have seen from Strava, i took a 2 year out of date pineapple gel at mile 9. It had lumps in it and no, it wasnt pineapple chunks. It was curdled. Roasting hot day, hot gone off gel, loads of hills and getting sick from the gel. It wasnt a fun run.
    Thought I had Corona on sunday. Felt much the same on monday so being honest, I answered no on the tracker app. Shat myself as i was thinking if i pressed no that i would have hazmat suited people knocking on my door quicker then your pizza delivery guy. Turns out you have to answer a load more questions afterwards.
    Anyways, total drama queen moment. I ran 5 miles and felt decent on the run but felt fairly poo after it.
    I had planned a 2x1km nearly all out on the tuesday with 5x150m after it. I decided now is not the time to be doing all out 1kms so planned a 12km session instead!!! Easier pace then the 1kms obvs! It was split up like
    2km - marathon pace
    1km - half marathon pace.
    no rest and keep that going until i reach 12km.
    My 2kms were around 3.57/3.58
    My 1kms were around 3.37 apart from my last one which was 3.24. I felt good so I wanted to be a hero on the last rep!!!!! I hate those type of people.
    I avg 6.07 for 7.5 miles which im delighted with.

I really hope Ratotath Half goes ahead. I feel like Im in shape and want to test out if the training has worked. Im basically doing 5km training but trying to do long runs as well. Ive only really done 2 long sessions in the last 6 weeks. So ill see how that works out!
    Ive a bit more time to do half paced sessions before Ratoath. But maybe only 4 of them. Ive the endurance built up from a solid year of so far of being a full time athlete thanks to Covid! Im up to 18 miles already (which is more like marathon training...which i have at the end of Nov).

The rest of the week will be easy until sat. I will do some sort of longish reps at between 10k and half pace. Not sure what yet. probably just make it up on my warm up!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I've driven by you a couple of times out on the roads of Meath in the last couple of weeks. Must give you a follow on Strava.

I've driven by you a couple of times out on the roads of Meath in the last couple of weeks. Must give you a follow on Strava.

No way!!!! What car are ya driving! Most times if someone beeps at me ive no idea who they are. So if you beep at me in the future then ill know who it is!

This week was a bit meh.
    Monday started well. 6miles with 5x30s on/off.
    Tuesday - 2 mile warm up. 2x4 mile with 4 min rest. 2 mile warm down. This was a totally made up session after 2 miles into my session. i wanted to run 4x2 mile but after 2 mile i changed it to 2x4 mile. This is what happens when you are self coached and get a bit bored mid session! I was aiming to do the 4x2 mile at half marathon pace. When i switched it up I went for 2miles at marathon pace straight into 2 miles at marathon pace. There is method to my madness. If you go out fast and then try to settle into marathon pace, it does two things.
    1 - make you feel like you are running on tired legs like at the end of the marathon without doing the 20 mile beforehand. Doesnt totally replicate it but it helps.
    2 - it makes you feel like marathon pace is now your recovery pace!

My paces were 5.50ish per mile for the first 2 mile and 6.05ish for the marathon. Dont get excited. I am not thinking that my marathon pace is 6.10!!! Defo not at the moment anyway. I dont imagine 5.50 is my half either. But it felt ok for the session.

Wednesday I was working from 10am until 8pm. So I knew if i ran id just make things worse. What is the point in that. Thursday I dismantled 4 stages so it was like a 3 hour gym session! I then had to go to my clinic to do my actual work! Friday was just an easy 5 mile.
    Saturday was 15 miles. I had planned to do 18 but with Ratoath cancelled, there is very little point trying to push up the miles. So ran 15 with a 7.33 avg with two girls i coach. My HR was 133 which is fairly low. Not sure if thats saying im fit or that my HR strap is broken.

I ran 38 miles this week with 4 days of training. A semi down week.
    I am half thinking of still doing a half marathon in training on the weekend of Ratoath which was the 12th of Sept. Unless people know of any other half marathon that is on in Sept?
    I want to see how id get on in a 10k as well.
    I think next week i will try go about 50 miles in a 5 day week. I still have a marathon to train for at the end of Nov. If that doesnt go ahead then I will still do the 26.2 distance.
    Hope everyones week was good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

No way!!!! What car are ya driving! Most times if someone beeps at me ive no idea who they are. So if you beep at me in the future then ill know who it is!

A banged up Saab usually :D

I'll be sure to give you a beep.

• Advertisement

I finally did it. I broke 17 mins for 5km.

The race was Drogheda and District. 3km on gravel paths, 1km out and back. Not exactly a fun course for fast times. it was also about 80m longer then 5k. My chip time was 16.32 but on the Garmin and strava it says 16.21. Eitherway I was inside 17.
    However, i was aiming for sub 16. I felt I was in shape to do so or be fairly close to it. Looking at times from a lot of people, there were about 15-20s slower then usual. Anyway, i think sub 16 is in me before the end of the year. I will need all my fingers crossed to do so!

I had another race 6 days later. 6km XC. I was 3rd Meath novice and 5th overall (i think). Time doesnt matter on XC. Its just about placing. Very happy with the result.
    I was also to do Meath Senior this weekend but it looks like it wont be going ahead unless Meath Seniors is considered elite level!!!
    Other then that, everything has been consistent. I ran about 4 key sessions leading up to the 5k.

6x6km (3km pace - so around 4.45-4.50) with 2min rest between.
    2x(4x800m) at 5k pace (2.31-3.33) with 2min rest between reps and 5min between sets.
    2x(10x200) in 34ish with 100m float recovery in 35-40s (5min between sets)
    11x400 + 1x600m (all around 75s pace including the 600m.) 60s rest between. This was on road. Felt awkward doing 400m reps on road. Very hard to pace correctly.

So looking back at this, i think what is missing is long reps like 4x1500m at 5km pace or even 2x2km. I think this is where I can improve on. The above sessions are grand but when it comes to 3.5km onward, that is where you will notice not doing the longer reps.

Anyway, if we are going in to another lockdown then Ill be able to train more. There is always a silver lining!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Nice one, especially with 3k on gravel. Congrats

MY BAD wrote: »
    Nice one, especially with 3k on gravel. Congrats

Cheers! Feels like i was chasing it for ages!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Mendelsohn33

Cheers! Feels like i was chasing it for ages!

It's 50-50 at this stage.
    I mean I am very buttblasted and sore about orange trump being president.
    I was a moderator on a political discussion board in 2015 2016 and I bet all my eggs on hillary
    Now nobody respects my opinion on political matters
    So ya
    I will ban anybody
    Co's I was wrong.

I need to buy some trump butt salve cream because I was so wrong
    And every body sees it

Advertisement