Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Renting a van in Cork city

• 03-09-2019 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ murfilein

i would need a van in 1 or 2 weeks, since we will be moving.

problem is, i have a German drivers license for 15 years which does not have an expiry date, and only a debit card.

I've called many companies here in cork city now, and i can't rent a van with any of them.

they are either ok with the German drivers license, but want a full credit card, or they are ok with a debit card but want an Irish license.

how the hell can i get my hands on a van for 2 days or so for an affordable price?

there is one company in McCurtain Street where i can get a van, but it's 300 Euro.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ mikeecho

Try getting a GoVan

Www.Gocar.ie

I'm not sure of the prices , but I think you're charged by the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ mikeecho

Or..

Could you get someone else to rent the van, and have you as an additional driver.

Or

could you rent via Hertz.de or avis.de , or sixt.de etc and select cork as your pickup point.

Or.

Could you rent a people carrier and take the seats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ GustavoFring

Get a revolut card? Transfer on the deposit and refund it back to your account afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭ zilog_jones

A Revolut card is still a debit card.

I got a credit card mainly for car rental and hotel bookings. Even if they do accept debit cards in both situations they could do "pre-authorisation" (with car rental they may call it a "deposit") where double the amount is temporarily debited from your account, which can be a pain depending on the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭ R.O.R

Have you tried http://www.drivevanrental.ie ?

Says they accept Debit Cards, as long as there's enough on the Debit card to cover the rental and the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ murfilein

R.O.R wrote: »
    Have you tried http://www.drivevanrental.ie ?

Says they accept Debit Cards, as long as there's enough on the Debit card to cover the rental and the deposit.

thank you for the tip!

but i have found someone who has a big van and is willing to help me move.
    but I'll keep drivevanrental in mind, thanks!

Advertisement