Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting car for first time in 5 years.

• 10-08-2019 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Have a car that has just turned 30 so I'm going to sort out taxing it etc. I haven't started it for 5 years or so. Is there anything I should be careful to do or not to do when starting it for first time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Change the oil, filter,fuel filter,carb (if fitted) is probably gummed up....petrol in the tank will be probably gone off....take the plugs out and spin it over a few times before trying to start it..
    Check clutch has'nt seized....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

When you have the plugs out pour a little engine oil into each cylinder and let it sit and leak down past the rings for a while.
    Maybe take the valve cover off and give the cam a good soaking with fresh oil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I'd pour diesel atf or a light oil in spark plug hole...do no harm and penetrate better.
    start for a few seconds to build oil pressure with ignition not sparking.

OR...stick a battery in it..pour some gas down the carb and fire it up..rev the bjesus out of it and ...smile...seems that way on EVERY american car show.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Jomcc wrote: »
    Have a car that has just turned 30 so I'm going to sort out taxing it etc. I haven't started it for 5 years or so. Is there anything I should be careful to do or not to do when starting it for first time?

If it's got a timing belt, at the very least take a good look at it. Best replace it if unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

OR...stick a battery in it..pour some gas down the carb and fire it up..rev the bjesus out of it and ...smile...seems that way on EVERY american car show.....:D

That worked for me once on a car that wasn't started in 15 years, well the belts did snap a few seconds later but it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭jmreire

What make of car is it?? Year, engine type, diesel/ Petrol Etc. ?

jmreire wrote: »
    What make of car is it?? Year, engine type, diesel/ Petrol Etc. ?

Nissan leaf............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Jasyus the dissy caps on them need changing every month!

Could always try pushing it , I suppose.....:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭kyote00

careful to put the blue electrons in and not the red ones.... rookie mistake

Don't leave it out on a windy night.......

Go to Halfords and pick up a 1.21GW jump starter pack........:p

Advertisement