Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Transport/ taxi Monivea to city

• 03-08-2019 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ Jenson86

Hi all,

Recently moved to Monivea (well 15 minutes outside it on Ballinasloe side) so about 35 minutes from the city.

I want to go out in the city the odd weekend but not sure if taxi’s will go this far?

I haven’t risked trying to get one after the pubs close just yet in case I get stuck in the City with no way home.

Can anyone recommend a driver in the area that might bring 2 of us in and collect us after the pubs/clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ aw

Pro Cabs in Eyre Square do rural runs. Have used them a few times after a night out from their office. On their website is a list of fixed price rates - €38 to Monivea.

Have never gotten a cab in. Another option for you might be to drive to Athenry, leave the car there and get the train (or bus). Pick up the car in the morning then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ Jenson86

Great thank you. That’s a good idea. My main concern is that I wouldn’t be able to get a cab out and I’d be stuck. They have a couple of offices is town?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ aw

I think it is just the one office beside McGettigans in the square.

Oran Cabs in Oranmore also do country runs so would be a good shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭ DaCor

Park in Athenry, at the arch. get the evening bus in and the late night bus out

Buslink.ie for the timetable and fares

Thank you, is there a taxi rank/ office in Athenry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,883 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble

aw wrote: »
    I think it is just the one office beside McGettigans in the square.

Procabs now have the office in William Street west where Claddagh cabs used to be, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭ DaCor

Jenson86 wrote: »
    Thank you, is there a taxi rank/ office in Athenry?

No.

If you want to have a drink, then a cab home is your only option as you won't get a cab to pick you up late at night in Athenry

Have you considered a B&B or an airbnb?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ Ashleigh1986

The best advise I can give to someone that needs a taxi / Hackney home late at night from galway city to out the country is to get someone they can work with on a repeat business .
    For example galway to monivea would be €40 for 1 to 4 people .
    Minibus is generally half of that on top = €60.
    What a driver wants from a client is to be ready at all times when they pick you up.
    A driver will soon stop doing business with you if he is constantly waiting for you.
    You wouldn't beleive the amount of people who decide to get a takeaway as you pull up .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx

Jenson86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently moved to Monivea (well 15 minutes outside it on Ballinasloe side) so about 35 minutes from the city.

I want to go out in the city the odd weekend but not sure if taxi’s will go this far?

I haven’t risked trying to get one after the pubs close just yet in case I get stuck in the City with no way home.

Can anyone recommend a driver in the area that might bring 2 of us in and collect us after the pubs/clubs?

Monivea itself is thirty five minutes from Galway, you must be nearly an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ Ashleigh1986

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Monivea itself is thirty five minutes from Galway, you must be nearly an hour

Monivea is €40 from eyre square .
    If your 15 mins from monivea that's a different change .
    This is the problem drivers have of giving " fixed rates " .
    Best to get a taxi / Hackney one night from galway .
    If your happy with the price/ and with the driver ask him for his card and get him to do a fixed price , now that ye both know where the drop off is going to be.
    I used to hate passengers getting in and asking
    " how much is it to Barna etc "
    You give them a price .... Next thing Barna has turned into spiddeal .
    That's when the arguments start .

• Advertisement

Takes me 40 minutes with traffic to get to the city. Of course throw in rush hour at Briarhill and that becomes an hour.

Advertisement