Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop building social housing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Why does everyone who lives in a council house hang around in their front garden.

You've got the house for free , why not sit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

eviltwin wrote: »
    And that is starting to happen. One housing body that has built housing for people who meet traditional social housing requirements are now building for those who don't qualify for social housing but dont earn enough to get a mortgage. Long overdue and hopefully others will follow suit.

Do you have any info on that? Something similar to the affordable housing scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

this is where we actually need a sticky on what terms means

"nobody gets a free house" would, in my new imagined era, see a warning that reads "people whose only income is social welfare dont pay towards their housing and quite obviously their housing is therefore provided for free, dont quibble at this statement again"

"all social housing/social welfare/expenditure on social transfer is theft" would see a warning stating "social transfers, costs incurred to prevent poverty and destitution and to ensure a basic safety net from hunger, lack of healthcare, homelessness, lack of education etc are a feature of modern life. dont make such a uselessly broad statement again"

"homelessness" would be defined as rough sleeping and would also have to be used only in circumstances where the systems in place had been engaged with and the qualifying behaviours followed. anyone with a roof over their head, or who had rendered themselves homeless by their own choices, would not qualify for the term

cmon boards, elect me to clean up the nonsense terms allowed that cause the endless debates. we'll have the place sorted by Friday

You may have it "sorted" by Friday. But it wouldn't make it any less wrong. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

GarIT wrote: »
    Do you have any info on that? Something similar to the affordable housing scheme?

I can't because I work for them and it's not going to be launched until next year but one site is already being built and another just got planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

eviltwin wrote: »
    I can't because I work for them and it's not going to be launched until next year but one site is already being built and another just got planning permission

That's still positive to hear

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    You may have it "sorted" by Friday. But it wouldn't make it any less wrong. ;)

yeah i know, i know

but so much of these debates churn over constantly around the imprecise or emotive use of terms which allows for too much fudging.

if someone is making a point about people getting housing costs met totally from the government purse, to refuse to engage other than to jump in and make a tired quibble shouldnt be kosher, it should be treated as whataboutery imo

but look we're not exactly engaged in productive discussion anyway, ill admit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As far as I'm concerned, we should be nationalising as much house building as possible and removing profit from the equation altogether. Leaving housing at the mercy of greed has caused untold misery to tens of thousands of people living in private rented accomodation over the last few years.

With recipients, where does the incentive to pay back come from? I mean - would there be a meaningful eviction threat from such nationalised houses?
    Do you equate all profit-making with greed?
    Does successful risk-taking by an entrepreneur merit no reward?

anyway, we should be building more social housing. heaps of it.

the standard of planning, density and the enforcement of behaviour around noise, housekeeping, asb, rent payments should all be much, much tighter.

the problem isnt that social housing is bad as a concept, its the way we accept and normalise the abuse of it as a society that gives it a bad name

topper75 wrote: »
    With recipients, where does the incentive to pay back come from? I mean - would there be a meaningful eviction threat from such nationalised houses?
    Do you equate all profit-making with greed?
    Does successful risk-taking by an entrepreneur merit no reward?

is this the type of successful risktaking that saw everyone else paying for them the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yes there is a need for social housing, not everyone has the ability to earn enough to keep themselves in the current economy.

BUT! This should not be a house for life. It should be a stepping stone to get you on the path to independence.

Self reliance is something that everyone should strive for. Putting yourself on the council listing immediately when you are young should be discouraged.

Families should be given a number of years to save and earn and this should be in the contract, there is nothing like knowing you have a definite amount of time to achieve something and making that happen.

Anti-social behaviour means loss of house, drug dealing means loss of house, make people responsible for the house, after all, if it your own home you have to pay to maintain it. Pride in ownership leads to less of the items mentioned prior to this.

Not paying rent is not taking responsibility for your own actions, there are rarely any excuses for this. If you are in the private sector rental you would be kicked out (especially where I live).

Not everyone has the ability to take responsibility for themselves. That is why we have social workers and other state employees who monitor individuals. If help IS needed then it should be available.

One thing that absolutely grinds my gears are those that CHOOSE not to work. (I know some will attack me for saying that I mean ALL social housing recipients when in fact I do not). Laziness should never be rewarded. There are some who choose not to work, yes I have met them and know them (as I am sure many others have). Someone able but not willing to work, should never be given things that others have to work for.

People should really be given every opportunity and assistance to make their own lives better and be given a leg up. Social housing is just one aspect of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Earthsnotflat

From my perspective, as someone who never qualifies for any state help and has to pay for everything, the idea of social housing for working people it's very unfair towards 'working poor' . I don't have half the disposable income someone working and paying very little for social housing has yet I am just above the limits to qualify, always improving qualifications, always fighting against odds just to pay mortgage and huge costs of commuting to work plus works to improve old house as couldn't afford any better and couldn't afford rent too, i don't qualify for any back to school etc yet can barely afford it, don't have private health insurance or pension yet can't always afford gp, etc while people on social welfare or indeed those working but having social house provided don't have such worries, etc etc. It's just demoralizing.. but it's not something that can be changed overnight, whole approach should be to appreciate more people who don't want to burden society with the need to provide for them, there are lots of people who work and study and pay for everything and are far from comfortable middle class, whereas those being provided for by state are effectively living much more care free, it's just not fair, not that I hope it will change

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

it's very unfair towards 'working poor'

This should be a term that passes no lips in a fair and just society. Nobody working full time should be out of reach of putting a roof over their heads.

But the questions we should all be asking ourselves, is not "How are dole scum getting free houses", it's how have we allowed societies to denigrate into a system that puts the necessities for living out of the hands of so many people?

Our current housing situation is a perfect example of something that has completely gotten out of control, especially when we can see working people bringing in decent income, but still unable to even hope for such a basic living item like a modest house. And even if they can scrape together the payments for their crappy two bedroomed dog box, they are hocked into debt for decades for it <- and I'll say it again, there's a real ticking time bomb waiting to go off in a few decades.

In years gone by, owning a family home could be handled with relative ease and with one one person working into the bargain. How has it gotten to a stage that even with two incomes, it isn't enough and owning a basic family home is but a pipe dream to so many people?

Who benefits from a system that works like this? Because it certainly isn't the majority of folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

From my perspective, as someone who never qualifies for any state help and has to pay for everything, the idea of social housing for working people it's very unfair towards 'working poor' . I don't have half the disposable income someone working and paying very little for social housing has yet I am just above the limits to qualify, always improving qualifications, always fighting against odds just to pay mortgage and huge costs of commuting to work plus works to improve old house as couldn't afford any better and couldn't afford rent too, i don't qualify for any back to school etc yet can barely afford it, don't have private health insurance or pension yet can't always afford gp, etc while people on social welfare or indeed those working but having social house provided don't have such worries, etc etc. It's just demoralizing.. but it's not something that can be changed overnight, whole approach should be to appreciate more people who don't want to burden society with the need to provide for them, there are lots of people who work and study and pay for everything and are far from comfortable middle class, whereas those being provided for by state are effectively living much more care free, it's just not fair, not that I hope it will change

Are you resentfull of the working poor becaue they get additional state support which they get because their income is low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Balanadan wrote: »
    Why do some working people get free houses and others don't?

Level of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

NSAman wrote: »
    Anti-social behaviour means loss of house, drug dealing means loss of house, make people responsible for the house, after all, if it your own home you have to pay to maintain it. Pride in ownership leads to less of the items mentioned prior to this.

Not paying rent is not taking responsibility for your own actions, there are rarely any excuses for this. If you are in the private sector rental you would be kicked out (especially where I live).

I don't get this... if they do any of these bad things then where do you put them if you kick them out? Back in a hotel and back on the housing list? Doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

If your landlord gives you money each week for not working but takes a small bit of it back as rent, that's not you paying rent imo.

Well I pay my Council rent out of my wages. Oh dear...have I been doing it wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I don't get this... if they do any of these bad things then where do you put them if you kick them out? Back in a hotel and back on the housing list? Doesn't really make sense.

Who cares.

lola85 wrote: »
    Who cares.

Relevant authorities will have to care wont they

It is called responsibility for your own actions. If you cannot conduct yourself in a civilised manner then you should not have the PRIVILEGE of a social house.

The fact that some people do not understand this is at the root cause of these issues.

At the end of the day, a social house is NOT an entitlement and should not be viewed as such.

You should pay for the consequences of your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It is called responsibility for your own actions. If you cannot conduct yourself in a civilised manner then you should not have the PRIVILEGE of a social house.

The fact that some people do not understand this is at the root cause of these issues.

At the end of the day, a social house is NOT an entitlement and should not be viewed as such.

All well and good but what do you do with these people?
    Perhaps they will live in a tent next to your house

• Advertisement

So what do you do with them? Put a load of already poor people who aren't even capable of getting a job or proper education out on the street? That'll go down well wont it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

kneemos wrote: »
    Nobody gets a free house.

Of course some people get a free house

All well and good but what do you do with these people?
    Perhaps they will live in a tent next to your house

Perhaps that might be the answer. Rewarding some people for bad behaviour doesn't seem to work. Exclusion for housing assistance for a period of time with the understanding that if they cause such behaviour again the exclusion period will be longer might be a deterrent to such behaviour.

Basically, at the moment there is no deterrent in place.

Perhaps that might be the answer. Rewarding some people for bad behaviour doesn't seem to work. Exclusion for housing assistance for a period of time with the understanding that if they cause such behaviour again the exclusion period will be longer might be a deterrent to such behaviour.

OK for e.g. Mags Cash has dozens of convictions and 8 kids, and got a 4 bed house for free recently, exactly where she wanted. Say she does another job on Penney's, you put the 9 of them out on the streets?

Thats a complete con job. If taxes are lowered then public services get lowered and the taxpayer ends up paying MORE for public services.

If taxes were lowered

No, public servants wages get lowered, that's different to a reduction in services

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Because having hordes of people with behavioural problems living on the streets will be great for society?
    Again, I ask, where?
    On your street?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Well I pay my Council rent out of my wages. Oh dear...have I been doing it wrong?

Again we have to differentiate between those who work and those who will never work. Both get the same houses, only one pays for it.

El_Bee wrote: »
    If you live in a house where the rent is paid through HAP or social welfare, then how is it not free? the cost to you is zero.

Only a committed ideologue could believe its anything other than free.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,794 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you have any idea how many council tenants don't actually pay their rent?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

They'll take another tenner a week off us in the next budget like they've done since they came in, and throw it into an insinerator like they so every year.

I'd more money in my pocket 4 years ago than now, robbing Peter to pay Paul

Advertisement