Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog for two wheelchair users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Manach wrote: »
    Jack Russells, small and loyal and with a personaliy to provide company to the person all day.

I think someone else here said that they'd be a handful?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Greyhounds can have a strong prey drive and this can be an issue walking them -particularly with small dogs about in public parks. Some parks -such as malahide castle 100 acres -even before the extremely dubious public consultation refusing off lead access in almost 100 of its acres, stopped letting them be allowed off lead or unmuzzled. It would be an idea to check the rules in your local park or where you will be planning to e xercise the dog to see what might or might not be a problem and what the off leash rules are.

Regarding minature pinchers are these minature Doberman Pinchers? In which case this would be a variation of another restricted dog that (despite their cute size & appearance) have restrictions around where and how you can walk them. ( muzzled, on leash only, with responsible adult and on a short leash only made mostly of chain). Again,I' d be checking my local area as people can be extremely abusive and agressive towards people walking restricted dogs in non compliant ways even if they are the nicest dogs in the world.

Some parks have rules and some even have pictures up inside their gate to alert the public and the rules also specify mixes of these dogs ( ie mixed/half breeds). Might be a problem for you, sadly, as they are beautiful dogs.ditto greyhounds/lurchers which are in some parks not allowed off lead..

Also if you are in Dublin half of south county Dublin has extremely punitive rules towards all dogowners not allowing dogs off leash on beaches or piers & extremely restricted off leash rules in parks such as Marley Park where humans are caged in small exercise pens with everyones dogs and that is expected to be sufficient for their running exercise. Pet owners must have been asleep at the wheel to let those new by-laws slip through.

So - my suggestion repeated and clarified at your request - do not get a restricted dog as walking it off leash could be an issue -particularly if you already have personal physical restrictions on whete you can access to exercise it freely. Most kennels and rescues are stuffed to the roof with testricted dogs or mix breed restricted dogs which are also included in the park and beach rules.

+1 for a larger and more mature dog. You might find on facebook some specific breed rescues such as labrador where tjey might have rescue have a nice, mostly trained family dog ready to go to a good home : it may just take some familiarisation training to get them used to tje wheelchairs.

+1 for the comment on small dogs being less robust and fragile if knocked. Then again they are lighter to handle and manage - but may need lifting into a car when a bigger dog might be able to jump in and out independently. Not sure how high your csr is! I was minding a neighbours elderly lab recently & ot could only clamber into the footwell of the car & cluldnt manage the jump from the booth -nof a problem I had anticipayed having!

Plus -as someone with one hand out of use for over 6 months & in a cage I really see the pressure doing everything with only 1 useable hand has -including being dragged by a dog on leash walks. The weight of ghe dog and its energy level epuld be very important imo especially if you are a wheelchair user - yoh dont want it damagi g your back or dragging you along under busses and into pedestrians. My last dog was 40kg and although well trained but very high energy- Id hate to think what might have happened if I'd walked her on a lead from a wheelchair or on rollerskates!

Regarding Jack Russels these are the most frequent agresdive and problematic dogs that I meet when walking thou like any dog there can be good & bad but these mostly from my experience seem to be high energy and often problematic.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Not all small dogs are less robust. It is some of the light boned toy breeds that are a bit too dainty.

An older show line Jack Russell that is retired might also suit. Compared to my terriers they are calm!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think someone else here said that they'd be a handful?

I had a Jack Russell/basset cross who was a live wire, but she would race ahead of me and back and forth so even with my limited mobility she did well. Utterly devoted she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Regarding dogs and limited walking & the possibility of their exercise being restricted to the garden of a large bungalow -not sure how big the garden is - it would be really important not to mistake size for less exercise needed!Some of the popular small size dogs such as cocker spaniels and poodles or poodle mixes (cockapoo, doodles etc) are high energy hunting dogs and have huge exercise requirements. Ditto terriers.

OP would getting someone to run the dog daily for.you he in the budget or would.you have a neighbour or local who would be prepared to.do this for you? I did it for a simeone who was sick and un and out of a hospital for a few years.and couldnt mind their dog properly (foc of course). You might have someone handy who mught be interested in the health benefits or there are local dogwalkers you could pay. It might not be in the budget but it could affect the range of dogs available to you dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

All dogs need to be walked, not just let run around a medium garden. So definitely, if you're not in a position to do this yourselves you need to be willing to ask/pay someone to do it for you. Likewise, will you be able to clean up after your dog? Obviously if you're out in public this has to be done but even at home you will need to keep the garden clean for a myriad of reasons.

Have you family/friends/home support that can help you with any and all aspects of the dog's care and wellbeing that you may not be able to provide? I'm trying to be as sensitive and understanding as possible here and obviously we don't know (nor do we need to) the extent of your mobility issues, but you do need to be 100% honest with yourselves about whether you can genuinely give a dog what it needs. If you feel you can then I would absolutely recommend reaching out to a rescue as they will work with you to match a dog to you, your partner's and the dog's needs if they can.

Best of luck.

I'm wondering myself.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Not sure how much exercise we'd be able to give it being wheelchair users?? We wouldn't be able to walk it on a leash for example.

In my experience/opinion all dogs need some amount of walking both to exercise and to sniff and explore and scent mark.

Others maybe able to advise on breeds that never need walking but none that I can think of.

As wheelchairs users, have you a strategy for poop collecting and the practicalities of caring for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If you are wheelchair users out of doors but able to walk inside, a dog of at least knee-height might be better than a shin-height trip hazard.
    If you have a health-care package, ask if a carer will go out with you and the dog. You and your partner need fresh air and sunlight, and any dog needs a sniffy walk, speed isn't that important.
    You can get long-handled poop-scoops to clean up your garden or from your walks and if you can afford a trainer that would be a good idea. You can also get an attachment (usually marketed for cyclists) that will distance the dog from the chair by a little bit if you want to take the dog out without a helper.

That said, if what you both would like is an animal companion, have you considered a cat? An indoor litter tray would be easier to clean up than a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Something like a lurcher sounds perfect for you. Big enough to not be a tripping/wheelchair hazard, generally short-coated, and not being full sight hounds often easier to train to recall so walking would be easier.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    If you are wheelchair users out of doors but able to walk inside, a dog of at least knee-height might be better than a shin-height trip hazard.
    If you have a health-care package, ask if a carer will go out with you and the dog. You and your partner need fresh air and sunlight, and any dog needs a sniffy walk, speed isn't that important.
    You can get long-handled poop-scoops to clean up your garden or from your walks and if you can afford a trainer that would be a good idea. You can also get an attachment (usually marketed for cyclists) that will distance the dog from the chair by a little bit if you want to take the dog out without a helper.

That said, if what you both would like is an animal companion, have you considered a cat? An indoor litter tray would be easier to clean up than a garden.

Neither of us like cats

Manach wrote: »
    Jack Russells, small and loyal and with a personaliy to provide company to the person all day.

Maybe a miniature Jack Russell??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

They still need to get out walking. Jack Russells are usually very clever and need lots of stimulation. Nearly all dogs will need 30+ minutes a day outside. I know some wheelchair users who manage this no problem, once a dog is lead trained they're happy to stick with you, but of course only you know what will work for you.

I would beg you to consider this fully before getting a dog, because you have to commit to it for a long time. Getting out and about isn't just about the exercise for them, it's their form of entertainment and interaction with the world, they love smelling and seeing different things. It's cruel to get a dog if you won't be able to take them out or to arrange for someone else to take them out daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No such breed. But an older show standard type who is retired might suit

Knine wrote: »
    No such breed. But an older show standard type who is retired might suit

Really? I googled it and it came up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russell_Terrier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Hey Mickey, I'm sure Knine will come back to you, but in the meantime, I think the questions I'd be asking myself would be:

(1) can I get the dog out for a walk/some kind of exercise every day or arrange someone to do that for me. Also remember that you'll need to get the dog out to toilet, or litter-train it and arrange to have that emptied.

(2) are you married to the idea of a pup? You've asked about a few breeds and there are older retired show dogs out there if you're set on a pure-bred dog. Remember that puppies come un-housetrained, they chew EVERYTHING (investigating the world with their mouth), they need to learn everything and they likely need management till they do. They also need to get out and experience the world or they're far more likely to find it scarier later on. If you cant do that for the majority of the time, I think you'd be better with an older dog.

(3) if you do decide on an older dog, I'd worry less about breed than the dog in front of you. At that stage it will have a fairly solid personality and you'll know pretty much what you're getting. I'm sure knine or someone could advise on retired show dogs and there are loads of golden oldies who end up in rescue and really just want a lap to cuddle on and a toddle round the block.

(4) I like to call jack russels, cracker jackers. Make of that what you will. ;)

Hopefully that's not in any way offensive - I've no way of knowing how able you are to put up with any of those things, I'm just trying to put out ideas that struck me as you mentioned things about your situation. Also, I've not looked back as I'm on my phone so these might have been mentioned already.

Hope you find something suitable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Have to say i’m with Knine, please don’t look for miniature anything, it only encourages dodgy greeder breeders.

They still need to get out walking. Jack Russells are usually very clever and need lots of stimulation. Nearly all dogs will need 30+ minutes a day outside. I know some wheelchair users who manage this no problem, once a dog is lead trained they're happy to stick with you, but of course only you know what will work for you.

I would beg you to consider this fully before getting a dog, because you have to commit to it for a long time. Getting out and about isn't just about the exercise for them, it's their form of entertainment and interaction with the world, they love smelling and seeing different things. It's cruel to get a dog if you won't be able to take them out or to arrange for someone else to take them out daily.

May I add to this please? Thank you! I had a Jack Russell/basset cross who was a live wire. My mobility has become erratic and limited but I learned that as long as I was around, she would race and play etc and get all the exercise she needed. She was happiest out here where the lanes are traffic free and she would race on ahead of me, then come back when I called. As long as you have outdoor space eg a garden, and can throw a ball, long formal walks are not essential. She found her own stimulation; into everything. A very happy wee dog she was.

Graces7 wrote: »
    May I add to this please? Thank you! I had a Jack Russell/basset cross who was a live wire. My mobility has become erratic and limited but I learned that as long as I was around, she would race and play etc and get all the exercise she needed. She was happiest out here where the lanes are traffic free and she would race on ahead of me, then come back when I called. As long as you have outdoor space eg a garden, and can throw a ball, long formal walks are not essential. She found her own stimulation; into everything. A very happy wee dog she was.

Our back garden is an ok size. And yes, we can both throw a ball/toy around.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Not sure how much exercise we'd be able to give it being wheelchair users?? We wouldn't be able to walk it on a leash for example.

Hi. I know you’re not looking for an assistance dog but it would be good to contact an organisation that provides these to wheelchairs users as they may be able to help you understand some practical things that you need to consider that may not be obvious to others.

For example size could be a consideration...my relative who is a wheelchair users can easily interact with taller dogs as they are arm height. But smaller dogs she can’t unless someone picks it up as she can’t bend down to floor level.....this will differ from person to person.

Another relative uses a walker. Smaller dogs seem to be more likely to trip people up in walkers from what I’ve seen as they tend to zip under and around people’s feet in my opinion. A larger dog (that is trained properly) is more visible to the person using walker.

It would be great to get info from the assistance dog organisation and then go to a reputable rescue. If you have clear needs they will help match a suitable dog for you.
    Any dog will need to be brought on walk, I’m sure the dog could be trained to walk with you. Maybe foster for a few weeks and figure out if it is for you. :)

Financial should be considered..... vet check I, yearly vacations, worm fleas every few months. Non routine vets. Dentals. Food. Kennels when away.

• Advertisement

Also depending on breed grooming may be needed every 8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Our back garden is an ok size. And yes, we can both throw a ball/toy around.

Will you or someone else be able to physically take the dog out for at least a 30 minute walk at least once a day? Throwing a ball around the back garden isn't an alternative.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm being a complete negatron but you haven't actually answered this question yet and unless the answer is "Yes" then you're not really in a position to get a dog regardless of how much you both want one.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Will you or someone else be able to physically take the dog out for at least a 30 minute walk at least once a day? Throwing a ball around the back garden isn't an alternative.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm being a complete negatron but you haven't actually answered this question yet and unless the answer is "Yes" then you're not really in a position to get a dog regardless of how much you both want one.

Actually it is. Playing fetch is great exercise and they love the interaction with you. I did this for many a year perforce. Dog was healthy and happy and lived to a good age. I used to say that on the short walks I was able for she got at least twice the exercise as she would run on ahead then race to me when I called.

There were naysayers to me then but I am happy with what we did. Disabled folk find ways round what others would find impossible.

Dial Hard wrote: »

Actually it is. Playing fetch is great exercise and they love the interaction with you. I did this for many a year perforce. Dog was healthy and happy and lived to a good age. I used to say that on the short walks I was able for she got at least twice the exercise as she would run on ahead then race to me when I called.

There were naysayers to me then but I am happy with what we did. Disabled folk find ways round what others would find impossible.

I don’t agree that playing with a ball in a back garden is the same as going for a walk. They do get exercise however a walk for a dog is not just about exercise. some dogs can become overly stimulated from playing fetch. I know someone who was recommended to stop playing fetch for this reason as the dog was completely wired for hours after playing fetch for 15 mins.

Most dogs enjoy sniffing new smells, seeing things, feeling new textures, meeting other dogs etc while out on walks etc. A walk isn’t just about exercise.

If the OP gets the right info and goes to a reputable rescue they may be able to bring the dog on short walks as long as the dog is calm and used to other dogs. Some dogs can’t walk much due to mobility issues so it may not even need to be 30 mins a day.

There are other ways to mentally stimulate a dog such as enrichment. The rescue will help the OP with this too.

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I don’t agree that playing with a ball in a back garden is the same as going for a walk. They do get exercise however a walk for a dog is not just about exercise. some dogs can become overly stimulated from playing fetch. I know someone who was recommended to stop playing fetch for this reason as the dog was completely wired for hours after playing fetch for 15 mins.

Most dogs enjoy sniffing new smells, seeing things, feeling new textures, meeting other dogs etc while out on walks etc. A walk isn’t just about exercise.

If the OP gets the right info and goes to a reputable rescue they may be able to bring the dog on short walks as long as the dog is calm and used to other dogs. Some dogs can’t walk much due to mobility issues so it may not even need to be 30 mins a day.

There are other ways to mentally stimulate a dog such as enrichment. The rescue will help the OP with this too.

I did say short walks as well :confused: My disability limits mobility. As will the OP's. And as I have said my dog ( well 2 of them) was happy and lively with my routine and needs .

Hate the idea of folk saying someone cannot have a dog unless a, b and c are in place. We find ways

On these matter we will have to agree to differ, please/ I had this conversation way back when my mobility started to fade and I had two dogs. We did fine, and I am sure the OP will do also . There really are no rigid rules.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry Graces7, but could you just remind us of the reasons why you didnt get another dog please?

I did say short walks as well :confused: My disability limits mobility. As will the OP's. And as I have said my dog ( well 2 of them) was happy and lively with my routine and needs .

Hate the idea of folk saying someone cannot have a dog unless a, b and c are in place. We find ways

On these matter we will have to agree to differ, please/ I had this conversation way back when my mobility started to fade and I had two dogs. We did fine, and I am sure the OP will do also . There really are no rigid rules.

I never said that the person can't get a dog. In fact I have done quite the opposite and encouraged the OP to get help from people that will be able to advise on the practicalities involved as this will set them up for success.....the same way I would encourage anyone to think about the realities of owning a dog.
    Knowing what to expect is far better than being in a situation where a person becomes stressed out due to lack of research. One of the most common reasons dogs get rehomed is because there is not enough research done on breed before getting a dog

For example, there is no point in the OP getting a dog that is a bundle of energy if they need a calm dog, some breeds are far more energetic than others and need a lot of exercise or stimulation or they will become destructive. Others tend to be couch potatoes. Also, mobility will be different from person to person, some people are more or less mobile than others.

I never said there are rigid rules....I have simply said the OP needs to get information and then go to a reputable rescue that will match with a dog that suits his / her lifestyle so they understand what is involved in owning a dog.

Sorry Graces7, but could you just remind us of the reasons why you didnt get another dog please?

Several factors. Where I live now; farming country and I do not have an enclosed garden. My previous dog was very amenable and well trained. A newcomer would have been a different matter .

My own health is declining and I am nearly 80. Not just a mobility issue which I have been coping with for decades but far less energy and resources and far more acute pain. As in needing to be off my feet and abed now most of the day. As opposed to mobility issues which many of us disabled cope with and still have dogs as I did many years. A wheelchair and exercising as I have done years is not an issue. Needing to be abed in a dark room many hours each day is a different matter.

Just now, taking care of my own basic needs is more than enough. As opposed to disabled folk in wheelchairs whose basic health is still sound, mine is .. shot!

I would love a dog but it would not be fair on the dog as I am now. It was a very difficult decision I can assure you and I still yearn,

but that is that! My family know me and hence told me to go and rescue three more cats! They are great dog people and we talked it all through in depth.

Not disability but illness which is not going to ease now. My cats curl up abed with me .

near tears here...please excuse me . everywhere here is filled with the time I had with my dog.

I never said that the person can't get a dog. In fact I have done quite the opposite and encouraged the OP to get help from people that will be able to advise on the practicalities involved as this will set them up for success.....the same way I would encourage anyone to think about the realities of owning a dog.
    Knowing what to expect is far better than being in a situation where a person becomes stressed out due to lack of research. One of the most common reasons dogs get rehomed is because there is not enough research done on breed before getting a dog

For example, there is no point in the OP getting a dog that is a bundle of energy if they need a calm dog, some breeds are far more energetic than others and need a lot of exercise or stimulation or they will become destructive. Others tend to be couch potatoes. Also, mobility will be different from person to person, some people are more or less mobile than others.

I never said there are rigid rules....I have simply said the OP needs to get information and then go to a reputable rescue that will match with a dog that suits his / her lifestyle so they understand what is involved in owning a dog.

It was not primarily your post I was referring to. agreeing with you totally. Hoping the OP goes to a rescue and falls in love! The rest will follow with their help.

• Advertisement

It was not primarily your post I was referring to. agreeing with you totally. Hoping the OP goes to a rescue and falls in love! The rest will follow with their help.

I have done the same as you. I can’t commit financially or time wise to a dog so I own a cat. She’s not independent like most cats so needs more care and she’s quite a little character. But it’s great that I can leave all day without restrictions and I don’t need to commit to walks.

I think I would get a lurcher or a little whippet if I get one in the future .Generally they are quite calm. I adore their temperament and find them very calming to be around. When I see owners with them I am a little envious of them!

Advertisement