Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Nobody Can Exit Manulla Junction

Options
  • 24-07-2019 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Just thought I'd mention this to you all here. Over on a British railway forum I'm currently discussing railway stations that can not be reached in the car and only by train. The first reply I got was about Manulla Junction in county Mayo. I've never seen any railway station only for changing trains with no entrance/exit before. It's got me wondering why this is.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's in the middle of nowhere. The junction between the Isle of Wight normal railway and the preserved one is the same, it's not unique

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

L1011 wrote: »
    It's in the middle of nowhere. The junction between the Isle of Wight normal railway and the preserved one is the same, it's not unique

It may be in a remote spot but there was road access in the past but CIE wisely flogged off the land leaving the station landlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

why did they bother reopening it instead of just having the connection for the westport services continue to be at claremoris, given that trains i believe had to go there to run around anyway?
    presumably it was to get in more round trips and connections with the westport services?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

With the sheer numbers of people disembarking the Westport train for the Ballina train, they can't safely open the station to the public. It would be far too hazardous to add even more people to the millions who use the Ballina branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

why did they bother reopening it instead of just having the connection for the westport services continue to be at claremoris, given that trains i believe had to go there to run around anyway?
    presumably it was to get in more round trips and connections with the westport services?

Using Manulla as the change point allowed for rationalising of signalboxes in the region, namely the closure of Balla (Which controlled the junction) and Castlebar cabins, with Manulla becoming the new block post. Castlebar, which by then was superseded by Claremorris as the regional freight hub, was demoted to a halt under control of Westport and had it's sidings and loop removed.

Also, the requirements of the day dictated that wooden bodied stock couldn't work passenger trains on a mainline. Using Manulla as the transfer point for passengers got CIE around this requirement at a time when they hadn't the immediate resources to buy suitable new stock.

Lastly, changing at Manulla saved about 15 minutes for Ballina passengers. The line also gained with the reopening of Foxford
    Del Monte wrote:
    It may be in a remote spot but there was road access in the past but CIE wisely flogged off the land leaving the station landlocked.

Nonsense. There's still road access to the site; PW can get onto the track here and there is a Comms mast there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It is considerably quicker, the connections at Manulla are 2-3 minutes in the primary direction, when Claremorris was used the Ballina train had to be further ahead southbound and wait longer northbound for the signal sections to be cleared.

It also allows reasonable journey times for Westport-Ballina journeys as well as providing step-free connections.

Also, the requirements of the day dictated that wooden bodied stock couldn't work passenger trains on a mainline. Using Manulla as the transfer point for passengers got CIE around this requirement at a time when they hadn't the immediate resources to buy suitable new stock.

That after Cherryville?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

With the sheer numbers of people disembarking the Westport train for the Ballina train, they can't safely open the station to the public. It would be far too hazardous to add even more people to the millions who use the Ballina branch.

This is a joke right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

That after Cherryville?

Pretty much, yeah. The crashes at Buttevant and Inch also played their parts in their withdrawal.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This is a joke right?

What do you think?

• Advertisement

What do you think?

Considering what some pro railway people think/say I have learned not to assume!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Considering what some pro railway people think/say I have learned not to assume!

Ha ha. Fair enough. I was being extremely tongue in cheek.

I've heard rumours that even though Manulla is only a transfer point members of the public do use it as a starting/finishing point for their journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

A strange carry on! :rolleyes: Wouldn't it be better to reopen Balla & maybe pickup some extra potential customers?

Some might even like to travel Balla to Ballina or back? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Some years ago I intended to go from Dublin first to Ballina, then to Westport on the following train.
    Standing on the Manulla platform just behind the branch train, I took a photo of the ICR departing towards Westport. It would not have delayed the Ballina passengers to have waited ten seconds, but the crew departed, even though with no public exit, it was obvious that I intended to use the train.

I had no choice but to exit the junction, walking illegally on the track beneath the bridge, then up some steps to the road.

For once the great metropolis of Manulla had a visitor for a couple of hours, but it had no Grand Hotel, not even a shebeen or sweet shop.

When I was in the location a few weeks ago, the unofficial exit onto the road was impassable due to vegetation and I think the gate locked. There is a permanent way base beside the railway, but it has high gates and fences. Today anyone in this predicament would have to walk along the Ballina branch to the level crossing across the N60 road.

Considering the compo culture which prevails, I should have stayed on the platform and sued Irish Rail for emotional trauma as well as my foregone time in Ballina. The conduct of the branch train crew was not merely negligent but reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

A strange carry on! :rolleyes: Wouldn't it be better to reopen Balla & maybe pickup some extra potential customers?

Some might even like to travel Balla to Ballina or back? :pac:

Balla station is a considerable distance from the village, it is probably better served by road, but yes Ballina would be a potential route. Apart from the joke halts at Ardrahan and Craughwell, places the size of Balla would not be considered for re-opening.

When the Ballina trains ran through to Claremorris, it was so the loco could run around the train. Balla was midway between Claremorris and Castlebar, so was a useful location for a block post.
    This was a time costly exercise for Ballina passengers, as the branch train had to wait in Claremorris until the Westport train had cleared Balla. The present arrangement allows Ballina passengers to have a shorter journey time overall.

Looking at Balla a few weeks ago, it was a sorry sight, slowly disintegrating, sad, but who would want a house in such an isolated place, apart from rail enthusiasts who could see and hear freight trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

tabbey wrote: »
    Some years ago I intended to go from Dublin first to Ballina, then to Westport on the following train.
    Standing on the Manulla platform just behind the branch train, I took a photo of the ICR departing towards Westport. It would not have delayed the Ballina passengers to have waited ten seconds, but the crew departed, even though with no public exit, it was obvious that I intended to use the train.

I had no choice but to exit the junction, walking illegally on the track beneath the bridge, then up some steps to the road.

For once the great metropolis of Manulla had a visitor for a couple of hours, but it had no Grand Hotel, not even a shebeen or sweet shop.

When I was in the location a few weeks ago, the unofficial exit onto the road was impassable due to vegetation and I think the gate locked. There is a permanent way base beside the railway, but it has high gates and fences. Today anyone in this predicament would have to walk along the Ballina branch to the level crossing across the N60 road.

Considering the compo culture which prevails, I should have stayed on the platform and sued Irish Rail for emotional trauma as well as my foregone time in Ballina. The conduct of the branch train crew was not merely negligent but reckless.

I have heard some rubbish from trainspotters over the years but that is just next level entitlement.

You seriously expected the traincrew to just wait while you farted about on the platform taking pictures and scribbling numbers?

Had you asked them if you had the time to take a photo of the Westport departing you would either have been given a bit of leeway to take your shot and board the Ballina or been told it wasn't possible and you needed to get on the train without delay but you just expected them to know what you were at and stand by delaying their service while you indulged in your hobby? FFS.

As for the compo, negligence, reckless drivel, it it any wonder some staff have a negative attitude to enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Balla station is a considerable distance from the village.

Looking at Balla a few weeks ago, it was a sorry sight, slowly disintegrating, sad, but who would want a house in such an isolated place, apart from rail enthusiasts who could see and hear freight trains.

My apologies it appears that the old station is about 1KM from the village, locals can jump on bus services in the centre. I thought the railway was much closer to the village!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm sorry but the service is not operated to cater for photographers. Let that be a lesson for you.
    It isn't the 1950s where the train crew might make a pot of tea or decamp to the nearest pub while you take photos or pick flowers.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I have heard some rubbish from trainspotters over the years but that is just next level entitlement.

You seriously expected the traincrew to just wait while you farted about on the platform taking pictures and scribbling numbers?

Had you asked them if you had the time to take a photo of the Westport departing you would either have been given a bit of leeway to take your shot and board the Ballina or been told it wasn't possible and you needed to get on the train without delay but you just expected them to know what you were at and stand by delaying their service while you indulged in your hobby? FFS.

As for the compo, negligence, reckless drivel, it it any wonder some staff have a negative attitude to enthusiasts.

To be honest if drivers or any railway staff have a negative attitude towards spotters then chances are they do towards everybody. They do no harm to anybody provided they do there spotting the right side of the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Ha ha. Fair enough. I was being extremely tongue in cheek.

I've heard rumours that even though Manulla is only a transfer point members of the public do use it as a starting/finishing point for their journeys.

More lower cheek than upper cheek I’d say. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I'm sorry but the service is not operated to cater for photographers. Let that be a lesson for you.
    It isn't the 1950s where the train crew might make a pot of tea or decamp to the nearest pub while you take photos or pick flowers.

In the 1950's with the slam doors, and 'slow to accelerate' steamers you'd simply run after the train and jump on after taking the photos. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are many people using this line Ballina-Foxford-Manulla and back on a daily basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

With the new US president having ancestry in Ballina they might end up having to make Ballina the main and Westport the branch to handle post Covid tourist demand :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but would it be possible for me to exit and enter MJ station to gain access to the local area?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. There is no public access to the station except by rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's very sustainable as the only way to access the station is by public transport! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The station is in the middle of nowhere.

In the greater scheme of things on the railway, there are far more important things that need to happen than providing public access to Manulla Junction, which would have to be in compliance with the latest accessiblilty requirements with the added costs that involves.

Bus Éireann and GoBus each provide six and five return services on their commercial routes 52 and 430 respectively between Claremorris, Balla and Castlebar each day in each direction en route between Ballina and Galway, and there are two Bus Éireann PSO route 440 services in each direction each day that also stop at Manulla Crossroads en route between Westport, Castlebar, Claremorris and Knock Airport.

That's probably more than enough sustainability!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What's the exit plan in the case of an emergency situation at Manulla? Admittedly I'm not quite sure what major incident could happen on a concrete platform, but it doesn't seem right that you've no official way of 'leaving the station'. It's presumably just 'pick a random direction and hope for the best'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The same as if an accident happened anywhere else on the 168 mile line between Heuston and Westport evacuate to wherever possible. Manulla is a quick hop across between the two trains and usually takes no more than two minutes in the down direction and as soon as the up arrives it is away.

In any emergency, plenty of open space to evacuate away from the station. Having a stairwell or lift to a road wouldn’t make it anymore safe in the case of a fire on a train (probably the worst incident possible there).

Advertisement