Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Starting car for first time in 5 years.

• 10-08-2019 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭ Jomcc

Have a car that has just turned 30 so I'm going to sort out taxing it etc. I haven't started it for 5 years or so. Is there anything I should be careful to do or not to do when starting it for first time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭ Max Headroom

Change the oil, filter,fuel filter,carb (if fitted) is probably gummed up....petrol in the tank will be probably gone off....take the plugs out and spin it over a few times before trying to start it..
    Check clutch has'nt seized....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ hi5

When you have the plugs out pour a little engine oil into each cylinder and let it sit and leak down past the rings for a while.
    Maybe take the valve cover off and give the cam a good soaking with fresh oil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ slipperyox

I'd pour diesel atf or a light oil in spark plug hole...do no harm and penetrate better.
    start for a few seconds to build oil pressure with ignition not sparking.

OR...stick a battery in it..pour some gas down the carb and fire it up..rev the bjesus out of it and ...smile...seems that way on EVERY american car show.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭ JabbaTheHut

Jomcc wrote: »
    Have a car that has just turned 30 so I'm going to sort out taxing it etc. I haven't started it for 5 years or so. Is there anything I should be careful to do or not to do when starting it for first time?

If it's got a timing belt, at the very least take a good look at it. Best replace it if unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭ PsychoPete

OR...stick a battery in it..pour some gas down the carb and fire it up..rev the bjesus out of it and ...smile...seems that way on EVERY american car show.....:D

That worked for me once on a car that wasn't started in 15 years, well the belts did snap a few seconds later but it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭ jmreire

What make of car is it?? Year, engine type, diesel/ Petrol Etc. ?

jmreire wrote: »
    What make of car is it?? Year, engine type, diesel/ Petrol Etc. ?

Nissan leaf............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭ w124man

Jasyus the dissy caps on them need changing every month!

Could always try pushing it , I suppose.....:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭ kyote00

careful to put the blue electrons in and not the red ones.... rookie mistake

Don't leave it out on a windy night.......

Go to Halfords and pick up a 1.21GW jump starter pack........:p

Advertisement