Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Eabha19

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Best of luck on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck on Sunday Y! You've shown great dedication and really nailed the training. Have a great race and enjoy it! Hopefully see you in McGrattans after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck Sunday. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

You did a really good job of taking advice on board and have trained really well for tomorrow. I hope you have a fantastic run. Enjoy every minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Link to my race report from the Novice Mentor Thread - fair warning, it's a bit of a novel, but I think for me it will be great to have this here so that I can re-read and remember the day I became a marathon runner!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111623327&postcount=3910

As to what's next I'm going to do the Trim 10 mile end January. My running crew are talking about Waterford Half in late November/early December - I'm not sure that my body will be ready by then so I'm thinking about the 12ks of Christmas instead in Kildare. As for the body I'm exhausted but that's mostly because I had two bad nights of sleep before the marathon, epecially the Friday night, am smothered with a cold and was out til 1:30 last night with the crew and back up awake coughing before 6 a.m. this morning. Was hanging on in there til I hit my wall a day late at 4 p.m. and had an hour's nap. Still coughing but feel a little more human now! Now when am I allowed out for a nice easy run again?

Just read your report. Delighted you’d such a good day out and lovely to meet you in McGrattans.

Had my first real easy job last night. 4.7 kms with my dog and a couple of club mates. Felt fine but think my right glute is just a little tender so gonna keep it easy and try to throw in some glute stretches along with my normal calf stretches this week. P.S. My physiotherapist ran the marathon in 2hrs 16 mins finishing 11th - I'm so in awe of him now, I may have to shave my legs now before my next appointment!:D

I was undecided about keeping up the logging post DCM - last week was hectic at home and I was thinking why would I add any other requirements to my mental life. However feeling slightly different about it this week - when everything gets stressful at home for at work running is still my steady one foot in front of the other friend. Maybe continuing logging will help me keep some structure on my running life even if the rest can seem chaotic.

Post DCM I actually felt great. When I got home from Mcgrattans I had a chinese and a long wonderful shower. (The hubby told me there was some bang off me when he collected me from the train - apologies to anyone I hugged. Did I hug anyone, I have zero recollection- I think I was slightly in shock!) Then I joined my clubmates in a local pub and at 1 a.m. I was talking about going dancing!! Thankfully I headed home instead to finish my curry from earlier and get to bed at 2 a.m.

I was amazed to find that I had no DOMS post marathon and other than general tiredness, a tender right glute and a few new black toe nails all was good. On Wednesday night I tested the legs with a 4.7k run with my dog, Maggie, and a clubmate. Then Sunday night my 'run husband', Maggie and I did about 6k very easy whilst chatting all things marathon. Some of my clubmates had a very tough second half of the marathon - I'm pretty sure thst the advice I got on the mentor thread on top of a good dollop of good luck was what got me thru it without any blow ups and with my small negative split (so proud of that!!)

So what's next? I'm not doing a marathon next year as I've promised the hubby not to (publicly on Facebook!!) but would love to work on my 5k and 10k times. I pbed both in 2018 at 24:33 and 53:08 and have felt since that I couldn't beat those times at all. I've booked the jingle bells 5k for 7 Dec but it might be a bit soon after DCM for pbs. Then I've booked Trim 10 miles for Feb 2020 which is a race I love because of the tea and cake afterwards! Hoping to meet some of the 2019 graduates at both races (the running ****) and I'm bringing the flap jacks to the park for the jingle bells. Any advice on 5k plans and 10 mile plans welcome. The club has given us a plan for the next few weeks which I started last night but there's no space for my new easy gear which I'd hate to drop - loved those easy runs.

P.S. is there a way to change the name of the thread?

• Advertisement

The Grads thread will start soon and the grads plans are brilliant. They cover all distances from 5km to marathon so you’ll be able to choose. I did them last year and PB’d at all distances from 5km to half with them and loads of easy running you’ll be glad to hear.

I think you can email the moderators to change your thread name.

Glad to hear you are keeping up the thread ;)

We did hug goodbye but in fairness we were both as stinky as each other so who cares! ;)

Oh yummy flapjacks! See you there so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

eabha19 wrote: »
    the running ****

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I was undecided about keeping up the logging post DCM - last week was hectic at home and I was thinking why would I add any other requirements to my mental life. However feeling slightly different about it this week - when everything gets stressful at home for at work running is still my steady one foot in front of the other friend. Maybe continuing logging will help me keep some structure on my running life even if the rest can seem chaotic.

Post DCM I actually felt great. When I got home from Mcgrattans I had a chinese and a long wonderful shower. (The hubby told me there was some bang off me when he collected me from the train - apologies to anyone I hugged. Did I hug anyone, I have zero recollection- I think I was slightly in shock!) Then I joined my clubmates in a local pub and at 1 a.m. I was talking about going dancing!! Thankfully I headed home instead to finish my curry from earlier and get to bed at 2 a.m.

I was amazed to find that I had no DOMS post marathon and other than general tiredness, a tender right glute and a few new black toe nails all was good. On Wednesday night I tested the legs with a 4.7k run with my dog, Maggie, and a clubmate. Then Sunday night my 'run husband', Maggie and I did about 6k very easy whilst chatting all things marathon. Some of my clubmates had a very tough second half of the marathon - I'm pretty sure thst the advice I got on the mentor thread on top of a good dollop of good luck was what got me thru it without any blow ups and with my small negative split (so proud of that!!)

So what's next? I'm not doing a marathon next year as I've promised the hubby not to (publicly on Facebook!!) but would love to work on my 5k and 10k times. I pbed both in 2018 at 24:33 and 53:08 and have felt since that I couldn't beat those times at all. I've booked the jingle bells 5k for 7 Dec but it might be a bit soon after DCM for pbs. Then I've booked Trim 10 miles for Feb 2020 which is a race I love because of the tea and cake afterwards! Hoping to meet some of the 2019 graduates at both races (the running ****) and I'm bringing the flap jacks to the park for the jingle bells. Any advice on 5k plans and 10 mile plans welcome. The club has given us a plan for the next few weeks which I started last night but there's no space for my new easy gear which I'd hate to drop - loved those easy runs.

P.S. is there a way to change the name of the thread?

See you at J Bells. I look forward to the flap jacks!

Do keep the log up - you don't have to log every week if it doesn't suit and it's a great resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Huzzah! wrote: »
    See you at J Bells. I look forward to the flap jacks!

I've signed up for jingle bells. Can one register their interest in flap jacks at this point of time?

I've signed up for jingle bells. Can one register their interest in flap jacks at this point of time?

I'll add you to the register!

I'll add you to the register!

Your flapjacks are famous at this stage :D
    Please also add me to the register ;)

Your flapjacks are famous at this stage :D
    Please also add me to the register ;)

Famously untested Lainey!! Full of butter and sugar so let there be no misapprehension that these are healthy runnery treats!!

Week 2 DCM recovery:
    Monday: Did a fartlek session at the club. Plan was 10 strides, 10 jogs, 20 strides, 20 jogs and so on up to 100 strides and then work your way back down. I really enjoyed the strides, have no idea what my pacing was like for them. I stopped on the climb down at 80 and ran 3k cool down. 6km or so and really enjoyable.
    Tuesday: 10k easy with the dog. Felt a bit tight in the achilles and had a sore toe by the end. I decided to rest up a couple of days after to make sure all was ok.
    Saturday: 10k with my running mates and my dog. The dog got tired at the end and had to be persuaded to keep going - the faster pace of my running mates wasn't to her liking!!

Starting the grads base building plan this week although mixing it a little with some club sessions.

Monday 11th November - Sunday 24th November
    Monday 11th - club session: 1k WU, 3x1k fast,1k slow,1k CD Ran the fast kms at a bit slower than 5k pace and found I couldn't do it any faster which doesn't bode well for my jingle bells 5k next week!
    Tuesday 12th - 45 mins easy
    Thursday - 60 mins progression run 2k WU, 2k at 6:15 ish pace, 2k at 5:45/50 pace, 2k at 5:30 pace and 500m CD - really enjoyed this
    No Saturday run as I was at a wedding overnight on the Friday
    Sunday - easy 7.5km

Monday 20th Nov - club session: fartlek, 11 kms in total
    Wednesday - club session: supposed to do intervals but we chickened out and ran an easy 9.5k instead
    Saturday - 16.7kms with clubmates; firsts 8k I stuck with clubmates pace which would be faster than my DCM training long runs, then we picked up my sister mid way so the two of us dropped back (she'd been out the night before and was feeling tender!) - did enjoy the easier pace
    Sunday - 5k easyish with clubmates

I had been planning on doing the grads base building plan but finding that 4 days a week is enough for me right now. Hopefully I'll find my missing mojo in January but getting out there 4 times a week seems plenty this side of Christmas.

• Advertisement

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3cICP-HrHp/

And look what I found on run logic's insta. I was in today getting tees printed for my coach clubs and he told me he'd shared the mentor's tees on insta in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I had been planning on doing the grads base building plan but finding that 4 days a week is enough for me right now. Hopefully I'll find my missing mojo in January but getting out there 4 times a week seems plenty this side of Christmas.

4 days a week is fine, especially at this time of year. - running has to fit into our lives without causing too much disruption, and not be a source of worry trying to squeeze in extra runs. All I'd say is keep a decent chunk of easy miles in there.

Must make a trip to run logic this side of Christmas myself :)

Advertisement