Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you hate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

At the end of a phone call: Bububybyebububbye

But how will you know the conversation is over?! You can't just end the call abruptly, like a savage, in one of those hollywood films... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

British expressions used by Irish people annoy me. I think we've got too much exposure to them based on geography so it's understandable but I've never gotten used to it.

A few examples:

"Mate" - very British (or Australian)
    "Sat" instead of "sitting"
    "Gaff"
    "Tea“ - referring to something you eat
    "Chuffed"

Would you ever shag off.
    I'm 50 this year and we always had "tea" (evening meal that's not dinner) growing up.
    It's been Irish as long as I'm around.

As a teenager we'd always talk about having a "free gaff" and as a result would use the word gaff, generally.

Again, how is chuffed a British expression? It's been used here for ever.

How long does an expression have to be in common use before it's not considered "foreign"? More than 45 years, it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 embers_fire

Would you ever shag off.
    I'm 50 this year and we always had "tea" (evening meal that's not dinner) growing up.
    It's been Irish as long as I'm around.

As a teenager we'd always talk about having a "free gaff" and as a result would use the word gaff, generally.

Again, how is chuffed a British expression? It's been used here for ever.

How long does an expression have to be in common use before it's not considered "foreign"? More than 45 years, it would seem.

Yeah, "shag off", that's another one. Any of those colloquialisms you would hear on British television. I don't remember hearing many of these expressions when I was growing up but I started hearing them when I was in Dublin for a while, especially "gaff" and "mate". They seem to be quite popular on the west coast too but I didn't notice it so much around the rest of Ireland.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    American expressions don't seem to bother you, though?

Don't get me started on American expressions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭bmc58

pgj2015 wrote: »
    wine o clock

I kinda like that time though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, "shag off", that's another one. Any of those colloquialisms you would hear on British television. I don't remember hearing many of these expressions when I was growing up but I started hearing them when I was in Dublin for a while, especially "gaff" and "mate". They seem to be quite popular on the west coast too but I didn't notice it so much around the rest of Ireland.

How long does an expression have to be in common use before it's not considered "foreign"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

24/7 or even worse 24/7/365. people often say it rining in to radio sounding cool they think

"lookit"- staple of gombeen politicians on radio

"devastatin' " or "oh twas devastatin" re some big mishap

"no worries" i hate that. people trying to sound australian cool

"Pound" instead of pounds uk thing "cost me 4 pound"

How long does an expression have to be in common use before it's not considered "foreign"?

I guess an expression can sound foreign if you don't hear it very often. There are parts of the country that are separated by a large number of miles. An expression heard in Kerry might sound foreign in Dundalk. I didn't hear the term "gaff" in common use in Ireland until I was about 20. I always associated it with British people. It still sounds like something you'd hear on "Brookside" or some other British programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Excited for...

Win win.

. I didn't hear the term "gaff" in common use in Ireland until I was about 20..

How long ago was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Don't get me started on American expressions...

Do it, do it! I'd love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

How did I forget 'date night', usually with 'hubby'. If he's your 'hubby' then you're not fcuking dating him.

How did I forget 'date night', usually with 'hubby'. If he's your 'hubby' then you're not fcuking dating him.

Play date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Whats with this thing of 25-35 year old men saying "Fact!" to everything that they agree with it, drives me mad. Its like some corny American saying that has caught on over here. Example "I put a tenner on Liverpool to play, they are due a win now" "Fact".
    "Are you coming for a few drinks this Friday?" "Oh Fact!".

Wtf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Hits me in the feels. Thankfully don't hear it that much anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Ha boy the kid, from Limerick, serious what does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

The word like. Used at the end of every sentence like!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I guess an expression can sound foreign if you don't hear it very often. There are parts of the country that are separated by a large number of miles. An expression heard in Kerry might sound foreign in Dundalk. I didn't hear the term "gaff" in common use in Ireland until I was about 20. I always associated it with British people. It still sounds like something you'd hear on "Brookside" or some other British programme.

Dubs have been saying gaff for as long as i remember, I always thought it was the English copying Irish slang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

you know yourself [name] end of each sentence

or [name] end of every sentence

How long ago was that?

About 15 years ago.

• Advertisement

Do it, do it! I'd love to know.

I don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

'Going forward'
    Everytime it's said, I hear it in an American accent for some reason.
    Also 'super'... Why does everything have to be 'super'?! Another Amerixanism

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

The word like. Used at the end of every sentence like!

Not just at the end of every sentence unfortunately.

I was like, oh my god and she was like, oh my god and we were all like, oh my god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

You got this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

maudgonner wrote: »
    Hand-cut, in relation to food. Hand-cut sandwiches.

I'm fairly fúckin sure it was the knife that cut it, you gobdaw.

This one makes me laugh. Hand cut sandwiches. Hand cut fries.

Well you hardly cut them with your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

4dc1bf2a47b0fbdaabf9ef6cd22324ba116ed121

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

We are where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'm going with my main nomination first. It relates to when somebody is explaining their viewpoint on something or a procedure they followed. This one will appear quite often:

"Anyone who believes otherwise is deluded in the extreme"

Not too dissimilar from "people who think otherwise are deluded". It's a very arrogant expression.

Aside from that:

[Insert name] is pissed (meaning annoyed)
    "Get this"

The rest have probably already been mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Seems like every place is now becoming a 'hub' of some sort.

Hate this meaningless tech jargon.

Advertisement