Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to a boarding school teacher

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

How do you deal with sick kids at what point would they have to be sent home to be cared for or would the staff mind them in the school in most cases ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm a bit late to the party here but if you are still answering questions is there a zero tolerance for those who don't share the religious ethos of the school?

Can you opt out of the religious aspects if they aren't for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

1. Do you feel these children grow up in a bit of a bubble away from the real world?

2. What are these children's life aspirations in general? Do most want to go to university etc?

3. Is there much social or ethnic diversity in your school?

4. What are the general views of your children towards diversity?

5. What is your school's policy on homosexuality?

6. Is there bullying?

7. What are the instances of mental illness and depression etc?

8. Are the children happy?

9. Do they feel their lives are overly regimented? Their time governed etc from minute to minute? Do they have time where they are free or totally unsupervised?

• Company Representative Posts: 29 Verified rep I'm a boarding school teacher, AMA

So, I sort of forgot about this thread for a little bit...sorry about that!

I will post up answers to the last few posters later today.

• Company Representative Posts: 29 Verified rep I'm a boarding school teacher, AMA

lassykk wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to the party here but if you are still answering questions is there a zero tolerance for those who don't share the religious ethos of the school?

Can you opt out of the religious aspects if they aren't for you?

Generally, all students would be expected to attend religious services, regardless of their own religious background. It is sold mostly as an opportunity to gather as a community and reflect on things.

rosiem wrote: »
    How do you deal with sick kids at what point would they have to be sent home to be cared for or would the staff mind them in the school in most cases ?

Every boarding house will have staff that are trained in first aid, and trained in providing prescription medicine.

There is also a health centre on the school site that has trained nurses and doctors available. The school staff will follow the lead of the health centre in all cases, and there are beds available for students if needed.

1. Do you feel these children grow up in a bit of a bubble away from the real world?

Yes, for lots of reasons, some of which will not be a result of school. Not regularly engaging with the wider range of society that they might do if in a state school will certainly blinker some things.
    2. What are these children's life aspirations in general? Do most want to go to university etc?

Vast majority will want to go on to university and then work in law, medicine, engineering, finance etc.

Some will look to join the armed forces.
    3. Is there much social or ethnic diversity in your school?

There is a decent ethic diversity as there are overseas students from all around the world. In terms of social diversity, it will be from "middle class" and upwards.
    4. What are the general views of your children towards diversity?

Narrow :o
    5. What is your school's policy on homosexuality?

As with all schools, and as should be in the wider community, there are no issues with homosexuality.

There will of course be homophobic bullying at times.

Sexual relationships between students are not allowed.
    6. Is there bullying?

Yes, as with all schools and people. Unfortunately.
    7. What are the instances of mental illness and depression etc?

Similar to other schools and society in general.
    8. Are the children happy?

For the most part yes, but there are some that may not enjoy boarding school, being bullied etc.
    9. Do they feel their lives are overly regimented? Their time governed etc from minute to minute? Do they have time where they are free or totally unsupervised?

On average, they will enjoy up to three or four hours a day of free time, as well as times at the weekend. They have lots of time to entertain themselves, as well as events organised by the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

You say homophobic bullying and other bullying happens.
    How can a school that is charging tens of thousands allow that to happen?
    Is it harder to expell the bullies because they are paying tens of thousands per term?

bono_v wrote: »
    You say homophobic bullying and other bullying happens.
    How can a school that is charging tens of thousands allow that to happen?
    Is it harder to expell the bullies because they are paying tens of thousands per term?

How can society as a whole let that happen? I am not trying to be flippant, but bullying happens in all aspects of society, workplaces and schools. Unfortunately, having money does not eliminate this behaviour, particularly when dealing with young people.

There are structures and supports in place to intervene for when these situations arise, and a log of all incidents is made. The school takes a very strong stance on these issues, and when dealt with, it has been rare that I have seen or heard of a repeat (not saying it does not happen).

I would argue that it may be easier to ask a student to leave if they have been the instigator in a number of bullying issues, particularly if the school is oversubscribed. Expulsion would be reserved for extreme incidents, but there are a range of sanctions that can be imposed, including suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Thanks for being so open :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for all of the contributions here folks, it's been an interesting look into life in boarding school. I don't know about the rest of you btu i didn't know anyone who went to boarding school when I was growing up - it was all a mystery to me so this has been eye-opening.

Thanks so much to the OP as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement