Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run the Line trail race - 16th Nov

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Anyone know what a good trail equivalent ( if there is such a thing) to Brooks Adrenaline GTS19 road shoe?

Ive ran in adrenalines the last few years...bought Columbia trans alp ii (€60ish on Amazon the funky colours are usually cheapest) but I think you might be leaving it very late to break new runners in at this stage.
    (Wore the Columbias up the Mourne skyline a few weeks back and still fell/slipped umpteen times so just because youve trail runners on it doesnt mean you cant fall...all depends on conditions and location etc..)

They also do a Brooks adrenaline ASR which is the trail equivalent of the Adr. gts 19’ s i think the sole is slightly different..

Did the marathon a few years before RTL so as long as your not going for a podium you should be good...(saying that ive to decide if im doing long or short myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

(Wore the Columbias up the Mourne skyline a few weeks back and still fell/slipped umpteen times so just because youve trail runners on it doesnt mean you cant fall...all depends on conditions and location etc..)

I think we would have needed crampons for that day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Anyone know what a good trail equivalent ( if there is such a thing) to Brooks Adrenaline GTS19 road shoe?

Ive ran in adrenalines the last few years...bought Columbia trans alp ii (€60ish on Amazon the funky colours are usually cheapest) but I think you might be leaving it very late to break new runners in at this stage.

They also do a Brooks adrenaline ASR which is the trail equivalent of the Adr. gts 19’ s i think the sole is slightly different..

Did the marathon a few years before RTL so as long as your not going for a podium you should be good...(saying that ive to decide if im doing long or short myself)

Tried Asics , Inov today but looks like Brooks Cascadia might be the job for me, as guy in shop says they have similar foot plant to adrenalines.(Didnt have my size) Might have to opt for short course and road runners and hope for the best as I'm not sure now I can get a pair in time as I'd have to order through shop or go online.Maybe it'll dry up in the next week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

RedRunner wrote: »
    Tried Asics , Inov today but looks like Brooks Cascadia might be the job for me, as guy in shop says they have similar foot plant to adrenalines.(Didnt have my size) Might have to opt for short course and road runners and hope for the best as I'm not sure now I can get a pair in time as I'd have to order through shop or go online.Maybe it'll dry up in the next week:)

I've been mainly running in Brook Adrenaline for years and got the Cascadia for RtL last year. Found them good.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think we would have needed crampons for that day :pac:

I was thinking rugby boots :D crampons it is for next year..

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »

Ive ran the last 6 from 7 RTLs in Adrenlines..other than the year of ice always got round the long course regardless of weather. (But thats me) it will be the first year in trail runners for me. Go easy you’ll be grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭muloc

Are there any mandatory kit requirements for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Those of ye that are running in trail shoes, are they waterproof? I see different opinions on which to go for.
    I wouldn't be running on soft ground regularly but would do the occasional mountainy bog road with big puddles. I was running recently and tried to skip a puddle and went ankle deep.

Fully waterproof could be handy but I'd imagine are slow to dry out and could smell more as a result.

Part of me thinks I'd be better off with an older pair of runners. Not too worried about mucking them up and I don't think I would be doing anything too technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Those of ye that are running in trail shoes, are they waterproof? I see different opinions on which to go for.
    I wouldn't be running on soft ground regularly but would do the occasional mountainy bog road with big puddles. I was running recently and tried to skip a puddle and went ankle deep.

Fully waterproof could be handy but I'd imagine are slow to dry out and could smell more as a result.

Part of me thinks I'd be better off with an older pair of runners. Not too worried about mucking them up and I don't think I would be doing anything too technical.

I'll 100% certainly running in waterproof trail shoes.

Speed up the drying process by stuffing them with newspaper afterwards. But I generally find its not a big problem.

The main reason for trail shoes is grip and durability. Loss of confidence in grip will result in your speed nosediving. Actual loss of grip could result in you nosediving. I have seen plenty of shoes disintegrating mid-run. That would be a small risk with an old pair of road shoes.

Waterproof trail shoes could actually be more beneficial on the short course, as you're less likely to go beyond ankle deep.

muloc wrote: »
    Are there any mandatory kit requirements for this?

On the website they have a recommended kit list...

The event is open to runners, and walkers of 18 years of age and over.
    Participants must ensure they have appropriate footwear, clothing and have access to water and energy food whilst competing.
    All participants must refer to the recommended kit list.
    All participants must follow the prescribed course adhere to the spirit of the event by showing courtesy to other trail users, dropping no litter – we operate a Leave No Trace Policy, http://www.leavenotraceireland.org. If you drop your rubbish you WILL be disqualified. Leaving gates as found, offering fellow runners who are injured, exhausted or confused, help and support and no dogs are allowed on the course.

Running shoes (trail runners or ordinary runners)
    Hydration pack or water bottle
    Energy snacks
    Windproof top
    Hat or Buff
    Participants must be aware that weather conditions in the mountains can change and deteriorate rapidly and should bring appropriate clothing to keep them warm in any adverse weather.

It is also recommended that all competitors undertake a training program in the months leading up to this event to ensure the day is as memorable as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

From the info email..
    The forecast for Saturday is not looking good. The course will be wet underfoot and it is likely to rain during the event. Temperatures are also expected to continue to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

was up at fairy castle last night.... not sure it can get any wetter at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Recce'd most of the long course the other day, the trail down to tibradden, aside from the dark woods, is buried under water. Water proof socks came in very handy! I think though from talking to somebody in the know afterwards, that this section is changed slightly for this year and they will use a trail close to but above the old one.

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Other/Ticknock/

Tomorrow, Saturday 16/11/2019
    Time Forecast Temp. Precipitation Wind
    00:00–06:00
    Fog. 6° 0.1 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northwestGentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northwest
    06:00–12:00
    Cloudy. 4° 0.1 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from northwestLight breeze, 3 m/s from northwest
    12:00–18:00
    Cloudy. 6° 0 mm Light breeze, 3 m/s from northwestLight breeze, 3 m/s from northwest
    18:00–00:00
    Cloudy. 5° 0 mm Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from west-northwestGentle breeze, 4 m/s from west-northwest

Forecast is looking good for tomorrow not sure of ground conditions stayed off the open mountain Wednesday evening with the rain we had on that night alone should be plenty of puddles...
    Safe round everyone and to new comers enjoy it...the road runs will never be quite the same ever again... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

Looking forward to it, best of luck to everyone!

I've the Gingerbread run as well on Sunday so hopefully won't have any mishaps & end up in the medical tent like two years ago.

Looking forward to this also, great weather expected for a hill run, but I expect a lot of water remains on the course. Now, long or short... ha!

Looking forward to this also, great weather expected for a hill run, but I expect a lot of water remains on the course. Now, long or short... ha!

If Im doing long and you end up doing short DOH!!

Another great edition of this race. Probably the best conditions I've experienced in the last 6 years of it. I had the usually solid first half, then the slow death back over fairy castle and a bad cramp when I overshot the turn up around 22k in that used to be along the wall. The new trail section down to Tibradden was a great find and the scouts were great there too.

Seemed to be lot more people doing the race this year. We had 14 from our club alone which was brilliant. Well done to DWMRT.

Great well organised event. I started in wave 3 as I'm a somewhat clumsy & nervous trail runner so didn't want to be slowing down people, there were four of us in the start pen :) Suspect it will be just two starts next year. In the end I finished a little below mid-table so happy with that and no falls!

Closest thing I've come to trail running is the 4th Km of the Marlay parkrun so this was new territory for me :D Thoroughly enjoyed the short course. I'd no idea what to expect in terms of the terrain and how exactly to run/race it so went off feel and tried to emulate those around me with the exception of the guy who had a small tumble in front of me coming down the first big descent. Got around in 1:26 which I'm delighted with.

Just waiting for the sales in a few weeks to pick up a decent pair of trail runners so I can get up around the area a bit more.

Thanks to the organisers, nothing but good things to say about the event. Photos up on Facebook look great. Everyone smiling in them says it all. Will be back next year for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Fantastic event. I haven't done any trail running in a while so I died on the uphills and was probably a bit too cautious on the descents. The new (to me) start/finish location is also a huge improvement on Lamb Doyle's and showed just how big the even as become.
    Kudos to all of the staff and volunteers for making it such a great day. I hope yiz made lots of money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

Brilliant event. Really enjoyed it. Really well organised with marshals well placed all over the course and a great setup in the Gap. Looking forward to doing the long course next year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2868585775

no early bird entry for next year, just standard pre-reg option :(

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

What a great event. A massive thanks to the volunteers, they were so enthusiastic on sat.

Question for the 26k runners, how does it compare to the 13k route? So is the first half harder than the second?

Not sure to be honest as have never done the shorter route but this is the elevation my watch recorded for the run if that's of any help.

495688.png

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

opus wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest as have never done the shorter route but this is the elevation my watch recorded for the run if that's of any help.

495688.png

Thanks for that, the 7.5-10km 'hill' looks interesting alright!!!

kulekat wrote: »
    What a great event. A massive thanks to the volunteers, they were so enthusiastic on sat.

Question for the 26k runners, how does it compare to the 13k route? So is the first half harder than the second?

The answer is in the training really...
    If you haven't got the training done it will all be difficult...
    Plenty of hills in the 2nd 3rd of the route and collectively it saps the legs near the end (on uphills in particular).
    The other thing unless your on the podium for the short course you have to work out when the best time to walk/wog and conserve/build energy is.(usually uphill;)),
    Terrain wise its grand two forest sections and some fire trails.
    A few from here do reccies the weeks leading up to the event but the maps/trials are good enough off the RTL website to go exploring yourself albeit the forest sections would be tough to find and stay on track have you not done them on several occasions.

My advice join IMRA you'll soon find your way around the different places.

There may be a better thread to ask this but what's the deal with all the backpacks? What do people carry in them?

py wrote: »
    There may be a better thread to ask this but what's the deal with all the backpacks? What do people carry in them?

Hydration back packs..a bladder slots in them that you can put water/fuel into and carry with you..straw comes out of them and you can fuel/hydrate during the event
    Depending on the race some require you also carry a mandatory kit as well (rain gear/compass/head torch etc) so you can bang it all in the back pack..

Decathlon/Halfords/Argos/Aldi/Lidl do a cheap entry level version and train with it before race day rather than arrive and run..

• Advertisement
Advertisement