Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's discuss salads.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is it red or green cabbage you use lads?
    Never thought of using cabbage in that way before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would use white or red. Those tightly packed heads. If nothing else they are easier to slice thinn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

In the summer I like a Greek Salad.

You need

A cucumber
    Tomatoes
    Olives
    Onion
    Pinenuts
    Olive oil
    Lettuce
    Peppers ( optional )
    Gerkins (optional)
    Feta Chees ( goats chees works fine also )
    An optional meat or other protein like eggs or nuts, avocado or even tofu if your feeling cwazy.

Dice cucumber and tomato into similar sizes, roughly the same size as the olives. Quarter the olives, as many as you can take. Chop onion fairly liberally, you can dice thinly or fat it depends what you like. Add salt and pepper and toss. Add olive oil and toss. Add lettuce and toss. finally the cheese and toss and sprinkle with pinenuts. If you can't get pine nuts crushed sesame seeds are a fine alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

igCorcaigh wrote:
    I've never seen mizuna for sale.

I've never seen it on its own, it tends to come in mixed bags. I must look out for seeds, actually, I'd say it grows like a weed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    In the summer I like a Greek Salad.

You need

A cucumber
    Tomatoes
    Olives
    Onion
    Pinenuts
    Olive oil
    Lettuce
    Peppers ( optional )
    Gerkins (optional)
    Feta Chees ( goats chees works fine also )
    An optional meat or other protein like eggs or nuts, avocado or even tofu if your feeling cwazy.

Dice cucumber and tomato into similar sizes, roughly the same size as the olives. Quarter the olives, as many as you can take. Chop onion fairly liberally, you can dice thinly or fat it depends what you like. Add salt and pepper and toss. Add olive oil and toss. Add lettuce and toss. finally the cheese and toss and sprinkle with pinenuts. If you can't get pine nuts crushed sesame seeds are a fine alternative.

Toasted pine nuts are the job.
    Tastes almost like sausage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I eat salads at least 3/4 times a week for dinner. Usually made up of-

Lettuce is normally 1/3 an iceberg & half a bag of other mixed leaves, baby leaves or italian style bag is good.
    Grated carrot.
    Picked red cabbage (jars in Lidl are my go to)
    1 or 2 tomatoes, maybe some seeds removed to extract the excess water.
    1/2 a red onion or 3/4 scallions.

Then the optional extras are sweetcorn/chopped nuts/cheese/roasted peppers/olives/grated courgette with water squeezed out/crispy onions.

All chopped very finely like....well.....Chopped :pac: And mixed in one large bowl with any one of a number of dressings.
    Plain honey mustard- Teaspoon of fine wholegrain mustard, tablespoon of honey, dollop of rapeseed oil.
    Spicy sriracha- Dollop of oil, sriracha, few grinds of that amazing BBQ Supreme grinder in Aldi.
    Asian- Toasted sesame oil, some Angry lady chili in oil, light mayo.

Protein can be anything from those tins of flavoured fish in Aldi to roasted salmon or rare steak. Sliced chicken breast or the frozen thigh burgers from Aldi.

To me a salad is anything using lettuce/tomato/onion as a base & go with what's in the fridge after that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

B0jangles wrote: »
    I wonder if this is another version of the famous coriander leaf gene thing, you know, where to some people it tastes nice and citrusy and to others it tastes like soap? Oddly it used to taste really bad to me, then I ended up eating it quite a lot in various indian things and now it tastes pretty nice, but still not citrusy, just distinctive.

That did cross my mind! :) I think cucumber is another. My father hates the taste of them whereas others say they are just refreshing and don’t taste of much. Those genetic things are fascinating. To stray from food for a sec, I have the photic sneezing reflex. Very bright sunlight can set me off or if I’m trying to sneeze and it’s not happening, I just look at a bright light or preferably in the general area of the sun in the sky. It always works. My whole family is the same. I thought everyone had this but apparently it’s only about 25% of people and it’s genetic.

P.S. I LOVE coriander.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

meeeeh wrote: »
    White cabbage is great as a salad for me. .

White cabbage works for me even by itself. On one occasion there was a bowl of coarsely-chopped raw white cabbage on our kitchen counter. I can't remember what the rest of it had been used for but I do remember that I couldn't pass it without taking a couple of pieces to munch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Im too lazy to make saladsbut those Supervalue Salads are really tasty and two will do two days so they only end up costing 2.50 a day -snd they are VERY tasty and filing. Just had them with chicken and yesterday with salmon & feeli g healthy, potato free and virtuous.

One is the brocoli,sugar snap pea, peanut,quinoa and something else (maybe feta) salad.
    The other is the grated carrot, pumpkin and other seeds in a dressing salad.
    Their beetroot, with various knicknack bits salad is also delicious.

You'd never bother buying or mixing up all the i gredients but when seeved up (tipped out) on a plate with a burger or chicken or fish they are a whole fancy meal. Delic. Makes you feel quite on holiday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Does nobody put slices of hard boiled egg in their salads anymore?

Nope, it's all about wedges of hard boiled eggs these days. Gotta move with the times!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Dial Hard wrote: »
    See, to me that's not a salad, it's a cold lunch. Unless the main component is leaves, it's not a salad in my book. Personal opinion, obvs.

I follow an American recipe site on Facebook and you'd want to see some of the stuff they call salad!

Interesting - I think personally, I consider a salad something that has a cold, acidic dressing on it. If it doesn't have a dressing, it's not a salad. If all it has is mayonnaise - not a salad. It needs to have either vinegar of some kind, or lemon or lime juice.
    After that, it could be anything. Could be a mixed bean salad, could be a Caprese, could be shredded carrots, I wouldn't mind, it would be a salad to me.

Coleslaw and the Irish version of potato salad or egg salad confuse the life out of me, I have to say.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad.

Contains lettuce, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, red onion, mango and pineapple.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    See, to me that's not a salad, it's a cold lunch. Unless the main component is leaves, it's not a salad in my book. Personal opinion, obvs.

I follow an American recipe site on Facebook and you'd want to see some of the stuff they call salad!

The best salad I ever had was the simplest. The main meal was with medium-rare roast beef and (real) French fries, and in the centre of the table a big bowl of lettuce tossed in vinaigrette. I was 18 and a confirmed lettuce-dodger except when I had salad cream available to mask the taste, but one try of this and I was converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

storker wrote: »
    The best salad I ever had was the simplest. The main meal was with medium-rare roast beef and (real) French fries, and in the centre of the table a big bowl of lettuce tossed in vinaigrette. I was 18 and a confirmed lettuce-dodger except when I had salad cream available to mask the taste, but one try of this and I was converted.

Yup, I love a salad of just dressed leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wife and kids headed off and left me all alone for a few days, so was dining alone last night.

Made a salad of mixed leaves with scallions and tomatoes and radish, and finely sliced peppers..

Sprinkle with corriander, and nothing over the top but freshly squeezed lime juice and some salt and pepper.

Peri peri chicken as the main, and a side of black beans with finely diced onion and garlic.

IMG-20190813-184533.jpg

I'm becoming a really, really big fan of black beans, had the remainder of them this morning with my scrambled eggs, really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Whenever I have salad it's all about the lettuce. If I buy a bag of those mixed leaves things I'll either eat it all in one go if that's all I'm having or as a starter I'll use half the bag. I'd 'flavor' the lettuce with bits I have in the fridge usually olives, cheese (elemental/feta) and sliced onion whether shallots or red. But just a small total amount of those bits. Dressing is usually balsamic (preferably) or white vinegar, a light olive oil sometimes a teaspoon of mayo. Not to the point you could see it in the mix. The idea is that it's light and flavorsome. And healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I love Couscous Salad

100g couscous
    200ml hot low salt vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
    2 spring onions
    1 red pepper (Long Sweet Red peppers)
    ½ cucumber
    50g feta cheese, cubed
    2 tbsp pesto
    2 tbsp toasted pine nuts

Tip the couscous into a large bowl and pour over the stock. Cover, then leave for 10 mins until fluffy and all the stock has been absorbed. Meanwhile, slice the onions and pepper, and dice the cucumber. Add these to the couscous, fork through the pesto, crumble in the feta, then sprinkle over pine nuts to serve.

Advertisement