Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SANZAAR touring team

Options
  • 05-08-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Considering the success of the lions tours and large interest in it, would there be an interest in a SANZAAR team made up of the best players from each country coming to the Lions nations of Ireland, wales, Scotland or England every 4 years? I’d personally love to see a SANZAAR team come on a tour in Ireland and play 3 tests against us as well as a game against Leinster, ulster, Munster and Connaught. Has the idea ever been seriously considered or is there too much scheduling problems and politics involved?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

No real point. The only value in the lions is its history.

Without the history to boost interest the lions would be considered a disruptive waste that damages rugby and is senseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see why NZ would agree to this. Their own brand is massive and I can't see them creating a level 'above' being an All Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Let's face it, if we starting rugby from scratch we wouldn't have the Lions. The Lions have history, that's why hey still exist in the professional era. A manufactured southern hemisphere side wouldn't have that.

To be honest I think the Lions are probably on borrowed time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Would have loved if we had ever made the PIs into a commercial revenue generating monster for those teams.

Advertisement