Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not guilty vs innocent

Options
  • 10-09-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,124 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this topic has been done before. The search function on boards is guff.

I know courts rule on guilt. So there either is or is not enough evidence to find someone guilty of a crime.

But the point I would like to iron out is whether a not guilty verdict is effectively an innocent verdict. Since people are presumed innocent unless proven guilty, is a not guilty verdict effectively a finding of innocence?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It means they couldn't prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt.
    That doesn't mean they are innocent.
    It means they may or may not have committed the crime but the evidence is insufficient or not solid enough to remove all reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,124 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Those two posts above seem to me to be contradictory. Are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence.
    The purpose of a criminal trial is to present enough evidence to prove the accused commited the offence for which they are on trial.
    The presumption of innocence is inviolate, one isn't found not guilty by way of incorrectly collected evidence or technicality.

Not Guilty is a synonym for innocent in a criminal trial.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The presumption of innocence works in such a way that it means if the prosecution fail to prove their case beyond all reasonable doubt, the accused person is regarded as innocent.

So, in real terms, a not guilty verdict means the accused is innocent. Even just from first principles, not guilty means you're not guilty of committing the crime.

In Scotland, they have an alternative verdict of "not proven", which has significant problems and causes more issues than it solves wrt to the gap between sufficient evidence for a conviction and no evidence at all.

At both ends of the scale, because of imperfections in the available means for testing evidence, it is not possible to say with certainty that verdicts of guilty/not guilty are always 100% accurate. But the system is weighted against convicting an innocent person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I posted a very similar question about 18 months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

banie01 wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence.
    The purpose of a criminal trial is to present enough evidence to prove the accused commited the offence for which they are on trial.
    The presumption of innocence is inviolate, one isn't found not guilty by way of incorrectly collected evidence or technicality.

Not Guilty is a synonym for innocent in a criminal trial.

Yes, but in reality just because someone was found not guilty doesn't mean they are innocent. Some horrible crimes have had the accused get off on some technicality or because someone screwed up with evidence or that.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes, but in reality just because someone was found not guilty doesn't mean they are innocent. Some horrible crimes have had the accused get off on some technicality or because someone screwed up with evidence or that.

Au contraire, that's exactly what it means. Not guilty means innocent.

No amount of semantic gymnastics will ever change that so long as our constitution remains intact.

Yes it does.
    Legally they are entirely innocent, that's exactly what it means.

Morally and philosophically, of course criminals have avoided conviction.
    The fact remains however, that no matter what evidence is presented if it was not enough to sway a Judge or Jury beyond the threshold of reasonable doubt then that person is innocent of the crime accused if they are deemed "not guilty"

People can argue the morality and semantics of that innocence.
    But!
    The simple fact is that our justice system is entirely founded upon the basis of innocent until proven guilty.

As such, not guilty = innocent no matter how bunched up it may get knickers or triggered it makes people.

I don't mean that dismissively either.
    Many people, myself included have been involved in matters where it's "known" who is guilty and what they are guilty of.
    However when it goes to court, the weight of evidence isn't sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Not guilty verdict is pretty simple. It means the person was innocent of the charges before the case was brought and that they continue to be innocent after the verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

No amount of semantic gymnastics will ever change that so long as our constitution remains intact.

Well....

I could argue that's not exactly what it means, but, it may be too semantic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Even if "not guilty" means "innocent", a not guilty verdict wouldn't mean that you are innocent; just that you have been found innocent. Objectively speakign, you may in fact be guilty - just as, objectively speaking, someone who has been found guilty may in fact be innocent.

But, in fact, a not guilty verdict does not mean that you have been found innocent. It means that the court has not been satisfied beyond reasonable doub that you are guilty. That's all it means; that's the only question the court ever seeks to answer. "Is he innocent of this charge?" is not a question the court ever asks itself, much less answers.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Even if "not guilty" means "innocent", a not guilty verdict wouldn't mean that you are innocent; just that you have been found innocent. Objectively speakign, you may in fact be guilty - just as, objectively speaking, someone who has been found guilty may in fact be innocent.

But, in fact, a not guilty verdict does not mean that you have been found innocent. It means that the court has not been satisfied beyond reasonable doub that you are guilty. That's all it means; that's the only question the court ever seeks to answer. "Is he innocent of this charge?" is not a question the court ever asks itself, much less answers.

+1

I'll note two posts of mine from the previous time we had this discussion.
    GM228 wrote: »
    I think with regards the presumption of innocence, the vital point is that it simply states the accused must not prove their innocence, rather the prosecution must prove their guilt in accordance with law, that is not the same as saying the accused is innocent, but has that general effect.
    It is not possible in law for a court to "prove" innocence.

There is a distinction between "innocent" and "not guilty", it's important to note that this distinction is relevant because of the way the criminal justice system works.

The burden of proof is on the prosecutor to prove that the accused committed the crime. The reality is that our courts are not really concerned with if a person committed a crime or not, rather the issue is whether or not the prosecutor can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused committed the crime.

Remember Blackstone's ratio - "all presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for the law holds it better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent party suffer", the criminal justice system agrees that wrongful imprisonment/punishment of an innocent person is unacceptable, and so we have the presumption of innocence.

As a result of the presumption the court doesn't place a burden on the accused to prove their innocence, rather there is a requirement for the prosecutor prove the accused guilty, the Golden Thread. If the prosecutor can't do that, then the defendant is "not guilty", and there's no need even to discuss whether the defendant is in fact innocent or not, nor is there a provision in law which allows for such.

In law "not guilty" simply means the prosecutor failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and nothing more - the accused is not culpable for the crime they are accused of.

I have nothing but respect for the views of the two previous posters. They are both lawyers par excellence imo.

But I think this kind of conflation of meanings in what is a straightforward question is utterly dangerous for a public discussion forum in light of what everyone has seen happen to public perception of the meaning of a not guilty verdict.

If a person is found not guilty, there is no proper descriptor for them other than innocent. It's as simple as that. And that is what the presumption really means. Until you are found to be guilty, you are innocent.

The mega issue is the no smoke without fire brigade not able to accept the finding of a court on these things and feathery logic like the above that might be ok for an academic journal is as I say utterly dangerous in a public forum.

I have nothing but respect for the views of the two previous posters. They are both lawyers par excellence imo.

But I think this kind of conflation of meanings in what is a straightforward question is utterly dangerous for a public discussion forum in light of what everyone has seen happen to public perception of the meaning of a not guilty verdict.

If a person is found not guilty, there is no proper descriptor for them other than innocent. It's as simple as that. And that is what the presumption really means. Until you are found to be guilty, you are innocent.

The mega issue is the no smoke without fire brigade not able to accept the finding of a court on these things and feathery logic like the above that might be ok for an academic journal is as I say utterly dangerous in a public forum.

I accept your point Hullaballoo on public perception, and note what I stated:-
    that is not the same as saying the accused is innocent, but has that general effect.

Aren't these sort of threads (albeit naunced) the types we like to discuss?

Perhaps we should post a public announcement for such topics?

Warning: Content not appropriate for the general public:-
    the following feathery logic is ok for an academic journal

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The presumption of innocence works in such a way that it means if the prosecution fail to prove their case beyond all reasonable doubt, the accused person is regarded as innocent.

So, in real terms, a not guilty verdict means the accused is innocent. Even just from first principles, not guilty means you're not guilty of committing the crime.

In Scotland, they have an alternative verdict of "not proven", which has significant problems and causes more issues than it solves wrt to the gap between sufficient evidence for a conviction and no evidence at all.

At both ends of the scale, because of imperfections in the available means for testing evidence, it is not possible to say with certainty that verdicts of guilty/not guilty are always 100% accurate. But the system is weighted against convicting an innocent person.

Correction: The standard of proof is beyond "reasonable doubt" not" all reasonable doubt"
    There is a big difference.

I think this kind of conflation of meanings in what is a straightforward question is utterly dangerous for a public discussion forum in light of what everyone has seen happen to public perception of the meaning of a not guilty verdict.

The flaw here is easily spotted if you simply explore the converse argument: "If a person is found guilty, there is no proper descriptor for them other than guilty. It's as simple as that." But that would mean that the only proper descriptor for the Birmingham Six, the Guildford Four, the Sallins Mail Train Robbers(!), etc is "guilty", which defies common sense, logic and basic decency since they were all, in fact, innocent at all times.

What's simple, and correct, is this: the proper descriptor for someone who is found not guity is "found not guilty" (or "acquitted", if you prefer). The consequences of such a finding are far-reaching; the state must treat you as not having committed the crime with which you were charged, and the double-jeopardy rule prevents the question from being reopened, so in that sense the finding is conclusive and the resulting treatment enduring.

But, though the power of the state is awesome, it is not unlimited. The state's finding cannot alter the objective reality. If the objective reality is that you did commit the crime, but you were found not guilty because the state failed to assemble and present the required evidence, the not guilty finding does not alter the objective reality; you did commit the crime. Conclusive evidence may indeed later emerge that you did commit the crime. This will not alter the finding.

Edgware wrote: »
    Correction: The standard of proof is beyond "reasonable doubt" not" all reasonable doubt"
    There is a big difference.

Actually, in the Supreme Court Hardy vs Ireland [1994] 2 IR 550 case Hederman J confirmed it:-
    requires that the prosecution should prove its case beyond all reasonable doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Apologies if this topic has been done before. The search function on boards is guff.

I know courts rule on guilt. So there either is or is not enough evidence to find someone guilty of a crime.

But the point I would like to iron out is whether a not guilty verdict is effectively an innocent verdict. Since people are presumed innocent unless proven guilty, is a not guilty verdict effectively a finding of innocence?
    Cheers

It's a bit like when you hear a defence lawyer say 'so and so has not come to the attention of the gardai over the last 5 years'
    That doesn't mean that so and so hasn't been out robbing/stealing or whatever his speciality is during the previous 5 years.

The flaw here is easily spotted if you simply explore the converse argument: "If a person is found guilty, there is no proper descriptor for them other than guilty. It's as simple as that." But that would mean that the only proper descriptor for the Birmingham Six, the Guildford Four, the Sallins Mail Train Robbers(!), etc is "guilty", which defies common sense, logic and basic decency since they were all, in fact, innocent at all times.

Reminds me of the question sexmag asked previously:-
    sexmag wrote: »
    Say a person A is brought to trial and given a verdict of guilty regarding a murder.

Footage released the next day shows person B committing said murder, is person A then found innocent and der facoto not guilty?

No, the person would not be found not guilty per se if already found guilty, rather their conviction would need to be quashed and most likely declared a miscarriage of justice.

It's interesting to note that in such a circumstance the accused must apply to the court and prove on the balance of probabilities such a miscarriage of justice.

A person found guilty can not subsequently be found not guilty.

• Advertisement

A person found guilty can not subsequently be found not guilty.
    Not even on, or pursuant to, an appeal?

Not even on, or pursuant to, an appeal?

The original conviction is quashed.

The original conviction is quashed.
    Might a retrial be ordered, which might result in an acquittal?

Might a retrial be ordered, which might result in an acquittal?

Actually yes you are correct, upon retrial a person who was previously found guilty can in fact be acquitted.

My work here is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the way I look at it is that a trial sets out to examine if a person can be proven guilty of carrying out the crime

It does not set out to prove the innocence of the person

If you are found not guilty, this simply means the evidence did not prove you did it. However, it does not declare that you didn't do it either.

But unless guilt is proven then we are all "presumed" to be innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Is there a way, you can be proven inniocent?

As in, I am tried for murdering someone 14 feb 2019.
    During trial, I produce evidence showing I was on stage with Ed sheeran at a concert 14 february 2019, with over 100,000 people there and video evidence, the other side of the world.
    There is no possible way I could have been in Ireland at time.

Would I still be "Not Guilty"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

B-D-P-- wrote: »

yes

Indeed most people would accept you are innocent of the crime along with everyone else who couldn't have been in Ireland at the time etc.

But you (and they) are not legally proven to be innocent

During trial, I produce evidence showing I was on stage with Ed sheeran at a concert 14 february 2019, with over 100,000 people there and video evidence, the other side of the world.

Is one not obliged to present their alibi evidence to the DPP prior to trial?
    So this kind of Hollywood stroke is unlikely to happen in a real trial unless you somehow had amnesia and in the middle of the trial regained your memory?

One of the more learned (and actually qualified members) may be able to confirm?

Would such a situation also not more likely lead to a nolle prosequi? Or strike out rather than progressing to a verdict?

• Advertisement

Yes. The only verdicts that can be returned are "guilty" and "not guilty".

Of course, anyone following the trial and observing the evidence would know that your innocence had been conclusively demonstrated and triumphantly vindicated. But they wouldn't know that from the verdict alone.

Advertisement