Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying laptop for new college student

Options
  • 20-08-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

My son is off to university in a couple of weeks and we were looking to get him a laptop.As he has iPhone, iPad etc his first choice is a macbook, but they are just way too expensive to buy new.

I did find some good looking prices on pigsback - https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/browse/gifts-shopping/electronics/laptops, as low as €300 (https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/427226/macnplease), but Iknow little or noting about macs, so was hoping for some advice

Or should i just persuade him to go with a standard cheap windows laptop, or maybe even wait til he gets to college to see what he really needs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

What course is he doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

davo2001 wrote: »
    What course is he doing?

Business & IT at Queens, Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

He wants a mac,
    he doesn't need a mac

Yep I know. TBH I'm not even sure he needs a laptop at all.

But if I can get a mac at €300, and I know it will work & be good enough, then it makes sense. Trouble is I know nothing about Macs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do not buy one of those Macs. They're about 10 years old. Mac or not, that is ancient in computing terms.

• Advertisement

Do not buy one of those Macs. They're about 10 years old. Mac or not, that is ancient in computing terms.
    Thanks - that's the sort of advice I needed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

tombrown wrote: »
    Business & IT at Queens, Belfast

He'll need a laptop alright imo.

Giving your budget, stay away from macs, not needed anyway. For a student pretty much any new/ up to date laptop will cover him

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PNQY1PY

That works out about €425 and it would do the job. It's a decent laptop without breaking the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

That works out about €425 and it would do the job. It's a decent laptop without breaking the bank.

Nice laptop

Anything with a SSD and 8gb of ram is upto the job from my experience

SSD are fantastic, I'd never go back to a HDD drive again, make such a difference

Looks decent, it would be worthwhile buying an extra stick of RAM which he will see the most benefit from in terms of a performance kick.
    Maybe if you could stretch the budget pick something with an SSD drive. Mostly he is just gonna be watching youtube and netflix so full hd is the best bet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He’s best using the same OS as the college use especially if he’ll be Usung course specific programs

willabur wrote: »
    Looks decent, it would be worthwhile buying an extra stick of RAM which he will see the most benefit from in terms of a performance kick.
    Maybe if you could stretch the budget pick something with an SSD drive. Mostly he is just gonna be watching youtube and netflix so full hd is the best bet!!

Huh? It already has 8GBs of RAM and an SSD.

@ OP - If you want to spend a little bit extra this is the same laptop but with a quad core processor. For an extra ~€25 it's a good upgrade. Either of the two should do him grand.

@ OP - If you want to spend a little bit extra this is the same laptop but with a quad core processor. For an extra ~€25 it's a good upgrade. Either of the two should do him grand.

Tech details says it is mechanical HD - weird!

there is space for another 8GB, first thing I would do which would improve performance of the machine would be to boost that

willabur wrote: »
    Tech details says it is mechanical HD - weird!

there is space for another 8GB, first thing I would do which would improve performance of the machine would be to boost that

For most people 8GBs is enough. I upgraded my gaming PC from 8GBs to 16GBs and I didn't notice any difference.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I am an ex Intel employee - will buying AMD impact my pension :)

Actually willabur may have a point, while the main description claims a 256GB SSD, the technical details table states a mechanical hard drive. When I look up this model omn the ASUS website it suggests both options are available, or even a hybrid (HDD + SD) option.

How can I be sure the Amazon listed one is really the SSD option?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont forget apple do educational discounts as well but the cheapest macbook air will cost over 1000 euro

Actually willabur may have a point, while the main description claims a 256GB SSD, the technical details table states a mechanical hard drive. When I look up this model omn the ASUS website it suggests both options are available, or even a hybrid (HDD + SD) option.

How can I be sure the Amazon listed one is really the SSD option?

It says in multiple places on that Amazon link it's an SSD. If you Google the exact model number every where else that shows up also says it's an SSD. No company even makes a 256GB hard drive (they'd be 250GB). Plus I bought 2 of them a couple of months ago for my parents and they had SSDs.

Given it says SSD all over the description Amazon would give you a refund if it didn't have an SSD in it.

It says in multiple places on that Amazon link it's an SSD. If you Google the exact model number every where else that shows up also says it's an SSD. No company even makes a 256GB hard drive (they'd be 250GB). Plus I bought 2 of them a couple of months ago for my parents and they had SSDs.

Given it says SSD all over the description Amazon would give you a refund if it didn't have an SSD in it.
    Looks like a sloppy advertising/listing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm just after buying a refurbished Thinkpad T440p(released in 2013) that matches that, same CPU performance, 8GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, 90Wh battery for €140 delivered.
    Companies buy high spec Thinkpads in large number and then sell them for peanuts when they upgrade.
    There's some amazing value to be had if you know what to look for.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm just after buying a refurbished Thinkpad T440p(released in 2013) that matches that, same CPU performance, 8GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, 90Wh battery for €140 delivered.
    Companies buy high spec Thinkpads in large number and then sell them for peanuts when they upgrade.
    There's some amazing value to be had if you know what to look for.
    Do you have a link for this? I love Thinkpads - got one myself, that I paid a pretty penny for, but its ace

Do you have a link for this? I love Thinkpads - got one myself, that I paid a pretty penny for, but its ace

I don't think I can link to old ebay listings

Just search for T440p on ebay.ie, there's loads for sale. Just make sure it has a core I5 or I7 M processor, the older M processors are about as fast as the newer U(ultra low power). The M processors do use more power but I find that's no problem as Thinkpads usually have good batteries.

I also picked up an x220 for €65 delivered

It was bios password locked but all I had to do was short one of the chips on the motherboard and it was removed making the laptop fully functional again.

So that's one 14" laptop and a very portable 11.5" both fast and in great condition for €205 total!

I'll probably upgrade both to IPS screens for another €100. The standard screens are fine and perfectly functional but IPS panels have sharper colors so it's worth it.

edit: actually the links do work I just had to scroll down past all the ebay adverts as I didn't have adblock enabled

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440p-8gb-Ram-Win-7-240gb-SSD-Intel-i5-2-6ghz/264416421905?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-X220-Laptop-12-1-Intel-i5-2-5GHz-4GB-NO-OS-BIOS-LOCKED-Ref-848/323839933063?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/81F400E9UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-330s_2498826.html#DetailTop
    Look at that. That other laptop's reviews don't look great and the description seems kinda dodgey which I wouldn't say is too promising

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mr Stetz

dont forget apple do educational discounts as well but the cheapest macbook air will cost over 1000 euro

I know you said educational discounts, but can anyone avail of this offer. ie: I’m not in college

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Mr Stetz wrote: »
    I know you said educational discounts, but can anyone avail of this offer. ie: I’m not in college

it does say verification required but I Don't know what they require.

Some good suggestions on this thread - so I'm focussing in on a windows laptop, with SSD (125 or 256GB), 8GB RAM and Intel I5 (or equivalent) CPU.

Now - should I pick up one of the online options, or take him shopping when we go to Belfast to buy one there? I suspect the best deals are online, but if anyone knows a decent shop in Belfast that could fix us up, I would appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Some good suggestions on this thread - so I'm focussing in on a windows laptop, with SSD (125 or 256GB), 8GB RAM and Intel I5 (or equivalent) CPU.

Now - should I pick up one of the online options, or take him shopping when we go to Belfast to buy one there? I suspect the best deals are online, but if anyone knows a decent shop in Belfast that could fix us up, I would appreciate it

Those specs are decent for what I imagine a business student will be using.

May I suggest the brand Asus? I'm on my second one. First one from 2013 is still running perfectly. 2nd one is still new and but very powerful the power to price ratio was phenomenal. It wont have the same quality build feeling of Macbook but I found the machines to be extremely reliable.

The design of this one is influenced by the Macbook but would be half the price of any Macbook with these specs.
    https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-zenbook-13-ux333fa May or may not be over your budget at €799 from Amazon.de

Or better budget one.. HP
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-EliteBook-Ultrabook-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B06VVXNX5Z/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=asus&qid=1566397830&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A1481781031%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A8322530031%2Cp_n_feature_thirteen_browse-bin%3A8322538031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sr=1-1

Other than that, I think the advice in this thread has been relatively sound. I wouldn't go for Apple because I've owned plenty of Apple products and they fail just as much as any other products. Apple products are notoriously not repair- friendly. They overcharge for repair and often if one thing like the GPU goes or the CPU, they'll say the whole Logicboard (motherboard) needs replacing which is about €600 or €700 to replace.

Louis Rossman will provide you with lots of info if your son gives you some pushback for getting a Windows laptop. :D

Sorry, for going a bit off-topic but had to be said.

Thanks - we've already doused the macbook craving. He's fully bought in to the idea of a regular windows PC

Other than that, I think the advice in this thread has been relatively sound. I wouldn't go for Apple because I've owned plenty of Apple products and they fail just as much as any other products. Apple products are notoriously not repair- friendly. They overcharge for repair and often if one thing like the GPU goes or the CPU, they'll say the whole Logicboard (motherboard) needs replacing which is about €600 or €700 to replace.

I'm no fan of Apple but on all modern laptosp the gpu and cpu are soldered on so repairing is not a cost effective option as a new board with cpu+gpu will be cheaper than all the work and special equipment it would take to solder the thousands of connections of a replacement chip.

That's why I like the old thinkpads as it's very modular, all companies copy apple these days even lenovo. :mad:

• Advertisement

Ordered the laptop, its on its way.

I guess he'll probably need a copy of MS Office now. Do UK Universities normally provide Student versions of this or will I need to purchase it for him?

Advertisement