Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Maddic_Irl

Recently got the alignment checked at Glounthaune Tyre Centre, he has just got a new 3D jig, quite knowledgeable, good to deal with and very reasonably priced. The rear chamber was way out on a 192.

BTW, I have no affiliation, just sharing my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Thanks for this. Couple of weeks ago I had been to Banks Tyres @ Turners cross, cork and had a bad experience as they scratched two alloys. One of them had a slightly deep scratch & was around 5cm wide. Spoke to the owner and initially he wasn't accepting liability but eventually agreed to fix them. They asked Leo whelan to fix it, he did a good job but I still there's a small area which looks like a different colour and won't match with the rest of the alloy.

Do you know if Glounthaune Tyre Centre have newer touch less tyre changing machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

After having my car plugged into the Zappi charger at home overnight, I got into the car today showing 4Km range and a message about "Mains power too low, unable to charge"

Plugged it in later on and car gives the same message and Zappi says "charging delayed". Zappi manual seems to indicate that this is coming from the car, as in a charge schedule.

Preliminary Googling suggests a KLE module as a common fault. My car is 172 so out of warranty but BMW previously approved out of warranty goodwill on a flaky dash display. Anybody any experience of the charging module fault?

Sorry to hear of your troubles, tbh I do not know if they have touch less. They came highly recommended by a friend who is in the trade and had changed my front tyres, 20", without incident.

Can you try a different charge point or the granny cable maybe? Have a Zappi also and have only seen "Mains power too low, unable to charge" on power cut, I have also seen "Charge delayed" when I schedule the car to charge at a specific time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Same error on the granny cable and Mrs.Milltown's 330e charges fine on the Zappi.

Booked into the dealer but earliest slot is over 3 weeks away, which is a nuisance. On the bright side, I am hearing that BMW have been approving goodwill on these modules on cars under 100,000 Km. Good news for me if true but not great for others if BMW realise there's an issue with these but stop standing over them after relatively little mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Just got 172 one of these, this thread is what made me go for it over the 520 actually.

Was wondering if anyone else is topping out at 5kwh when charging with the granny cable? Worried about battery degradation

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I get 7 kWh from the granny cable if left in to full charge

Thanks for that, not a good sign... Anybody with experience getting a new battery pack under the battery warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

What kms does it say you have available when charged; mine can say anything from 33 to 37kms?

Are you charging from 0kms as if not it may only need 5kWh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

I got 11kwh multiple times using granny cable when charging from empty. Are you charging when battery already has some charge? Contact BMW as the Hybrid battery has warranty for 6 or 8 years from an initial purchase date.

It says 20km on average, 22km at the most..

Seems like it's alot more that 20% degradation which is what they cover I believe

Yeah charging from empty and still getting 5kwh, mine is the 9kwh version

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone got a remap done on the 530e?

how much performance improvement do you get?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's also limited to 100kms regardless of age - So if the mileage is beyond that even on a 4 year old car , the warranty is no longer valid.

It would be the same as the remaps for the 520i I would assume as you'd only be changing the Petrol engine I think.

Don't think that there are any remaps for the Electric motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The remaps on the 30e cars gives serious results I believe.....brings them up to 350 or maybe near 400bhp and increased torque too..........Bob Flavin did a video on one of you search it on youtube. They remap very well if thats something you are interested in.

Lot of disbelief here that the owner of the car and the car were very visible and identifiable in the video because the insurance companies would not like that one little bit

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Saw the video - I'm assuming that the increase is all coming from re-mapping the Petrol engine and that they aren't doing anything with the electric motor though?

I know that Tesla etc. offer different power outputs from the same units based on the subscription/money you pay , so I guess it's possible to adjust the power outputs , but I've not heard of anyone offering any aftermarket EV performance upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I am not sure of the engineering involved but the website of Celtic tuning in the UK shows a stage 1 remap adding 70 odd bhp to a 520i from 180 to 250 and a 150bhp increase on a 530e from 250 to 400bhp

So at first glance it would appear there are additional gains from having the electric motor but again, unsure how it works in practice.

Yeah.

As it stands on the 252BHP 530e model there's already something a bit odd as the Electric motor is rated at 109BHP and the Petrol is 180BHP , but the combined total is 252 and not the ~290 that the basic maths would suggest it should be.

On the more recent models post 202 registrations the combined is now 292BHP which is more aligned to the simple Electric + Petrol total so perhaps there are some software tweaks to allow the full power of the Electric motor to be used when the combustion engine is also engaged.

The 530e offers 252 in Comfort mode, 280ish in sport and other modes such as battery control mode, saw it on a YT vid, can be confirmed by putting on the sports display. Not sure if it’s only for 10sec or something like the 330e

• Advertisement

That "Xtraboost" feature is only in the more recent face-lift model that launched in late 2020 - It's not there in the 2017 to early 2020 versions

The early models are max of 252 BHP , the newer ones have 292 in Sport mode with the boost feature.

My car is a 192 and the car in the YouTube vid was older, both show 280 in sports mode, etc. Both unmodified.

Really?

I have a 192 as well , I haven't seen the readings show more than ~250.

Must find a quiet spot and try again :-)

Won't let me post links, search YouTube for "530e power", for me with that search its the first video in the list, its by Romas LTU, blue 2018 530e is the cover photo. I confirmed the 280 in sport mode in my 192.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Almost 10 months now with our 530e and we really love it, such a great car.

One really annoying, non EV, quirk though. It's a feckin' divil for picking up gravel in the wheel plate, creates an awful racket that sounds like something is seriously wrong.

Assumed it was a one off fault with the car, but the dealership said no, it just... happens, it's really common with them and to bring it any time there's a fresh piece caught. Lo and behold, there are tons of youtube how-to's on getting rid of the stones.

Off topic, I guess, but just, it's mad to think of such a high end car with such a simple design flaw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It outputs 252bhp.

From that video, it only shows 280bhp when forced into "battery charge" mode. So the extra 28hp is going to charge the battery. That's why he got 280bhp with a dead battery, the opposite of what one would expect really. That's not 100% accurate in fairness either - you can't both charge & discharge a battery at the same time, but the gist is there - 252bhp useable output with extra going back to the battery.

It clearly shows there's extra power available all the time, it's just not released by BMW.

The video does imply that in fairness and what you say makes sense when using battery control mode but my understanding is that the motor is also the generator, so when no electric power is being deployed, the motor can generate electricity while coasting and/or battery control mode. The video shows the hp being deployed (both engine and electric motor being used) there is no generation happening at this point because the electric motor is also pushing the car forward.

I must test it again but iirc I tested in sports mode, auto edrive, plenty of battery charge and the display showed 280hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yes, the MGU can't both generate & propel at the same time, in the same way the battery can't both recharge & discharge simultaneously.

BUT, the petrol engine can produce that extra 28bhp! So the combustion engine could be producing extra power to maintain the 252 output, while sending extra back through the hybrid system to "charge" the battery.

I'll have a look at mine later, but nothing really makes sense. You'd need a dyno to detect if there was an actual power output difference.

The software certainly limits power from the combustion side as you can feel the power output noticeably increase as speed builds & it hits into the higher gears.

It can go faster than BMW claim too!

😀

Yeah, I can't disagree with anything you have said, just trying to make sense of it myself. Just teasing it out, the extra 28hp scenario makes sense for battery control mode. On full acceleration though surely the extra 28hp is going to the wheels, as you say a dyno would be the only way to tell, Sport mode should sharpen the throttle response which may feel like there is more power.

I tried mine again to make sure I wasn't imagining it the first time. Battery was full, drove about 3km to warm the engine and get to location, gearbox - sport mode, Drive mode - Sport and auto edrive, from about 40km/h, first attempt 252hp, second time I pushed through that last inch or so on the accelerator and 280hp. I didn't dare keep it planted for 10sec though.

Have seen north of 235km/h myself, just the once and up hill! Private track of course 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Has anyone had a Drivetrain Malfunction error on one of these? I got one yesterday and Joe Duffy have no appointments until Monday week. Says it is OK to drive but I don't want to risk it. Googling this it could be anything.

Also possibly related, I have a charge error (on the iDrive) and no light on my wallbox (standard one installed by ESB). Should there be a light when this is not in use (I can't remember)?

Advertisement