Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does running actually cost?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It cost everything, little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As sports go, it's really cheap; all depends on how much involved one is in said sport, and how far one goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I've been for four runs and I've already spend €120 on physio and €140 on new runners..

Miklos wrote: »
    I've been for four runs and I've already spend €120 on physio and €140 on new runners..

Yeh, it's a physically very demanding and tough discipline....

But, sometimes, time and rest are the best, and only healers; but you may pay for someone to tell you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

walshb wrote: »
    Yeh, it's a physically very demanding and tough discipline....

But, sometimes, time and rest are the best, and only healers; but you may pay for someone to tell you that!

Yeah I’m finding that out. My main sport is cycling so I have the engine just need to get the frame in order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Doesn't everyone just do that Irish Drinks Conversion Ratio to justify any expenses associated with running?

eg. Normal Person - "90 Euros to enter the Dublin marathon!!?!??!"

Runner - "Sure you wouldn't be long spending that in the pub would you?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I don't use gels, tabs, supplements etc. Granted I run very short distances but my SiL is a marathon runner and also doesn't bother with any of the above except during an actual marathon.
    She's right. Expensive pee is what it all amounts to.... at best.

More important cost that people need to assess is the cost to the body!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

I really don't know, probably quite a lot actually, race entires, shoes, sports bra, sports massage/physio, club membership, irish runner magazine, , a little bit of travel. I've never attempted to calculate it. But I do know it's the best money I spend. If I didn't spend it on running I'd spend it in some other probably far less healthy way. It's a way of life and a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The way I look at it is that I do not go out drinking at the weekends so it is almost cost neutral. I enter about events 2 a months (viz. HM) say, £60.00 but I'd easily spend that out on the booze.

If I'm running a marathon then the hotel the night before will be costly plus train ticket.

I recently bought the Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next% (£240.00)...:o
    - don't bother with Mag subscriptions as they just regurgitate the same articles every 12 mths
    - I do have Strava prem- not sure why though- may cancel that next year
    - have not bought shorts in over two years. One pair are over 10 years old- nothing wrong with them
    - only keep a few technical t-shirts- most I don't bother even collecting at the end.
    - don't go to a physio even though I am on 50km plus per week atm
    - did spend £60.00 on a bad ass foam roller which to be fair is very good for my patella tendonitis
    - socks, jackets I've 2-3 years now and no need to replace any time soon
    - only use gels when putting in runs of 16miles plus
    - in my arsenal I have trail shoes, spikes for the weekly track speed sessions (£40.00 in 2016), and two pairs of road shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone just do that Irish Drinks Conversion Ratio to justify any expenses associated with running?

eg. Normal Person - "90 Euros to enter the Dublin marathon!!?!??!"

Runner - "Sure you wouldn't be long spending that in the pub would you?" :D

Yes indeed or the "Hooker Exchange" we have.

"€200.00...jaysus that's two hookers in Ireland or 4 hookers in Amsterdam":D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

For each person its different.

If I wasn't running it would probably cost me (health-wise) a lot more.

I do mainly IMRA races which work out unbelievable value at €5 a pop. The odd BHAA race which is almost as cheap. Personally I'd steer away from high price races. Get lots of useful free gear from running with IMRA too if you support enough races in a voluntary capacity.

I've tonnes of race gear, t-shirts, etc so no need to be buying anything new. The main expense is probably the Garmin which lasts c. 3 years.

The other expense people mention is runners. I'm happy to wear runners to death. Buy them in sales or on discount. TKMaxx new balance for €40 on avg.

So, in my case, the cost is little. Probably a minus cost :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I think there's a slight vanity issue for some people. For example, I don't mind wearing running gear for a decade but I have noticed some people being conscious of being photographed at races by friends and family, and so will look back on social media. It's hardly wedding season disaster but each to their own.

On the cycling / running crossover I'd be curious on one thing: in the past I would never have even dreamt of chamois / saddle creams for distance running but now that I have been introduced to it by cyclist-runners I have now incorporated it into my list of running expenses.

I think that unnecessary physio instead of rest / recuperation is probably an increasing cost as one gets older.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

I think a sports massage will help rid 'aches and strain' that foam rolling cannot,especially if your training for something in particular. Rest might do the same but would probably take a lot of rest😉

Advertisement