Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nature on your farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A m8 sent me a photo of puff ball on his place in Kildare the size of a rugby ball last week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I took a photo of the three puff balls grouped together in the lawn. I viewed them back on the screen and a suggestive image came to mind.

These little lilac blossoms caught my eye a few days ago. I can't find any matches online. Any ideas, nestling in a rush plant in a rocky limestone outcrop.

Post edited by blue5000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

Terrific, thank you. I was beginning to think it was a garden escape.

• Advertisement

You are definitely correct. I had a look at the Readers Digest, Wildlife, Plants & Flowers, for a description.

"Common Centaury can be a single stem 2" high or a plant with several stems and many branches 12" high. One clue is the rosette of leaves at the base of the stem. Lesser Centaury has no rosette at the base, fewer flowers and longer stalks"

On checking it has the rosette of leaves at the base. I could also see where it was cropped by cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I was tidying up last year's straw in the shed & dog was going crazy. She's a great ratter so didn't pass much heat until I moved it. Hedgehog nest! The hisses out of her. I knock one of the young out of the nest. Didn't know they have young this late in the year. I put the young and everything back as best I could. Anyone know will she abandon the young now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Apparently hedgehogs have their young at this time of the year.

I don't think she will. One of our dogs disturbed a hedgehogs nest a few years ago in the hay shed and killed a hoglet. We covered it back up and put up two sheets of 8'x4' plywood to keep the dogs from it. I left them be for a few days but I saw the rest of the hoglets moving about at night when I shone the torch in on them. Hopefully yours will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Heard a Blackcap today.

I'm not sure I ever heard one before. It was like two stones hitting each other or as google says knocking two marbles together.

Big migrations of swallows now passing through. Must have been over a hundred on the wires yesterday evening.

Flock of goldfinch are still very active on farm. 40 or 50 in number roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Plenty of elephant hawk moth caterpillars around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭minerleague

Seems to be an abundance of fruit on hedgerows hereabouts this year ( haven't seen as good amount of plums especially for a few years )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was topping a low meadow yesterday. Usually there would be a bunch of grey crows scavenging frogs.

Now it’s buzzards, three of them hopping abkut the field feasting on the frogs. Damn big birds when your up close.

The hedges are full of gossamer in the last few days. I've had to remove strands of wind swept gossamer/spiderlings from my face when herding in the early hours of the morning.

Walked the hedges on Saturday and got 6 damsens, late frosts killed the buds so no fruit was set. With our late frosts here we only seem to get a crop maybe one year on five.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any arachnophobics know what this bloody big spider is?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The house martins and last of the swallows are gone. I noticed a lot of activity yesterday and I was thinking that they maybe gathering to go. None to be seen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

From this morning. An escapee I presume?

From the Readers Digest, Britain's Wildlife.

Harvestman, Phalangium opilio.

"Unlike true spiders, which they closely resemble, Harvestmen have a one-piece body and long second pair of legs. They do not make webs. Throughout Britain, June to November. Female body 10 mm long. Male body smaller than female, but legs longer. "

"Can be troubled by parasitic mites which suck their blood"

When I was a kid I remember my dad showing me owls about the place at night.

I hadn’t seen any in the intervening years. Was devastated maybe 10 years ago to find a dead young owl near the yard, no doubt killed from poison we had laid for vermin. We stopped poison and have cats now.

abkut 4 years ago I was mooching about the yard one night and thought I saw an owl in the rafters of the open machinery shed, I’ve looked any time in about but nothing.

At dusk this evening I was alone in the yard when I heard a swish in the air. Delighted to look up and see an owl gracefully passing and heading out across the yard to the fields.

no idea what sort, but I’m wondering about putting up a barn owl box just in case. Wonder would they use a shed that has tractors in that would be started and moved few times a week ?

honestly I was ridiculously excited.

• Advertisement

According to this article - "Barn Owls can get used to almost any kind of activity as long as they can stay out of sight."

https://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/barn-owl-nestbox/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw a barn owl this week, first time in 20 years. Will be putting up a box for them.

Amount of birds of prey now is incredible.

All good signs, the top can't eat if the lower species aren't doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

I have an owl box up high in the slatted house, unfortunately haven't seen anything using it for a house yet though. Hopefully something will use it soon. I've never seen one in the flesh but have heard the distinctive shriek of one near me one night.

I worked on a Barn owl box scheme back home in Kildare a few years ago - the average occupancy after 5 years was just over 10%. Now that could well be down to an existing population density that had obviously dropped sharply over the previous few decades for the usual reasons. Since then there has been some population recovery especially in favoured locations in the South Midlands and SW generally with occupancy increasing to 30%. At the end of the day too Barn Owls are a sensitive species so putting boxes in the "right" locations is critical in terms of suitable nearby habitat, curbing rodenticide use etc. In contrast projects back home with Dipper boxes on local bridges have shown an impressive 90% occupancy in the past few years. Lovely little birds and if you see them on your local streams/rivers you know that the water quality is at least decent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

I would say he effectively got away with it - no fine and a suspended sentence.

Post edited by Lime Tree Farm on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The Whooper swans have arrived for their holidays. I counted 12 (including one younger one with grey/brown plumage) grazing in a lake shore field near me this morning.

Same here, they flew in last Thursday, making some racket. I must try for some photos.

• Advertisement

Wild Geese and Swans flying in from the NW over my place in North Mayo since early last week. Also heard the distinct night time calls of Redwing as they arrive from Scandi to feast on our berries etc.

Advertisement