Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

SANZAAR touring team

• 05-08-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Thrashssacre

Considering the success of the lions tours and large interest in it, would there be an interest in a SANZAAR team made up of the best players from each country coming to the Lions nations of Ireland, wales, Scotland or England every 4 years? I’d personally love to see a SANZAAR team come on a tour in Ireland and play 3 tests against us as well as a game against Leinster, ulster, Munster and Connaught. Has the idea ever been seriously considered or is there too much scheduling problems and politics involved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭ CIARAN_BOYLE

No real point. The only value in the lions is its history.

Without the history to boost interest the lions would be considered a disruptive waste that damages rugby and is senseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭ thomond2006

I don't see why NZ would agree to this. Their own brand is massive and I can't see them creating a level 'above' being an All Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,218 ✭✭✭✭ bilston

Let's face it, if we starting rugby from scratch we wouldn't have the Lions. The Lions have history, that's why hey still exist in the professional era. A manufactured southern hemisphere side wouldn't have that.

To be honest I think the Lions are probably on borrowed time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭ errlloyd

Would have loved if we had ever made the PIs into a commercial revenue generating monster for those teams.

Advertisement