Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet causing fatigue?

Options
  • 08-08-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

There is another thread on this but not wanting to hijack that I thought I’d start my own. Basically for the last two years I’ve have to contend with (on occasion extreme) fatigue and brain fog. In an attempt to rule out everything and anything I’ve had numerous blood tests done. It threw up nothing apart from a vitamin D deficiency which I’m on supplements for but apart from that I got the “there is nothing wrong with you” diagnosis. Now to be fair I do attribute the extreme bouts of fatigue to the low vitamin D levels. However the persistent lowish levels of tiredness can’t be put down to that particularly when taking something for it. I usually get between 7.30 to 8 hours sleep sometimes longer but it doesn’t seem to make much difference how much I get, the fatigue/brain figure is always there.

My hunch is it is diet related, specifically cofffee/caffeine related and (unhappily) alchol related. In relation to the coffee I drink one cup a day and sometimes go the odd day without. I know people will suggest giving it up for a week to see how I feel and I have done that on occasion, sometimes I feel okay, other times I don’t feel any different. But it’s the only thing that I can put it down to. In relation to alchol, something there has shifted for me, even two glasses of wine has me needing naps on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I’m not talking binge drinking or anything like that and I’m not suffering from hangovers just a very moderate intake of alchol perhaps once a week. For the record I’ve have had blood tests for gluten intolerance and had an endoscopy about 15 years ago which didn’t show up anything. I don’t want to change my lifestyle based on a hunch but I’m not sure what to do with this. The only other thing I can attribute this lethargy/brain fog to is low blood pressure which I do suffer from but again doctors have said it’s on the low side of normal, nothing to worry about. I guess what I’m looking for here is if anyone has had similar symptoms, particularly with coffee? Everyone else seems to get a boost from it but I’m the opposite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

have you done anything to check your sleep quality? any signs of sleep apnea? , some basic supplements, iron, magnesium? hydration good?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

silverharp wrote: »
    have you done anything to check your sleep quality? any signs of sleep apnea? , some basic supplements, iron, magnesium? hydration good?

To be honest I did suspect sleep apnea but haven’t followed up on it. I guess I’ve put it down to diet rather than sleep related. I generally tend to get a good nights sleep. Taking a vitamin D supplement but might look into magnesium supplements too.

Advertisement