Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland lost its way despite an orgy of self congratulation since the recession e

Options
  • 27-07-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

Lot of self congratulation about what a progressive society we are, but has Ireland largely lost its way?
    Health service is disastrous. Two years ago a woman got knocked down by a bus at the Cliffs of Moher and waited over an hour on the road for an ambulance. Dozens of people on trolleys every day at the Regional Hospital in Limerick particularly.
    House prices are out of control. Just far too expensive. Homelessness has risen and those who can rent are broke from it. Only people who bought in the recession, or pre Celtic Tiger are okay.
    Schools bursting at the seams, many towns where parents can’t get a place, teenagers making long commutes.
    Garda corruption very serious, loads of instances in the last few years, Martin Callinan Was actually the commissioner at one point.
    Bit of a generalization, but rural Ireland is dying of depopulation while the cities are choking due to growing too quickly since the 90s.
    In summary this is not nearly as successful a society as some say, and governments have failed to introduce the required policies in health, education, policing and regional development.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

You do not appear to have a Sunny Disposition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Lot of self congratulation about what a progressive society we are, but has Ireland largely lost its way?
    Health service is disastrous. Two years ago a woman got knocked down by a bus at the Cliffs of Moher and waited over an hour on the road for an ambulance. Dozens of people on trolleys every day at the Regional Hospital in Limerick particularly.
    House prices are out of control. Just far too expensive. Homelessness has risen and those who can rent are broke from it. Only people who bought in the recession, or pre Celtic Tiger are okay.
    Schools bursting at the seams, many towns where parents can’t get a place, teenagers making long commutes.
    Garda corruption very serious, loads of instances in the last few years, Martin Callinan Was actually the commissioner at one point.
    Bit of a generalization, but rural Ireland is dying of depopulation while the cities are choking due to growing too quickly since the 90s.
    In summary this is not nearly as successful a society as some say, and governments have failed to introduce the required policies in health, education, policing and regional development.

Everyone thinks their country is the worst country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

lbc2019 wrote: »
    You do not appear to have a Sunny Disposition

Answer the question😅

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The thing is all those things you complain about people in every country in the world complain about the exact same things.

Better than the 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

They're two parallel and unrelated issues. You can be very self congratulatory about how Ireland has emerged from the darkages to become much more socially progressive AND STILL be extremely critical about health policies and problematic delivery of public services.

Everyone thinks their country is the worst country.

Far from the worst country, just not as good as some Irish people say.

The thing is all those things you complain about people in every country in the world complain about the exact same things.

I dunno, the Brits are very proud of the NHS for example.

Thats just their positive demeanour

• Advertisement

Also like pretty much every western country. We all have different perspectives and different blind spots.

I actually find Irish people tend to be harshly critical of the state most of the time. There's no real sense of deference to the status quo.

Some! Hardline Conservatives are not fans

As a concept, but they'll absolutely lambast it and the government where it's failing to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ireland and self congratulation OP?

Can hardly go any higher than the British and Brexit surely.

https://twitter.com/richardgaisford/status/1155029988791468032

HMS Gammon there heading for the iceberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I love these moronic posts like the OP.

“People who bought pre recession or during the tiger are ok”

No one else can get a house now.

Yeah like the 20,000 houses built last year and the 14,000 so far this year are what?

lola85 wrote: »
    I love these moronic posts like the OP.

“People who bought pre recession or during the tiger are ok”

No one else can get a house now.

Yeah like the 20,000 houses built last year and the 14,000 so far this year are what?

Not saying they can’t get a house, am saying they are very likely to pay an unreasonable high price for it. You’re the fcking moron around here bitch.

Not saying they can’t get a house, am saying they are very likely to pay an unreasonable high price for it. You’re the fcking moron around here bitch.

:)

Goodnight,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's all relative, economically we are an astounding success, most Irish people are unaware just how shockingly awful the continent of Europe is in terms of economic performance since 2008.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's all relative, economically we are an astounding success, most Irish people are unaware just how shockingly awful the continent of Europe is in terms of economic performance since 2008.

I’d love to see the majority of Irish people try survive one day in 90% of countries around the world.

We are so lucky and spoiled as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Was always bound to happen when our government panders to the needs of minority groups whilst ignoring the majority. But the problem is not just Ireland its a global pandemic currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Our health service is badly organised ,with layers of managers for every
    nurse , doctor .
    It cannot cope with an increasing population.
    We needed an 10 year plan in 2009, to build house,s for future
    workers .Our government plans 2-3 years ahead,
    The hse is being re organised ,
    it,s gonna be split up into regional boards ,
    maybe 4 .
    It should be easy predict by census and data from government
    we will need x no of schools in certain area.s .
    in 2007 the government borrowed 200 billion approx to rescue the banks .
    The government owns 1000,s of acres, of land.
    They could give sites to charitys to build more social housing.
    listen to talk shows on radio, read forums,
    theres loads of people complaining about high rents and high house
    price,s .
    Young people in america and the uk have the same problem.
    I do not see any posts on forums saying
    are we not great, we have a booming economy .
    Since the 90,s i remember people complaining about a shortage of school
    places .
    Better broadband might attract people to move to rural area,s ,
    maybe some government departments might encourage more people
    to work from home and reduce traffic jams .
    Our government systems were designed in the 30,s ,
    maybe they are not fit for a society in 2019.
    Its hard for the government to make major changes ,they have to consult with unions on every minor detail .
    Take any organisation with 1000, of workers ,
    there is bound to be a few who are lazy or dishonest .
    I do not think anyone in government in 2008, were planning
    for a boom or a large increase in population in 10 years
    they were trying to rescue the banks and stabilise the economy .
    I think the 3-3.5 lending rule has at least stopped prices from rising
    to ridiculous levels .
    i think theres a problem with the health service ,its hard to recruit new staff ,they are competing with private hospitals in usa,or uk,
    who can afford to pay very high salarys .
    Uptil about 2000 we had enough house,s ,
    since the crash in 2007, housing policy has been mediocre or badly planned .
    Look at the childrens hospital in dublin, it will probably take another 5-7 years to build it .
    And it would have been alot cheaper to build it in dublin 15, near a motor way , where land
    is cheap rather than in the middle of the city centre .
    Building in the city centre is more expensive , than a site close to a motorway .
    I think we are better than the american system, the american health system is a machine for giving money to hospitals and drug companys .
    If you do not have health insurance you wont get medical treatment from anyone .
    you wont even get the chance to lay on a trolley .
    In general we are better off than most nation,s .

OP does not live up too username!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I love how the failings of the country are defined and the response is "sure its the same in x country", its the reason our country will never do anything well, half assed little Ireland.
    Also, to clarify, Ireland does not have a sound economy, it has far to much dependancy on external and transactional based taxes, if it wasn't for briexit the morons in power wanted to lower the tax base every further and depend more on the type of taxes that dry up in the next recession, which is coming very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I like Ireland.
    It’s a nice place, you need to get an education and a decent job, but that message has been around since the 70’s.
    If you have private healthcare and choose a nice place to live it’s fine.

Yea I could double my earnings if I went back to Dublin but who needs that lifestyle.

I’ve never come across a problem with the guards, but were never in trouble and keep cars etc straight. We rang one morning a strange car came down our lane at 5:30 and we had a squad car within 10 minutes and it stayed about for two hours.

We’re 24km from the hospital but when we rang for an ambulance few years ago for one of the kids it was here in 30 minutes and we had a medic stay on the phone talking us through cpr, where local defib are and all that.

Local schools are great.

We’ve no public transport but we live in the countryside and have two cars, we grew up with that so it’s just normal.

People should just try enjoy what they have, life is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Dying from depopulation yet almost every town in the country has a growing population.

If Ireland has lost its way, when was it on the right path? I can point to any era when there were major social challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I haven't noticed any self congratulation at all. In fact quite the opposite. Its always how bad the country is in the media.

I dont think we realize we toughed out a bad recession that many other countries just whined about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Leo is a gob$hite alright but what ya gonna do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you point to anyone, anywhere, at any point in time who was involved in a sensible conversation about the society in which they lived in and felt the need to express themselves in such a way.

Seeing as you appear to have created this thread to denigrate Irish society, what do you think that society would be like if everyone was as rude and argumentative as you appear to be?

What are you doing to make it a better place?

blinding wrote: »
    Leo is a gob$hite alright but what ya gonna do ?

Love how Irish people blame one person because their lives are so miserable.

Pathetic way to live.

You make you’re own luck, there is opportunities passing every minute in life but people are too lazy to see it and will blame “Leo” for all their failings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

lola85 wrote: »
    I’d love to see the majority of Irish people try survive one day in 90% of countries around the world.

We are so lucky and spoiled as a nation.

You can say that about any European country, my point was that the eurozone is a basketcase economically, they would kill for our growth rates.

Advertisement