Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating & Swimmers

• 27-08-2019 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi Guys,just wondering what power boaters thoughts are on entering a swiming area with people mostly kids swiming in it. I felt fairly uncomfortable even though the 2 boats I witnessed in there moved very slowly to be fair. The area was cordoned off by yellow buoys,about 25 meters off by about 40 meters across. The 2 boats just wanted to beach there while they brought a few passengers on board. The reason I felt uncomfortable was as i was swiming i got a shock to see one if them come up long side if me within a few feet. I asked the boat if they were allowed in the zone and he told me there was plenty if water for everyone. He seemed annoyed at my question.
    Not against powerboats actually would love a crack at one but felt uncomfortable being in the water next to them. Perhaps I just got a fright and there is no issue but interested to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

I don't often go for long swims but I do a fair amount of SUP and single handed dinghy sailing

Most of the powerboats I see are very conscientious and courteous when in and around beach areas.

Jet skis on the other hand are far more terrifying from my personal experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hi Guys,just wondering what power boaters thoughts are on entering a swiming area with people mostly kids swiming in it. I felt fairly uncomfortable even though the 2 boats I witnessed in there moved very slowly to be fair. The area was cordoned off by yellow buoys,about 25 meters off by about 40 meters across. The 2 boats just wanted to beach there while they brought a few passengers on board. The reason I felt uncomfortable was as i was swiming i got a shock to see one if them come up long side if me within a few feet. I asked the boat if they were allowed in the zone and he told me there was plenty if water for everyone. He seemed annoyed at my question.
    Not against powerboats actually would love a crack at one but felt uncomfortable being in the water next to them. Perhaps I just got a fright and there is no issue but interested to hear.

If I'm reading this right and the boats entered a swimming zone, identified by buoys, then the Coast Guard should be informed as they are not allowed to enter for any reason. Swimmers and propellers are a recipe for disaster and I would have been furious to see this behaviour.

I have seen similar in Wexford off of beaches with no explicit zoning. It's reckless and downright stupid.

Advertisement