Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is healthier - Weetabix or Porridge?

Options
  • 18-08-2019 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm just asking because I normally eat porridge. But when life is busy, I eat weetabix instead. I wonder which is actually healthier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Both are fine, depends on what you define as healthy ie. what do you want from your food.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.... and what you top them off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well I would get flax and raisins with my porridge, but not with my weetabix.

NIMAN wrote: »

Wheatabix with low fat milk mixed chocolate protein power, my yummy brekkie :D.

bladespin wrote: »
    Wheatabix with low fat milk mixed chocolate protein power, my yummy brekkie :D.
    I'd stay away from that protein powder. It doesn't seem natural to me. I guess you're trying to keep the muscle on.

I'm not sure if it's true that it makes you go bald due to the creatine (or something like that) in it, or perhaps that's a different type that you're taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I just checked the nutritional information on the back. Weetabix v standard porridge oats. Per 100g which is about 2 and half servings of either product minus milk or anything else added

Weetabix 362cal v 355
    Sugar 4.2g v 1.1g
    Fibre 10g v 8.4g
    Protein 12g v 11.7g
    Salt 0.28g v nil

Fairly similar, but porridge wins slightly if you want to reduce weight. As other poster indicated, it depends on what you put on the cereal that really matters.

depends on what you define as healthy ie. what do you want from your food.
    I don't know, just health! Perhaps porridge keeps you feeling full for longer.

I just checked the nutritional information on the back. Weetabix v standard porridge oats. Per 100g which is about 2 and half servings of either product minus milk or anything else added

Weetabix 362cal v 355
    Sugar 4.2g v 1.1g
    Fibre 10g v 8.4g
    Protein 12g v 11.7g
    Salt 0.28g v nil

Fairly similar, but porridge wins slightly if you want to reduce weight. As other poster indicated, it depends on what you put on the cereal that really matters.
    It's the sugar that makes the main difference so.

I'd stay away from that protein powder. It doesn't seem natural to me. I guess you're trying to keep the muscle on.

I'm not sure if it's true that it makes you go bald due to the creatine (or something like that) in it, or perhaps that's a different type that you're taking.

Ya what???
    Protein powder is very natural, it's made from milk, we all need protein to live, how much and how you ingest it is your own preference, but I find it's a great way to balance what would otherwise be a carb heavy breakfast.

Creatine is a separate supplement altogether, that old wife's tale has been proven to be false as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Oats might have a slight advantage in that it's easier to buy organically, and easier to add flax, seeds, dry fruit and other omega rich items too (as a dry mix).
    It is easier to prepare if mixed with yoghurt, and fresh chopped fruit the night before and placed in fridge as a takeaway item.

Protien powders vary greatly, the best would be organic isolate whey. But with cereals and bars you could be getting a dose of soya (moobs:man boobs).
    Other powders range from pea protien and more commercial cheap stuff laced with synthetic sweetners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Porage (alt spelling) but both are great.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd go with neither , I wouldnt call them nutrient dense foods however eat the one that you can put the least sugary cr@p on them to make them palatable while getting you to lunch without wanting to snack

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,062 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You're asking about porridge vrs Weetabix. I think it's fair to say nutrition is not a topic you are familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Mellor wrote: »
    You're asking about porridge vrs Weetabix. I think it's fair to say nutrition is not a topic you are familiar with.

This.

And if you are looking at the health aspect of a product, you should be looking at the ingredient/ additives not the macro breakdown........ so many bad conclusions in this thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

My 2c (8 stone lost since April last year!) both are great breakfast choices, you should be looking at the portion sizes, and the type/amount of milk used.

eoinob50 wrote: »
    This.

And if you are looking at the health aspect of a product, you should be looking at the ingredient/ additives not the macro breakdown........ so many bad conclusions in this thread.

Not sure where you got the macros breakdown thing from but for sure, the less processed food will generally be better for you, also, it's early yet, plenty more bad conclusions to come I'm sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Not sure where you got the macros breakdown thing from but for sure, the less processed food will generally be better for you, also, it's early yet, plenty more bad conclusions to come I'm sure :D

Because people posted about the macros.......

eoinob50 wrote: »
    Because people posted about the macros.......

The first mention I found of macros was in your own post :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

When I developed diabetes in my second pregnancy Weetabix was a no go. Its too processed. Only Shredded Wheat or plain porridge were allowed as breakfast cereals. They have nothing added to them if you look at the ingredients it's just 100% wheat or 100% oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It's the sugar that makes the main difference so.

Thats an absolutely tiny difference in sugar content

They are both whole grains with plenty of fibre and little added sugar or salt, both are healthy with no major differences between them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

1kg bag of organic porridge is for nothing Weetabix on the other hand is a lot more expensive or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When I developed diabetes in my second pregnancy Weetabix was a no go. Its too processed. Only Shredded Wheat or plain porridge were allowed as breakfast cereals. They have nothing added to them if you look at the ingredients it's just 100% wheat or 100% oats.

I was about to say exact same.
    Mc Cambridge brown bread and 2 boiled eggs was my breakfast at the time...they don't care about cholesterol levels during pregnancy.

As breakfast cereals go I think both options are healthy enough.

Advertisement