Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Lack of Lebanese/Ethiopian restaurants?

• 26-08-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10 ✭✭✭ mr.donkey

Any ideas why Galway has so many Italian/ Spanish/Chinese restaurants but a lack of international options?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭ pg633

Italian/Spanish/Chinese are international...
    I guess it is down to who have moved here over the years to bring it with them and / or to have travelled there and be familiar with the cuisine.

There aren't many Lebanese or Ethopians about.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko

I know it's not Lebanese but High Cafe offers Moroccan dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭ marklazarcovic

The place on Munster ave aswell,old four star building..if ya don't mind the spin there is a great one in athlone (Lebanese) .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ ronnie3585

Lebanese restaurants are one of the very few things I miss about living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,665 ✭✭✭✭ Mars Bar

Labenese food would be amazing. Manakeesh...
    Yep, gonna have to get me some this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭ dinneenp

I thought it'd be obvious- with a smaller market restaurant owners go with 'safe' options.

Lebanese restaurant could do well but it could be a big risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ Paddico

I know there was a Jamaican restaurant on Abbeygate Street which I was quite surprised at given there wouldn't be a Jamaican community of any sorts in Galway.

Love Ethiopian food but I dont think there is even one in Dublin given its population size.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,883 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

Paddico wrote: »
    I know there was a Jamaican restaurant on Abbeygate Street which I was quite surprised at given there wouldn't be a Jamaican community of any sorts in Galway.

Really? I know one person with a Jamaican parent. I'd expect there are a good few more.

But the restaurant is long gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko

Yeah, they had a lot of jerky chicken and quite a lot of west Africa food like jollof rice.
    I now have to make my own jollof rice, not as nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭ Salthillprom

Isn't there a Lebanese on Abbeygate St... Or am I dreaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭ worded

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Lebanese restaurants are one of the very few things I miss about living in Dublin.

I wonder are there many Irish restaurants in Lebanon

I know I was fond of Lebanese as a teenager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,883 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

Isn't there a Lebanese on Abbeygate St... Or am I dreaming?

Sicilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ Smegging hell

Yeah, I've thought for a while that the lack of Lebanese and Ethiopian food is a big omission for Galway, and I loved Jamaica Joe's. The guy behind it suggested a while ago that he was planning to reopen in a different location, but no sign of that since. It joins the Home Plate as one of the closed restaurants in Galway that are sadly missed. U Liotru, the aforementioned Sicilian place on Abbeygate Street, is good, I like the arancini.

Advertisement