Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel won't serve home-made cake.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

jlm29 wrote: »
    I would put money that they would never say “I have an upset tummy today, maybe it’s because Agnes who made the cake never washed her hands after wiping her bum”.

That had me howling! 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think this is a shame. Having family and friends involved in a wedding is part of the personalisation and fun of it. I remember my granny and my mum did some flowers for example.

Sure, this way everyone gets cake though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

How many cases of wedding cake poisoning have there been or have you ever heard of the whole world is definetly going mad id be trying to get a different hotel not a commercial bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

bizidea wrote: »
    How many cases of wedding cake poisoning have there been or have you ever heard of the whole world is definetly going mad id be trying to get a different hotel not a commercial bakery

Very difficult to say, hotels get sued with people claiming the food made them sick, they cannot specify which food specifically so the hotel is liable for any food served on its premises that it provides.

As far as wedding guests are concerned the hotel served the food and to a solicitor that’s all that matters, so the hotel are trying to protect themselves by ensuring that the supply chain allows them to push the blame to someone who can take them blame.

I’m guessing you haven’t organised a wedding at a hotel at any stage in your life, to suggest that you would try to get a different hotel is laughable.... hotels are often booked 12-18months in advance, a lot of research can go into which hotel/venue to choose for your wedding reception, A lot of research/planning is required to organise a wedding, and it’s only in the last weeks/days that things can be organised and confirmed, it is an incredibly stressful thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Very difficult to say, hotels get sued with people claiming the food made them sick, they cannot specify which food specifically so the hotel is liable for any food served on its premises that it provides.

As far as wedding guests are concerned the hotel served the food and to a solicitor that’s all that matters, so the hotel are trying to protect themselves by ensuring that the supply chain allows them to push the blame to someone who can take them blame.

I’m guessing you haven’t organised a wedding at a hotel at any stage in your life, to suggest that you would try to get a different hotel is laughable.... hotels are often booked 12-18months in advance, a lot of research can go into which hotel/venue to choose for your wedding reception, A lot of research/planning is required to organise a wedding, and it’s only in the last weeks/days that things can be organised and confirmed, it is an incredibly stressful thing to do.

Would everthing not be nearly done already all you have to do is find a different venue and move it what would be stressful about organising a wedding its just a big party with family and friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would everthing not be nearly done already all you have to do is find a different venue and move it what would be stressful about organising a wedding its just a big party with family and friends

It would be a awful lot easier to have a cake baked in a bakery than move a whole wedding venue .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I think you’ve accidentally introduced problems by the claims of gluten free, egg free, nut free and so on. That’s a huge issue in the food services sector, as you have to be able to evidentially back it up and there are serious consequences to the hotel if anything goes wrong. There’s a whole load of regulatory issues around ensuring those items are allergen free, to the point they can’t even be baked or in contact with stuff that may have contained the allergens and you’ve issues around things like ensuring supply chain is actually reliable etc etc

Even layering the cake would be a cross contamination issue straight away.

Had it just been a plain wedding cake without any of those claims, probably wouldn’t have been a major issue.

I’m not trying to be a party pooper or critical but it’s just that there’s a hell of a lot of food safety focus these days and also huge liability coming from risk of lawsuit if you get it wrong. It’s also not all coming from the EU either, a lot of it the way we deal with food allergens domestically and the consequences of getting it wrong can be financially huge here.

So your hotel is likely just protecting itself.

Perhaps discuss dropping the free from claims and you might get a different response.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Is it layers or tiers you mean?

If it's layers then there's no way that you'd avoid cross-contamination of allergens so the hotel was right to make sure you don't serve it. Tiers are different though. They are still a risk if the baker doesn't know much about preventing cross-contamination though. But if you had different cakes, made, decorated, stored and displayed separately then maybe you'd be safe enough.

Even then though at a big wedding it would be hard to ensure that when sliced and passed around that the right type of cake ends up with the person who has that allergy and not accidentally swapped for another slice that contains the ingredient that could harm them. Especially if they are all iced to match each other.

I think a bakery cake is your only option now the hotel know that was the original plan they will be making sure that the cake coming in comes from a professional kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

They’ve obviously paid a deposit. They can hardly just forsake that because their nose is out of joint, even if they could find somewhere else at this stage.

Maybe it’s been the home made weddings cakes at a number of weddings I’ve been to that had be feeling like boiled sh1te the next day and not the 16 pints of stout and rake of jager bombs :D

It’s total nonsense, if I was you op I’d just tell them you have arranged a baker to do it and send down a family member pretending to be one to set it up. Sure a lot of wedding cake makers are just people doing them at home in their own kitchen, it was certainly the case when we were looking at wedding cake makers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement