Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service job- Clearance to contract?

Options
  • 29-08-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi. I have been working in private sector all my working life but have recently applied for and been placed on a panel for a public sector job and i am delighted. I have now been advised that I am being "considered for a position" and have to provide vetting documents within a week.
    They will then contact my current employer, with my prior consent, once they are dealt with, but I wonder is the position essentially mine, subject to no issues on vetting and reference? I would not like to have to tell my longtime employer only to find that the job is not a guarantee.
    I also wonder is it a form they email to employer or is it a call to them?

I assume the position is mine, yet the email requesting clearance etc states this is not an offer.

I know others here will be familiar with the public appointment recruitment procedures and language used, hence my enquiry.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP why would they contact your current employer? Unless you have put them down as a referee there shouldn't be any reason to. Unless I'm missing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Hi. I assume for a reference. they will not contact him until I have given them permission- after they get all the garda vetting done. So I can tell him in advance. I just want to be sure that the position is mine, and the reference request is a formality.

I just have never been though a public sector job process so not sure how it works/.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭Augme

They don't offer positions until Garda vetting and reference checks are done. It would be foolish to offer a position before those are done as in case either goes wrong they will have to withdraw the offer.

Barring issues with your vetting or references the job offer is guaranteed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

Augme wrote: »
    They don't offer positions until Garda vetting and reference checks are done. It would be foolish to offer a position before those are done as in case either goes wrong they will have to withdraw the offer.

Barring issues with your vetting or references the job offer is guaranteed to happen.

Thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As said 9 times out of ten it’s a formality unless something turns up in vetting/references. But dependent on the type of vetting you could be waiting a while. The week to provide information (family members dobs, addresses, occupations) is usually the 3 strand Garda vetting which seems to be taking around 20 weeks to complete, so I wouldn’t be telling your employer about it just yet. Once it’s completed they’ll send you an email and that’ll be plenty of time to let your employer know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

The garda vetting for this is very quick, went through the same process when moving from private to public and was surprised how fast everything moves from the initial phone call to say you are being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Only issue I've had with this process is that 2 months into the document submitting etc they asked to contact my references as all was going well but I got a call to tell me that there was no longer funding for this position and therefore I would be put back on the panel..

mlem123 wrote: »
    Only issue I've had with this process is that 2 months into the document submitting etc they asked to contact my references as all was going well but I got a call to tell me that there was no longer funding for this position and therefore I would be put back on the panel..

this would be very rare indeed.

op id say 90% certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

99 times out of 100, you will get the job with no issues. They can't give you the contract etc first as they need to make sure they have the garda vetting back and references checked out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dazzler101

Im in a similar situation now, I never gave them my current employers details on my application as a reference. What do they look for is it just a phone call to my current employer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

PAS require a reference from minimum 2 employers (including your current employer).

They email them and ask to complete a basic form (eg character, is there any reason why you would not hire, etc).

You can ask PAS not to contact your current employer until everything else is done (vetting, previous references).

Note for some positions (AGS, Courts etc) there is an advanced security clearance which can take 1-2 months. The normal Garda vetting for other depts is only a few days turnaround.

Advertisement