Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Kids in non kid films

  • 16-08-2019 9:21am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    I went to a screening last night of once upon a time in hollywood.
    Plonked in front of me was a mum and her kid I would say he was about maybe 8.
    I checked to see what age film was and it was 18, the staff clearly saw him and did nothing.
    I wanted to say something, my partner wouldnt let me.
    What would you do in this situation?
    Are there penalties for breaching the age admittance to films?


    (BTW his mum and him eventually left when there was a mention of blow jobs....but it was a good while into the film).


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭ El Duda


    Natalie Portman in Leon


    I didn't read the OP. I hope i am doing this thread right?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭ SoundsRight


    The law prohibits children from watching 18 rates films in the cinema.

    http://www.ifco.ie/en/IFCO/Pages/FAQ

    I can only assume whoever was selling the tickets didn't want to cause a scene by refusing admission, being accused of discriminating against single mothers etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭ optogirl


    The law prohibits children from watching 18 rates films in the cinema.

    http://www.ifco.ie/en/IFCO/Pages/FAQ

    I can only assume whoever was selling the tickets didn't want to cause a scene by refusing admission, being accused of discriminating against single mothers etc.

    ???? You don't have to be a single mother to go the cinema with your child without the other parent. Wouldn't dream of bringing an 8 year old to an 18s mind you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭ Hello 2D Person Below


    Why would you say something? The child is with an adult and the employees are aware of it.

    I'd sit and gorge on me popcorn, guzzle me Fanta and enjoy the film.
    I can only assume whoever was selling the tickets didn't want to cause a scene by refusing admission, being accused of discriminating against single mothers etc.
    A truly bizarre conclusion.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    The law prohibits children from watching 18 rates films in the cinema.

    http://www.ifco.ie/en/IFCO/Pages/FAQ

    I can only assume whoever was selling the tickets didn't want to cause a scene by refusing admission, being accused of discriminating against single mothers etc.
    It was a free screening, but you had to collect the tickets from counter and then tickets were checked on the way in, plus there were 2 ushers shifting people about...so they clearly saw the kid and did feck all.
    BTW i am guessing 10 he was probably a bit younger.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    Why would you say something? The child is with an adult and the employees are aware of it.

    I'd sit and gorge on me popcorn, guzzle me Fanta and enjoy the film.

    A truly bizarre conclusion.
    When a child shouts in the middle of it
    MA WHATS A BLOWJOB?!

    it rather takes you out of the film.

    It really wasnt a suitable film for a kid of that age.


  • Registered Users Posts: 888 fmpisces


    I agree it's not right to take a minor with you to a screening that's only suitable for adults, but it's not your place to say anything either. Also incorrect to assume she was a single mother just because she was alone with her child.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    fmpisces wrote: »
    I agree it's not right to take a minor with you to a screening that's only suitable for adults, but it's not your place to say anything either. Also incorrect to assume she was a single mother just because she was alone with her child.
    If the kid is talking the whole way through it and asking MA WHATS A BLOWJOB - Why would it not be ok to say anything?
    If my partner hadnt been there I definitely would have complained.


    I didnt assume anything about the woman being a single mother....that was another poster.


  • Registered Users Posts: 888 fmpisces


    gmisk wrote: »
    If the kid is talking the whole way through it and asking MA WHATS A BLOWJOB - Why would it not be ok to say anything?
    If my partner hadnt been there I definitely would have complained.


    I didnt assume anything about the woman being a single mother....that was another poster.

    I totally understand why you would want to say something (I would too), but it's not your child.

    I'm sorry I should have referenced that I wasn't blaming you for the single mother comment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭ silverharp


    if the kid was bored and p1ssing about I would say something to the parent , You take your chances with a PG or 12A movie. If its specifically an 18's movie the expectations have to be no kids ruining the movie.

    A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭ Tombo2001


    Is this an issue in general OP? (Answer, No its not).

    This is a single incident that you happened to observe.

    Its not great, but its hardly the most shocking incident of bad parenting I've ever seen.

    Why are you starting a thread about it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ Pretty.Odd.


    gmisk wrote: »
    It was a free screening, but you had to collect the tickets from counter and then tickets were checked on the way in, plus there were 2 ushers shifting people about...so they clearly saw the kid and did feck all.
    BTW i am guessing 10 he was probably a bit younger.

    I was at a free screening of this yesterday too. Staff in cinema were checking ID and turned away a few u18s.


  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 54,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mr E


    There were signs up everywhere in my local Odeon to say that OUATIH was strictly 18s - if you were asked for ID and couldn't produce it, they would refuse admission.

    First time I've seen that in a long time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ B_ecke_r


    Favourite film @ that age was Jaws - It didn't scar me for life. (still won't get me in the Sea like but...)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ El Rifle


    Imagine taking an 8 year old to a Tarantino movie. Any Tarantino movie. The mother must of been on crack or something.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ Skerries


    El Duda wrote: »
    Natalie Portman in Leon

    the problem is when it's the other way around


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    fmpisces wrote: »
    I agree it's not right to take a minor with you to a screening that's only suitable for adults, but it's not your place to say anything either. Also incorrect to assume she was a single mother just because she was alone with her child.
    Mr E wrote: »
    There were signs up everywhere in my local Odeon to say that OUATIH was strictly 18s - if you were asked for ID and couldn't produce it, they would refuse admission.

    First time I've seen that in a long time.
    This was in the Odeon at point village, I didnt see any signs tbh.


    Look tbh I would have turned a blind eye (as my partner wanted me to) to the fact he was so young if he shut up.....he didnt.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Is this an issue in general OP? (Answer, No its not).

    This is a single incident that you happened to observe.

    Its not great, but its hardly the most shocking incident of bad parenting I've ever seen.

    Why are you starting a thread about it?
    Why does anyone start a thread? Because I wanted to hear peoples opinions.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭ SoundsRight


    fmpisces wrote: »
    I agree it's not right to take a minor with you to a screening that's only suitable for adults, but it's not your place to say anything either. Also incorrect to assume she was a single mother just because she was alone with her child.

    It's absolutely your place to say it. A child is being exposed to images of sex and violence that are entirely inappropriate. That's why the law is there. Shame on anyone who turns a blind eye to that. Jeez, have we not learned anything in this country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭ eviltimeban


    When I was a kid (about 15) my dad took me to see Total Recall in the Adelphi. He forgot himself when buying the tickets and asked if there was a child rate (the movie was 18s). The ticket office refused to give him the tickets. He had to ask a guy to buy the tickets for him! :-)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭ KathleenGrant


    I would be with OP on this. If I saw someone under age at an 18's film I would say something. Probably to staff though, not the parent.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ziedth


    I would be with OP on this. If I saw someone under age at an 18's film I would say something. Probably to staff though, not the parent.

    Really? Like if there was a 12 year old sitting quietly watching a QT film you would go out and say something? - Your not "wrong" to do that of course but in a million years I wouldn't do it.

    Granted it was many many years ago but I was very young watching "adult" films. I still remember I went to see seven and Die hard with a vengeance in the cinema and I was 11 or 12. I genuinely believe the reason I enjoy films as much as I do is because I watched these films with my older brother. George of the Jungle was probably in the cinema around the same time as Die hard. I know which film steered me towards films more


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭ SoundsRight


    ziedth wrote: »
    Really? Like if there was a 12 year old sitting quietly watching a QT film you would go out and say something? - Your not "wrong" to do that of course but in a million years I wouldn't do it.

    Granted it was many many years ago but I was very young watching "adult" films. I still remember I went to see seven and Die hard with a vengeance in the cinema and I was 11 or 12. I genuinely believe the reason I enjoy films as much as I do is because I watched these films with my older brother. George of the Jungle was probably in the cinema around the same time as Die hard. I know which film steered me towards films more

    Kids watching Arnie or John McClane blowing stuff up is one thing. Kids watching a QT film, which have featured scenes of torture, drug use, gay sex and countless n-bombs is another thing altogether. You have a moral duty to report to the cinema staff, and/or the Gardai. It could be a way of adults grooming a child into thinking that they are ready for sex.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    Kids watching Arnie or John McClane blowing stuff up is one thing. Kids watching a QT film, which have featured scenes of torture, drug use, gay sex and countless n-bombs is another thing altogether. You have a moral duty to report to the cinema staff, and/or the Gardai. It could be a way of adults grooming a child into thinking that they are ready for sex.
    Could you not have just said sex?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭ optogirl


    Kids watching Arnie or John McClane blowing stuff up is one thing. Kids watching a QT film, which have featured scenes of torture, drug use, gay sex and countless n-bombs is another thing altogether. You have a moral duty to report to the cinema staff, and/or the Gardai. It could be a way of adults grooming a child into thinking that they are ready for sex.

    Gay sex as opposed to any other type of sex?

    On the grooming tangent - surely there are more straightforward porn films to use in such instances. A tarantino film usually makes sex violent and unappealing so hardly a go to to convince a child to partake.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭ Ragnar Lothbrok


    If the child was actually causing a disturbance it would have been absolutely right to complain to a member of staff - same thing as anyone of any age ruining films for others.

    If the child was just watching the film quietly, then really, it's none of your business. We don't all agree on differing parenting choices, and if his mother was happy enough to bring him, then so be it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 38,249 ✭✭✭✭ Guy:Incognito


    optogirl wrote: »
    Gay sex as opposed to any other type of sex?

    On the grooming tangent - surely there are more straightforward porn films to use in such instances. A tarantino film usually makes sex violent and unappealing so hardly a go to to convince a child to partake.

    More male rape rather than gay sex I'd have thought?

    Kids dont need to be watching sex scenes and certainly not violent sex or rape scenes .

    Theres a reason film classifications exist and just saying "well I saw this 18's film so they're all ok" isnt any sort of justification. Theres a world of difference in the range of 18's films.
    .
    . We don't all agree on differing parenting choices, and if his mother was happy enough to bring him, then so be it.

    The law agrees.

    While no one can stop you showing what you like to your kids at home , businesses are subject to the law and face punishment


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭ SoundsRight


    optogirl wrote: »
    Gay sex as opposed to any other type of sex?

    On the grooming tangent - surely there are more straightforward porn films to use in such instances. A tarantino film usually makes sex violent and unappealing so hardly a go to to convince a child to partake.

    You would be less likely to be reported in a cinema if you took a child to watch a mainstream film which featured sex scenes than a straight-up pornographic film. Are people genuinely comfortable watching sex scenes in the presence of children? That's disturbing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk


    You would be less likely to be reported in a cinema if you took a child to watch a mainstream film which featured sex scenes than a straight-up pornographic film. Are people genuinely comfortable watching sex scenes in the presence of children? That's disturbing.
    Clearly people are not, what responses made you think people are?
    Why does it matter if its gay sex? as opposed to straight people having sex? You still havent answered that.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭ xieann


    Terminator movies - young John connor
    Downfall - Goebells kids


Advertisement