Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Power Tools (Ferrex)

Options
  • 29-08-2019 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone I just chanced buying a cordless 18V Circular saw from ALDI brand make is 'ferrex'. I ust wondered has anyone else bought any of those tools from there? It has a 3 year warranty with it.
    Are they decent? I just bought it for small bits and projects at home. Nothing big and I wouldnt be using it often. It came with one battery and I tried to find a website for the tools and cant find anything except links to Aldi. My only worry is the battery wont last and is there any other batteries I could buy to fit it in the future or do I just bin it if battery dies and its out of warranty?.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Interesting question. Following this as I’m interested in opinions on Aldi tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why didn't you buy two batteries. It's a circular saw you'll need them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

listermint wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy two batteries. It's a circular saw you'll need them

It only comes with one battery.

Nodferatu wrote: »

Any time cordless tools were in Aldi I've seen them with spare batteries for additional. Did you check ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Panasonic cells in the batteries apparently. No idea about the tools. Would be nice if someone designed an adapter to the dewalt batteries that could be 3D printed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In my Aldi they have a locked glass display cabinet full to the brim with extra batteries. Too easy to steal, I guess.

Panasonic cells in the batteries apparently. No idea about the tools. Would be nice if someone designed an adapter to the dewalt batteries that could be 3D printed.

Why DeWalt. They've changed batteries multiple times and have differing sizes even today.

Whereas the likes of Ryobi have not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

Aldi sell the batteries regularly. It's possible to get any lithium ion batteries reconditioned also but probably not worth it for cheap tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

listermint wrote: »
    Why DeWalt. They've changed batteries multiple times and have differing sizes even today.

Whereas the likes of Ryobi have not

Most 18v dewalt tools would take one of two battery types. Loads of dewalt tools out there. These seem like good quality batteries and available for €20 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

As much as I like to invest in good tools, and have not problem paying for quality, it's hard to justify spending more on something you'll rarely use. Best advice I've come across is is - if you're not sure, buy the cheap tool first. If you don't use it, no big loss. If you use it and it breaks, then you've got your value out of it and you'll know exactly what you're looking for out of the good brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Aldi (and Lidl) power tools are just fine for occasional DIY use in the home. They wouldn't be up to constant heavy professional use.

Aldi (and Lidl) power tools are just fine for occasional DIY use in the home. They wouldn't be up to constant heavy professional use.

Thats the reason I went with ALDI. I wouldnt ba able to justify buying a DeWalt or Makita etc. I'd be lucky if I used it once a month!

Alun wrote: »
    In my Aldi they have a locked glass display cabinet full to the brim with extra batteries. Too easy to steal, I guess.

I must check my local to see if they have the same. I didnt see any spare batteries to be honest. And hee box contents only shows one batt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I must check my local to see if they have the same. I didnt see any spare batteries to be honest. And hee box contents only shows one batt

Manuel always show a website to source batteries and spare parts from.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lola85 wrote: »

A spanish website I assume? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

As much as I like to invest in good tools, and have not problem paying for quality, it's hard to justify spending more on something you'll rarely use. Best advice I've come across is is - if you're not sure, buy the cheap tool first. If you don't use it, no big loss. If you use it and it breaks, then you've got your value out of it and you'll know exactly what you're looking for out of the good brand.

With rarely used tools the best way is to hire them, that is, unless they have Aldi quality tools for hire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cordell wrote: »
    With rarely used tools the best way is to hire them, that is, unless they have Aldi quality tools for hire :)

Last week I bought a cheap wall chaser as it was more expensive to hire one for a day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

A spanish website I assume? :)

:) Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 67,072 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was looking at these in Aldi Cavan and there was definitely a good few spare batteries in the bins beside where they were stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

mloc123 wrote: »
    Last week I bought a cheap wall chaser as it was more expensive to hire one for a day...

Found that alright! :eek:

lola85 wrote: »

BAAAAAZIIIIIIIIILLLL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

This from a UK consumer website...

FERREX tools are made by the same company that makes Worx tools. The company is called Positec (a Chinese based company) with branches here in the UK. They also make Rock well tools in America.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Many years ago in my Electrical Contracting business I bought about 7 low-end cordless drills from a retailer with a very good returns policy. The lads were not impressed as they didn't have De Walt!
    The drills worked ok but they had a hard life, doing lots of drilling with holesaws. Any time a drill burned out, I would innocently bring it back to the retailer and get a free replacement. I must have got about 10 replacements!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Just bough a Ferrex Multitool, Fein type machine. Seems ok quality for what I need, lever for changing blades looks a bit weak but other that that it looks fine.
    I am looking for other blades, to use though. Aldi customer support recommend Ferrex blades, of course, but couldn't tell me what other brands might fit. Anyone got one of these machines and could tell be a compatible brand for blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

gears wrote: »
    Just bough a Ferrex Multitool, Fein type machine. Seems ok quality for what I need, lever for changing blades looks a bit weak but other that that it looks fine.
    I am looking for other blades, to use though. Aldi customer support recommend Ferrex blades, of course, but couldn't tell me what other brands might fit. Anyone got one of these machines and could tell be a compatible brand for blades?

If its the same set up as the Lidl multi tool with the 4 small guide pins, i have used Bosch and Stanley with no issues.

Bosch and Stanley. Ok thanks for that, I just don't want to spend €30 or so and it doesn't fit.

If you want multitool blades, buy them off AliExpress. best value out there and come in kits of 20+ with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

You can also buy an adapter to allow blades of a different make to be used. Can be a bit fiddly to get it to fit but it works

494135.JPG

I guess an adapter would make it more universal and avoid wasting money on the wrong fitting blades. Good idea. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For a tool you'll only use occasionally, get the corded one. It'll be cheaper, more powerful and last longer, and the relative inconvenience of the mains cord won't be much of an issue.

A few years back I bought a cordless Dremel-type tool in Lidl - they didn't do a corded one at the time. It worked fine but because it was used so rarely, the battery was fecked before long. Later I bought the corded version of the same tool, the cord is not an inconvenience and I know I can let it sit in the shed for years and it'll still work when I need it. (And I got another whole set of tools/bits to fit it :) )

Similarly I bought a Makita 18V drill/driver about ten years ago, it was a great tool when new and got a good bit of use doing up the secondhand house we bought. Then it was let sit for years with little use, at this stage the batteries "charge up" in two minutes and last little more than that. But a drill/driver is one of the tools that benefits the most from being cordless and when it's in regular use it works well. A circ saw isn't used over your head or up a ladder, and demands a lot more power from its battery - and for DIYers gets very rarely used. That's the reason I got the cheapest possible "Performance Power" corded one in B&Q and it has always done the job for me. (And B&Q stand over their guarantee - unlike Bosch)

Before the Makita I had a Bosch green 24V drill/driver, after putting 600 screws into an OSB sub-floor it was close to being shagged out and didn't last much longer, the battery was fine but the bearings were fecked!! Won't buy Bosch green again under any circumstances.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

I've a Bosch green here that's gone through year and half home renovation. Not so much DIY more professional tough renovation , stud walls rafters flooring window Framing doors.

Hasn't missed a beat and still fires through concrete walls in hammer mode

Advertisement