Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Watch (Terry Pratchett) [BBC America]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

blueshade wrote: »
    Scarlet for ya. The artwork on the books reflects how Pratchett imagined the characters. Lady Sybil was not a black slim vigilante and the Patrician was a man. Now people can get their panties in a bunch and insult other posters as much as they like but it will not change the reality that the American version is nothing but a woke attempt at marketing a different story to a new audience by pretending to be something it isn't.

Book reading Pratchett fans will be appalled but non Pratchett readers seeing it on TV will probably lap it up. It is not The Watch and I'll be giving it a miss.

I’ve no idea what woke means but well aware of the people that use the term. Let’s leave it there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Scarlet for ya. The artwork on the books reflects how Pratchett imagined the characters. Lady Sybil was not a black slim vigilante and the Patrician was a man. Now people can get their panties in a bunch and insult other posters as much as they like but it will not change the reality that the American version is nothing but a woke attempt at marketing a different story to a new audience by pretending to be something it isn't.

Book reading Pratchett fans will be appalled but non Pratchett readers seeing it on TV will probably lap it up. It is not The Watch and I'll be giving it a miss.

I agree with you it's an American version, and for reasons known only to themselves they are trying to be 'edgy' - call that 'woke' if you like, and it's not what Pratchett wrote so, imo, they should just go off and create their own original story if they want and leave his alone.

But it's not the fault of feminism.

And the book covers are chosen by the publishers - rarely do the authors get a say - and which version? I bought each work as they were first published so I have them going back to the 80s right up to the Shepard's Crown and the artwork changes according to publication editions/dates.

You know what they say about judging a book by it's cover :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have to disagree with people who say that Lady Sybil's race doesn't matter. It would be difficult to find a character that is more typical of old white British Empire than Sybil. To suggest that her skin colour doesn't matter is ridiculous. The only reason to make her young and black is to pander to a woke audience who complain about a lack of diversity.

The only intrinsic aspect of Sybil's appearance was her large-bosomed, heavyset figure & relative plain appearance. There was absolutely no reason an afro-caribbean, middle-aged woman couldn't have worked here, and work well given the nature of Sybil's written personality. While a bit of a riff on the Agatha Christie mould, Sybil's persona wasn't so explicitly "white" that you couldn't sketch around the edges (there are plenty of barber jacket clichés to go around).

And as said, given Ankh Morpork is MEANT to be a melting pot of absorbed cultures, it would play into that underlying aspect of the novels.

Anyway, neither of us are happy with the production, that much is clear, but IMO the 'black' aspect is totally incidental here, compared with the open 'sexing' up, and broad reconstruction of a character who no longer bares any foundational similarity with the written version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    'Feminist media' ?
    Ah for feck sake. I'm a feminist and I think it's complete crap changing the genders so don't be trying to lay that one on us like. :rolleyes:

I want it the way Pratchett wrote it because the way he wrote it was the right way because it was his creation.

You don't own feminism, and neither do they. I'm just trying to come up with an explanation for what they're trying to do. They wanted to do a feminism. It's up to feminists critics to determine whether or not they did that well.

The rest of us can pass judgement on it as the failure it will presumably be as an adaptation.

I wish they didn't have the rights to the IP to do that, because I don't think Pratchett or his estate would be keen, but ultimately, it doesn't matter.

As we saw with the Golden Compass and His Dark Materials, a few years can be all it takes for a different, competent team to get their hands on the material and make something worthwhile (at least HDM is so far, anyway).

As far as I know Pratchett had little enough to do with the covers.
    Sure, in the first book, Twoflower is drawn as a sort of four-eyed mutant because the artist didn't understand that they were describing glasses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gbear wrote: »
    As far as I know Pratchett had little enough to do with the covers.
    Sure, in the first book, Twoflower is drawn as a sort of four-eyed mutant because the artist didn't understand that they were describing glasses.

Wait, what? Really? LOL, mortified for the illustrator in that case! :D

*goes off to google*

• Advertisement

Loved all the original covers. Caught the tone and whimsical feel of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, I don't think anyone here has said this isn't

1/ Americans be lazy and ruining another great British authors work
    2/ A lazy attempt at being woke.

However, it's important to note that woke =/= feminism.

Nobody has insulted anyone, and frankly I believe if someone reading this thinks they're being attacked or insulted, then they may have deeper issues to resolve for themselves.

-Most-, if not all, posters on this are openly saying the casting choices are being done poorly, the altering of a characters backstory is a dreadful idea.

The skin colour of Sybil does not impact the character at all, just like with someone like Colon or CMOT. Compared to someone like Carrot who is ginger who's skin colour obviously reflects that.

Also true that discworld is a bit of an institution in this part of the world. Can’t imagine they were anything like as popular books in the US. So they’re probably thinking they can adapt and change as the audience in the most part won’t be familiar with the canon and won’t know or care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I agree with you it's an American version, and for reasons known only to themselves they are trying to be 'edgy' - call that 'woke' if you like, and it's not what Pratchett wrote so, imo, they should just go off and create their own original story if they want and leave his alone.

But it's not the fault of feminism.

And the book covers are chosen by the publishers - rarely do the authors get a say - and which version? I bought each work as they were first published so I have them going back to the 80s right up to the Shepard's Crown and the artwork changes according to publication editions/dates.

You know what they say about judging a book by it's cover :p

I never suggested blaming feminism. Pratchett female characters are usually strong capable independent women who don't rely on men to save them, in fact it's more likely them that saves the day. It's just another example of changing things for the sake of diversity. Yes, diversity is important but there's no need to change ethnicity of characters.

As soon as someone suggested having a black woman play a white female character it became a race issue. I'd agree that where a characters skin colour isn't a factor then it doesn't matter but most people imagine Lady Sybil as a middle aged white woman, not a young black woman. It's only a book, but the books are like old friends that I read again over the years so it is annoying to see that the television version isn't the same as the book, then again I won't be watching it. :D

I never suggested blaming feminism. Pratchett female characters are usually strong capable independent women who don't rely on men to save them, in fact it's more likely them that saves the day. It's just another example of changing things for the sake of diversity. Yes, diversity is important but there's no need to change ethnicity of characters.

As soon as someone suggested having a black woman play a white female character it became a race issue. I'd agree that where a characters skin colour isn't a factor then it doesn't matter but most people imagine Lady Sybil as a middle aged white woman, not a young black woman. It's only a book, but the books are like old friends that I read again over the years so it is annoying to see that the television version isn't the same as the book, then again I won't be watching it. :D

Apologies. You didn't. It was another poster. I just added that as a general comment in my reply to you.

• Advertisement

I’ve no idea what woke means but well aware of the people that use the term. Let’s leave it there.

That's a very juvenile statement to make, we'll have to agree to disagree. Some people can make a point and back it up, others jump on a high horse and don't notice that it's a donkey. :)

That's a very juvenile statement to make, we'll have to agree to disagree. Some people can make a point and back it up, others jump on a high horse and don't notice that it's a donkey. :)

Juvenile is using ridiculous terminology from the American far right and airlifting it and the accusation of ‘agenda’ into every single conversation possible.
    It’s so transparent and tiresome.

You’re probably ‘triggered’ by the ‘trans’ in that last bit too given your earlier post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I'd agree that where a characters skin colour isn't a factor then it doesn't matter but most people imagine Lady Sybil as a middle aged white woman, not a young black woman.

She is white in the books but the white is never attached to anything so what difference does it make if its changed? How is it a factor? I don't think most readers would care if the only change was that she was now black.

The bigger issue is how she is good bit younger and how far her character is changed. That's the big problem with the whole thing - the heavy-handed alteration of character backgrounds and motivations. The relationships and character interactions are a large part of what makes Discworld so good. Substantially changing even a few of the main characters personalities is going to have knock-on effects and it's going to be very hard for it still feel connected and real.

She is white in the books but the white is never attached to anything so what difference does it make if its changed? How is it a factor? I don't think most readers would care if the only change was that she was now black.

The bigger issue is how she is good bit younger and how far her character is changed. That's the big problem with the whole thing - the heavy-handed alteration of character backgrounds and motivations. The relationships and character interactions are a large part of what makes Discworld so good. Substantially changing even a few of the main characters personalities is going to have knock-on effects and it's going to be very hard for it still feel connected and real.

As soon as someone suggested a black actress it was an issue. When casting for an actress for someone to play the character of Sybil a black actress would not even have been on the radar but somebody decided that they needed a strong black female character. Now while the black actress in Watchmen is absolutely fantastic the character of Lady Sybil is an entirely different fish. The fact that they've made her even younger is another aspect entirely.

This version seems to be like going to the cinema to see a film about Lassie and getting a film about Giraffes. I'm not really surprised that it's being shown in America and not the UK, European readers would be horrified. Diversity is a good thing, but we don't need to go out of the way to make white characters black for the sake of it. Lady Sybil is no more a young black woman than James Bond is black or a woman. Even with the female wizard, I mean they really couldn't have missed the point any worse than they did.

The Witches are portrayed as much better and more practical and clever than the Wizards and make do without all the fancy robes and spells and big dinners. The Witches are out in the world doing the real work and getting on with it while the Wizards are in USU stuffing themselves, bitching and sniping at each other. :D

Just to be clear, what female wizard are we talking about in the cast list, cos I never saw anything about that.

And out of curiousity, does the race-switching of Lord Boreal(sp) in His Dark Materials bother you? Or Harvey Dent in the '89 Batman, etc etc.? Is it a blanket disapproval or just the convenient cultural baggage that's going around these days; cos there's nothing that uniquely new about gender or race switching in fiction.

I wonder if those so put out by women and minorities being represented want to go back to only men being allowed act and playing all the women’s parts...although that might confuse their objections to trans folks too...tricky

Didn’t Maskerade touch on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Scarlet for YOU. The covers are what Josh Kirby and Paul Kidby imagined the characters to be.

And which cover is The Colour of Magic that pops out to you?

64584ce6bf25fd58ccd2b03b6b3e7452.jpg

28xkocskv3r21.jpg

51chrfXHMNL.jpg

Or none of the above?

As soon as someone suggested a black actress it was an issue. When casting for an actress for someone to play the character of Sybil a black actress would not even have been on the radar but somebody decided that they needed a strong black female character. Now while the black actress in Watchmen is absolutely fantastic the character of Lady Sybil is an entirely different fish. The fact that they've made her even younger is another aspect entirely.

This version seems to be like going to the cinema to see a film about Lassie and getting a film about Giraffes. I'm not really surprised that it's being shown in America and not the UK, European readers would be horrified. Diversity is a good thing, but we don't need to go out of the way to make white characters black for the sake of it. Lady Sybil is no more a young black woman than James Bond is black or a woman.

Are you saying the difference between white and black people is like the difference between dogs and giraffes? :confused:
    You are conflating the issue of changing her character (her motivations and her age, which impacted storylines in the books) with changing her race (which had no impact in books).
    I don't see any problem with a black James Bond, Idris Elba would have made a good one without needing to change anything of the essence of the character. A female James Bond would require a bit of a change for the character as it is very strongly defined as male (that doesn't mean it would impossible, but better to make a different female character altogether).

Did you have an issue when they changed Red's character in the Shawshank Redemption movie? (White Irish in the book, Morgan Freeman in the movie).
    Even with the female wizard, I mean they really couldn't have missed the point any worse than they did.

The Witches are portrayed as much better and more practical and clever than the Wizards and make do without all the fancy robes and spells and big dinners. The Witches are out in the world doing the real work and getting on with it while the Wizards are in USU stuffing themselves, bitching and sniping at each other. :D

I agree that having a female wizard does miss the point, but that's because wizards in the book have specific hangups about women and there are books exploring this. Having a woman wizard would negate those books. However, I didn't actually see any announcement of female wizard, do you have a link?

Motion to change the thread title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

However, I didn't actually see any announcement of female wizard, do you have a link?
    From the article linked in the first post -
    Bianca Simone Mannie will play the re-imagined character of Wonse, ‘a wizard hopeful in waiting that is frequently underestimated.’

• Advertisement

Like the rest of the cast, we're going off a slim press release and summary, so it's not clear that the "female wizard" is, in fact, an actual wizard.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2019/11/casting-news-bbc-americas-the-watch-enlists-anna-chancellor-james-fleet-and-more
    Bianca Simone Mannie (Homeland) stars as the cunning Wonse, a wizard hopeful in waiting that is frequently underestimated.

To me, that reads like the character wants to be a wizard, but has presumably been rejected due to her gender. On the face of it, it's not the most egregious deviation from the source material's foundation. "Equal Rites" IIRC touched on that very subject - though it's a long time since I read it so I've no idea where it left things. In theory, that single line doesn't necessarily negate the established canon.

Agitating about race though is frippery, certainly in comparison with the more actual problems with Sybil's reimagining. And if anything, it just makes the debate more difficult to express in sober discussion, if folks reduce it to about race.

It's real "wood for trees" stuff.

Scarlet for YOU. The covers are what Josh Kirby and Paul Kidby imagined the characters to be.

And which cover is The Colour of Magic that pops out to you?

64584ce6bf25fd58ccd2b03b6b3e7452.jpg

28xkocskv3r21.jpg

51chrfXHMNL.jpg

Or none of the above?

Perhaps you could explain why you are posting images of the Colour of Magic when the thread is about The Watch? By casting an attractive young black actress in the role of an overweight middle aged upper class white woman they deliberately discriminated against actresses over the age of 40 and against white actresses. You might find that positive discrimination personally I find it ageist and racist. For many years now the leading actresses have complained that once they reach 30 they have huge problems getting roles in films. But you keep beating that it doesn't matter drum. You just aren't getting it. By all means, feel free to post an image from a Pratchett book with a young black Lady Sybil.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like the rest of the cast, we're going off a slim press release and summary, so it's not clear that the "female wizard" is, in fact, an actual wizard.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2019/11/casting-news-bbc-americas-the-watch-enlists-anna-chancellor-james-fleet-and-more

To me, that reads like the character wants to be a wizard, but has presumably been rejected due to her gender. On the face of it, it's not the most egregious deviation from the source material's foundation. "Equal Rites" IIRC touched on that very subject - though it's a long time since I read it so I've no idea where it left things. In theory, that single line doesn't necessarily negate the established canon.

Agitating about race though is frippery, certainly in comparison with the more actual problems with Sybil's reimagining. And if anything, it just makes the debate more difficult to express in sober discussion, if folks reduce it to about race.

It's real "wood for trees" stuff.

How is it frippery? An overweight middle aged white woman with impeccable breeding and gentility being played by a slim attractive young black woman is not the same character end of. Let's not ignore the elephant in the room. It's ageist and racist and pretending it's a positive thing is a lot of bollOx.

How is it frippery? An overweight middle aged white woman with impeccable breeding and gentility being played by a slim attractive young black woman is not the same character end of. Let's not ignore the elephant in the room. It's ageist and racist and pretending it's a positive thing is a lot of bollOx.

As Pratchett describes her
    Sybil is amply portioned yes.
    She is middle aged yes.
    She is aristocratic yes.
    'Genteel' - not so much. Too up to her oxters in dragon droppings for that.

White? Where does Pratchett say she has any particular skin colour?

You are assuming that a black woman cannot be an amply proportioned, posh, rich, middle aged woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

There's not one person here saying it's a good casting choice. Not a single one.

Changing the colour of her skin, in a fictional world, where Ankh Morpork is a melting pot of cultures (Which runs foul of the lumps that won't melt), doesn't affect the character one bit.

Changing her motivations and age is not doing justice to the character. If she was a young, attractive, slim, white woman it'd mean the same.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I was excited when I first heard of this, but I've completely lost interest now. I won't be following any more news, or watching when it comes out. I thought this would be a Practhett/Discworld series, it's clear now that it won't be.

Pratchett was always a feminist writer, sometimes very explicitly so. There was also a great opportunity to do something here with the Cheery Littlebottom character to address LBGTQ and specifically trans issues - this looks unlikely now. But these changes look incredibly clumsy and ill-advised, these are not the characters we know and love.

The Hogfather was pretty good, the other two live adaptations were not great but had some good things going for them. Maybe some day we'll get a truly great tv version of Discworld, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it.

Changing her motivations and age is not doing justice to the character. If she was a young, attractive, slim, white woman it'd mean the same.

This is it in a nutshell.

Once again, no one is saying the rejigging of the character is a good thing. I've already said this countless times, turning her into batman is asinine. But focusing on the race as a specific problem is reductionist on a character where the race is the LEAST of the problems here. Just to be clear: if this version of Sybil read like she did on the page, played by a middle aged, heavyset woman, but the actor was black, would you still object? Because it reads like it does, rather than the more fundamental issue of changing her CHARACTER. So yes, this is 100% wood for trees.

Was it racist when Morgan Freeman was cast as Red in Shawshank Redemption? In the books, Red is white and Irish (hence his nickname being Red).

• Advertisement

Was it racist when Morgan Freeman was cast as Red in Shawshank Redemption? In the books, Red is white and Irish (hence his nickname being Red).

Something something ‘replacement agenda!’

Given his post history.

Advertisement