Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplies for cats by An Post only

Options
  • 20-08-2019 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping for advice. Seeking eg wormer, flea spot on etc for my five rescue cats. Out of supplies here.

As I am all but housebound and certainly islandbound on a small island with no post office and where couriers will not venture , has to be our excellent An Post service who come over three times a week. So no access to any other service.

So far no Irish firm is interested. they all use eg DPD.

Need as economical as possible .and grateful for any ideas .. I am sure it is possible as I get all kinds of things by post here with no problems and at great speed

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Order from the uk and send to AddressPal (they have a UK mainland address they forward from) = An Post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

tk123 wrote: »
    Order from the uk and send to AddressPal (they have a UK mainland address they forward from) = An Post ;)
    That uses the an post packet service to deliver doesn't it? Not your regular postman

TheChizler wrote: »
    That uses the an post packet service to deliver doesn't it? Not your regular postman

I'd assume in Grace's case it'd be the same person lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'm near certain that petstop.ie use an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

With address pal you can opt to home deliver also.... There are 2 different codes you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd assume in Grace's case it'd be the same person lol :p

No and I just need an An Post basic delivery. I get parcels direct from Lenehans hardware, from Holland and Barrett. from Springwools… Nothing like you list here :confused: Just the Irish firms use couriers and do not even reply to emails

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'm near certain that petstop.ie use an post.

Just checked again " Delivery by DPD"

will maybe see if I can ask online if anyone will get and send and I will send them the cash?

Island life gets interesting and ingenuity is needed. Just we are getting a few ticks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭Gormal

Ask your lovely postie if you can have it delivered to them directly and to have it brought over.

Second solution is have somebody buy it for you and post it to you. (obviously you will pay them)

Third is get on the phone, explain your predicament and ask for it to be posted. Sure any small business or decent vet would do this.

Where did you get the last lot of supplies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I wonder if you contact a cats rescue and explained the situation they might be helpful and post some stuff out at cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Not 100% sure but I think their stuff came by anPost. Used them a few time when I needed to source some meds for Micky. They are located in The Netherlands so Brexit proof.
    https://www.pharmacy4pets.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

I'd try vet practices. You would hope they'd be willing to post them via An Post for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A lot of that stuff will be available on Amazon - they use an post for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Graces7 wrote: »
    will maybe see if I can ask online if anyone will get and send and I will send them the cash?

Island life gets interesting and ingenuity is needed. Just we are getting a few ticks etc

My local supervalu sells the spot on. It's not a particularly big store. Have you checked to see if it is stocked at yours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

TheChizler wrote: »

I'm not on an island, but i'm rural enough that there's not a hope an post would send my address pal with a different postman. I didn't even know that was a thing! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In the town where the postman carries all his stuff around then its a separate delivery for packets over a certain size in the country where every postman has a van its all the one delivery.

my3cents wrote: »
    In the town where the postman carries all his stuff around then its a separate delivery for packets over a certain size in the country where every postman has a van its all the one delivery.

Every day's a school day!

When I lived in Dublin I never met my post man and had no idea that there were separate systems. That's mad. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, I've had to delete a post. If you wouldn't mind, don't use this forum to make transactions between yourselves, as this sort of thing has previously resulted in some pretty nasty consequences for people in real life.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Darc19 wrote: »
    A lot of that stuff will be available on Amazon - they use an post for delivery.

BINGO! Thank you.. sorted !

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I'm not on an island, but i'm rural enough that there's not a hope an post would send my address pal with a different postman. I didn't even know that was a thing! :eek:

Nor did I! Fascinating//

• Advertisement

fineso.mom wrote: »
    My local supervalu sells the spot on. It's not a particularly big store. Have you checked to see if it is stocked at yours?

did that and no. Thanks! I get my groceries delivered from there so it would have been ideal

my3cents wrote: »

Our post comes by ferry then in an "island car"! Which you can hear a mile off..

Lenehans is wonderful; an old fashioned hardware store that has all the small things you could spend hours searching for in town. If I order Thursday pm, the big parcel arrives first thing Friday, by An Post. Email tracking...

THANKS!

What a wonderful and resourceful group!

Graces7 wrote: »
    BINGO! Thank you.. sorted !

Amazon will probably not send the likes of spot-ons to an Irish address though... that’s why I suggested addresspal as a workaround to the restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I get stuff from vetuk.co.uk fairly regularly and that all comes via Royal Mail / An Post.

Amazon will probably not send the likes of spot-ons to an Irish address though... that’s why I suggested addresspal as a workaround to the restriction

They do, and no facility here for other. check their page? all very simple just as I need .
    all sorted... great!

Erm... I didnt even think of that grace and I ordered spot on myself (we've been inundated with ticks) a fortnight ago which was delivered by an post. Sorry!

I forgot cats are tiny compared to my 2 lumps who’s medicine etc never ships to Ireland lol :o

I forgot cats are tiny compared to my 2 lumps who’s medicine etc never ships to Ireland lol :o

I got a load from Amazon tk. No hassle at all.

Having said that, I tried to order a gu10 light and couldn't get a single Amazon site to send to me - had to go via uk. Depends who the seller is I think.

• Advertisement

all sorted; except the weather! Being cut off in August is unusual...

Advertisement