Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me an EV

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ignore the grants statement in your post. Tour buying second hand so all grants are applied from when it was bought new.

The only grant is the home charge point grant if €600.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Gumbo wrote: »
    Ignore the grants statement in your post. Tour buying second hand so all grants are applied from when it was bought new.

The only grant is the home charge point grant if €600.

Scrappage perhaps? Not sure if anyone doing it though

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

Scrappage perhaps? Not sure if anyone doing it though

I THINK Nissan are giving 3k on the Leaf, but open to correction!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

2017/18/19 Ioniq should be within that budget. Less so the 19, but it's not far off it. 2019 only have 1 or 2 things extra from the previous version (heated steering wheel and I think maybe blind spot detection as standard). Any of those years will easily do your 120km per day.

No blind spot warning but the 2019 does come with the heated steering wheel & rear privacy glass. It looks great on the black IMO & useful too.

erNuVCp.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with the Ioniq recommendation. You'll save quite a few bob on fuel with that amount of commuting & the '19 Ioniq will give you a top to toe warranty for all your mileage for the next 4 years, (up to 200,000km if I remember correctly), even longer on the battery & motor etc.

It shouldn't require anything bar tyres.
    I don't think anything else offers anywhere near that level of warranty.

Best of luck with whichever you choose :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

bootser wrote: »
    I THINK Nissan are giving 3k on the Leaf, but open to correction!

Before things hit the crapper.

Nissan gave 3k
    For ionic u get 4k.

Decided on a leaf but waited on grant for over two weeks
    and didn't come through before they closed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kramer wrote: »
    No blind spot warning but the 2019 does come with the heated steering wheel & rear privacy glass. It looks great on the black IMO & useful too.

<pic>

I wholeheartedly agree with the Ioniq recommendation. You'll save quite a few bob on fuel with that amount of commuting & the '19 Ioniq will give you a top to toe warranty for all your mileage for the next 4 years, (up to 200,000km if I remember correctly), even longer on the battery & motor etc.

It shouldn't require anything bar tyres.
    I don't think anything else offers anywhere near that level of warranty.

Best of luck with whichever you choose :).

When did you take it for a spin to Achill? I never spotted you crossing the bridge :pac:

Did you get a charge at Gielty's? Bit of a trek to the nearest rapid if you want to drive around the whole island and back in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

2020 Ioniq, while having more range, has been slated for a few things. 1, as you mention, the slower charging speed. From near empty you would be talking an hour (or more) to charge it at any fast charger.

One thing I can't figure out is does the 2020 one charge at the same kW rate as the smaller older ones, but take longer because it's bigger, or is it slower as well as bigger to charge?
    Are there any practicalities you need to consider with the car?

Beyond the distance and having space for a car seat (I have a three year old), I don't think there is anything else I need to worry about?
    I will be charging at home (have a drive way).
    KCross wrote: »
    Worse battery is probably the wrong term. A slower charging one, yes.
    Its a higher capacity battery so has longer range but for your needs I dont think it would matter as presumably you will be 99% charging at home?

In this country range is king, not charge speed.

The old Ioniq would suit you fine if all you need is 120km and that would be within budget. The new Ioniq is €34k+

As a comparison e208 has a WLTP range of 340km. New Ioniq is at 312km.
    So, they are similar enough. Obviously you wont get that range if you are driving it hard on the motorway.

Your budget of €20-25k will rule out the eSoul, e208 and New Ioniq though.

The eSoul is well out, but the e208 starts at €27k, I might be able to stretch to that if it is worth it.
    The Kona doesn't have the adaptive cruise control, might be a deal breaker if you're mostly on the motorway.

I've never driven anything with cruise control (I have a 07 Honda Fit) so I may not miss something I've never had :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

One thing I can't figure out is does the 2020 one charge at the same kW rate as the smaller older ones, but take longer because it's bigger, or is it slower as well as bigger to charge?

It doesnt charge at the same kW rate as the older one. Much lower.

The old one could average ~60kW. The new one is <50kW and tapers quickly as the state of charge goes up.

It wont matter a whole lot if you are only connecting to a 50kW eCars charger and it wont matter much if you are doing 99% home charging.

In any case, its well outside your budget at €34k.

The eSoul is well out, but the e208 starts at €27k, I might be able to stretch to that if it is worth it.

Its getting good reviews and if you only have one child then it might suit you fine. Its not a big car but has decent range for reasonable money.

Some dealers have the e208 for demo so go drive one.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would definitely consider the e208 over he new Ioniq if you're buying new assuming it's within budget and big enough for your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I seen a e208, lovely looking car. Just the outside.....even my wife said it was lovely, but small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I seen a e208, lovely looking car. Just the outside.....even my wife said it was lovely, but small.

I currently drive an 07 Honda Fit, which I think is about the same size and I'm not bothered about it being small (makes it easy to park).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I currently drive an 07 Honda Fit, which I think is about the same size and I'm not bothered about it being small (makes it easy to park).

If just yourself then no problem, I love little french cars....but quickly gets stuffy when a couple of kids put in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

I think Peugeot are doing a scrappage scheme but dont know if it will b on e208. Be great if they were, cud get into a BEV for, maybe 25k! Have emailed a dealer but not heard anything back.

I think Peugeot are doing a scrappage scheme but dont know if it will b on e208. Be great if they were, cud get into a BEV for, maybe 25k! Have emailed a dealer but not heard anything back.

They have a €4k scrappage scheme but not on the 208.

Anything could happen though when the dealers open again and they need to boost sales quickly.

It doesnt charge at the same kW rate as the older one. Much lower.

The old one could average ~60kW. The new one is <50kW and tapers quickly as the state of charge goes up.

It wont matter a whole lot if you are only connecting to a 50kW eCars charger

Sadly, it does make a huge difference, even on 50kW fast chargers :(.
    It takes over twice as long to gain the same range - a 20 min charge on the older Ioniq 28, to get home, can take 45 minutes on the new improved Ioniq 38 :eek:.

Plus, as said, it's crazily overpriced at €37k & well outside the op's budget.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    When did you take it for a spin to Achill? I never spotted you crossing the bridge :pac:

Did you get a charge at Gielty's? Bit of a trek to the nearest rapid if you want to drive around the whole island and back in a day.

Mrs. Kramer does get around :D.
    Can't recall any issues charging up there - took it easy & made it around OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

They are giving a €2,500 scrappage on the e-208.

I've done 1000 km in mine so far and still loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So how much for one on the road (using scrappage scheme)?

Philburns wrote: »
    They are giving a €2,500 scrappage on the e-208.

I've done 1000 km in mine so far and still loving it!

That’s interesting.
    They’re keeping it quiet so as it’s not on their website...
    https://www.peugeot.ie/offers-and-financing/offers/scrappage.html

What trim level did you buy and what was the price after scrappage?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

That’s interesting.
    They’re keeping it quiet so as it’s not on their website...
    https://www.peugeot.ie/offers-and-financing/offers/scrappage.html

What trim level did you buy and what was the price after scrappage?

I got the basic Active model with metallic paint... €26,200 after grant, vrt reduction, scrappage etc.

• Advertisement

I got the basic Active model with metallic paint... €26,200 after grant, vrt reduction, scrappage etc.

That's not much of a "scrappage" allowance though..........
    The e-208 Active version retails from €27,334, plus delivery, inclusive of the SEAI grant and VRT relief.

https://www.peugeot.ie/brand-and-technology/about-peugeot/news-and-blog/all-new-peugeot-208-and-e-208-prices-and-equipment-announced.html

Still welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Delivery + metallic will add a few grand to the price. €26k on the road including metallic is not too bad for a medium range EV (albeit a small one with not such a great spec)

Thats a decent price.

The RRP is 27334, add metallic at €565 and then delivery charges brings it to probably around €28000-€28500 for the entry level model, so you would be getting around a €2500 discount at that rate alright.

Well wear!

As a follow on, an entry level Leaf 40kWh with metallic is €26,990 after €3500 scrappage. Add in delivery charges its probably about €28000 on the road.

So, the e208 is ~€2k cheaper and has 60km more range on WLTP.

The Leaf is probably better equipped on that entry level model but it will hopefully keep manners on Nissan's price increases! More competition is what we need.

Advertisement