Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New attic circuit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

No problem at all with a ring circuit on a 20amp.
    If the ring is sound it can handle up to 32 amps but unless the 20 amp is tripping on overload it's fine as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    I would have thought that C type were permitted once the EFLI was low enough (although B type is preferred).

I agree that it's not unsafe so long as the EFLI is sufficiently low to ensure that disconnection times are met, however unfortunately it is not permitted by Rule 533.3.4

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Redy321

anacc wrote: »
    I'm planning on rewiring my attic. At the moment it's not very safe. While the rest of the house is wired in radial circuits there a couple of rooms that are wired in a ring circuit. From a socket on that ring there's a spur to a socket in another room. Then there's another spur from that spur/socket to a double socket in the attic. The lights in the attic are flourescent tube fixtures that are wired to a plug that is in one side of the double socket, then there's an extension cable plugged into the other side of the double socket and that extension cable runs the length of the attic (it's a very long bungalow) where there's a few things plugged in.

I want to remove the second spur off the ring. I'll then run 2.5mm T+E up to the attic from the hotpress where the distribution box is, then connect a few sockets in series. These sockets are for my modem, an ethernet switch, a couple of WiFi APs, a Sky box that's used for multiroom, and I'll probably also be installing wired alarms and maybe a doorbell.

I'd like to also connect the attic lights to this circuit. I know it's not best practice to connect lights to an RCD-protected circuit but these lights are not going to be regular house lights where the RCD tripping the lights could potentially be a hazard. Would it fall foul of regs having that attic lighting on the same circuit as the attic sockets?

To connect the lights to the circuit I would put a 13A fused spur with a switch (infintely better than the current process of groping in the dark to plug in the lights). From that switched spur I would run 1.5mm T+E to connect 4 bulkheads with LED bulbs. Is there an issue mixing 2.5mm and 1.5mm cable on the same circuit in this manner? The 13A fuse would be protecting the 1.5mm cable, yeah?

There is a spare 20A MCB in the distribution box that is RCD protected. It was for a circuit that an electrician moved a few years ago to an RCBO, so the MCB is fine and can be reused. Although I know I'm capable of wiring up the circuit in the box I'll call an electrician for that part because of the regs... Is there any issue with me doing the rest of the installation as long as a REC connects it in the box?

I made a diagram to help visualise the installation in case I'm not explaining clearly smile.png

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    The idea is very good, complex, but good, I like it.
    I did something similar at home. That was three years ago. My wife and I decided to make a special renovation and a smart home system. I'm not a professional and I tried to just plan the scheme and how it will look later. after I had to print the Board for a special remote control for this system, after that I realized that I needed
    pcb design software and we did a great repair. It was a long time, by the way the attic is still empty, I liked your idea, I can advise you to use our experience. I hope I helped you and thank you for the idea:)

Advertisement