Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon radar down again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Yep it seems to go down when needed the most.

Yes you are right, it always seems to do this before major storms. My location in West Kerry is totally blind now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Genuinely pathetic at this point. The UK met must dispair the coverage of the western approach is so unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Third world weather service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well that's ridiculous. Plenty of parts of West cork were relying on that radar tonight especially after the recent flooding.from cork city to Kerry all totally blind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Nothing on their page even to say there is a problem and we are looking into it. Taking the p*ss now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A pretty important piece of national infrastructure should not be breaking down like this on a regular basis. Disgraceful to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

They should just smash the thing to bits. It doesnt work. Look at sat24 infrared. Most bright white is rain.

Theres no proper radar so yall have to use that. I guess we will know it's raining when we use the reliable radar...the window. I hope that radar hasnt cost Met Eireann too much money as they must be fixing it more often than I put batteries in my weather station. Maybe that's what Met Eireann should put batteries in it and it will work. We will be seeing images on news of windy.tv and satellite because we dont have a radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I have just sent an email to my TD (Michael Healy Rae) moaning about the Radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's malfunctioning always seems to coincide with major weather events. It's extremely frustrating that it's so unreliable. Have also emailed my local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The worst thing is they don’t even put up a message that it’s down.

• Advertisement

Must have heard us
    19th August: The Shannon Rainfall Radar experienced a technical fault overnight and is currently not operational, hence the lack of rainfall images from South-West Ireland. The fault is being investigated and further updates will follow. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Nothing will be done as the tender is out for a replacement radar

Its affecting more than the South West, P*ssing down in waterford and not showing up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

19th August: The Shannon Rainfall Radar experienced a technical fault overnight and is currently not operational, hence the lack of rainfall images from South-West Ireland. The fault is being investigated and further updates will follow. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Darragh O’Brien is the Minister responsible for Met Eireann. There's not too much point in complaining to him as he's much too busy solving the housing/homelessness problem.

This is approximately what the radar looks like now

Though rain a little further South as it's not raining here in Sligo yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Has the airport got it's own weather radar?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Has the airport got it's own weather radar?

No, the rain radar at Shannon is Met Office equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A pretty important piece of national infrastructure should not be breaking down like this on a regular basis. Disgraceful to be honest.

Infrastructure in general is treated as an afterthought in this country (see roads, public transport, water, energy etc). We've chronically underinvested for the entire history of the state so it's no surprise to see things like this happen

There's currently a tender out for an upgrade though considering it's a public service body I wouldn't hold out any hope it'll keep to schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Shannon radar is a lost cause. Same story over the last 10/15 years. 'Technical fault'. 'Future improvements'. 'Tenders'. All gets a bit yawn inducing after a while.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Yeah infrastructure in Ireland is a joke. It took 35 years to build the dual carriageway into Sligo and 25 years to pave O Connell Street

Best estimate Shannon will be fixed in 2050

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It's back working again.

For how long?

The rain looks heavy on approach

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Shannon out at 14.40

Rain storm incoming? Radar down :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Seems to be back again.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Seems to be back again.

lets cross our fingers it stays

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

More duct tape needed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Certainly earning it's keep tonight!

WEB_radar5_202008242145.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks like a paintball splat (or an early Jackson Pollack)

Advertisement