Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heathrow - is there passport check for Aer Lingus fliers coming from Dublin?

Options
  • 01-08-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

i m travelling to Heathrow via aer Lingus and want to check if there is any passport check for passengers coming from Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Was the last time I went thru about 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

should really ask either Aer Lingus or Heathrow Airport this question...

or you could google it yourself and get the answer within seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

crashplan wrote: »

thanks for the quick reply. so it means valid passport is needed for flying to Heathrow T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hello2020 wrote: »
    thanks for the quick reply. so it means valid passport is needed for flying to Heathrow T2.

Depends (in Theory) on your nationality.

There is a "Common Travel Area" between Ireland and the UK, but it only applies to Irish and British Citizens, but the airports (Dublin and London) allow passengers from Ireland/UK and other places mix prior to passport control, so the CTA is not really relevant anymore, in theory you can go to passport control with your Dublin Boarding card, and proof that you are an Irish or British Citizen and you will not need a passport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sometimes - not always

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

in theory you can go to passport control with your Dublin Boarding card, and proof that you are an Irish or British Citizen and you will not need a passport.

No real proof of citizenship without a passport, a birth cert could be anybody's and there is no birthright citizenship in Ireland since 2004.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Generally not, but you may be asked for ID when leaving the plane. Best to bring a passport just in case.

Coming back into Ireland you will definitely need to show ID though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Do Aer Lingus not require you to show a passport alongside your boarding pass at the gates in the same way Ryanair do on UK flights? It's been years since I've flown with Aer Lingus to the UK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Do Aer Lingus not require you to show a passport alongside your boarding pass at the gates in the same way Ryanair do on UK flights? It's been years since I've flown with Aer Lingus to the UK
    Photo ID. Not specifically a passport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Heathrow seems to routinely go through phases of checking ID on Aer Lingus flights and then not checking them for a while. They've accepted my driver's licence before but they sometimes insist on passport. Probably best to have it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

crashplan wrote: »

There should only be random spot checks as CTArrivsls at Heathrow land behind passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Border Force and the local coppers do random and intelligence-driven spot checks of all CTA inbound flights to all UK airports to ensure that the CTA and segregated entry channels are not abused. This is an brilliant, excellent and wonderful system, worthy of copying, and speeds passage through the UK airports tremendously.

However, it is still the CTA and so you should carry some form of ID to avoid a difficult conversation , not necessarily a passport if you are a CTA citizen. The carrying airline ( EI or BA to LHR) should enforce a minimum standard like a driving license but I am not sure it is legally required to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Slightly related to this topic, if they leave the EU without a deal would it be possible/likely/wise for the CTA to end and Ireland to join the Schengen area?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

.G. wrote: »
    Slightly related to this topic, if they leave the EU without a deal would it be possible/likely/wise for the CTA to end and Ireland to join the Schengen area?

Have you seen what a land border between a Schengen and non-Schengen country looks like?

Life ain't always empty.

Have you seen what a land border between a Schengen and non-Schengen country looks like?

I haven't, would assume it looks much the same as a hard border in the North would look like though and that may be unavoidable.

Unless United Ireland comes about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

.G. wrote: »

Well I think no ones knows what's going to happen in a no deal Brexit situation it's the million dollar question

Brexit discussion aside, if its hard brexit and we end up with a hard border or United Ireland does it make any sense to remain out of schengen and in the CTA?

Advertisement