Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog choice help

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SunnyMay

I had a Doberman. This is a very active dog. But if you train him a lot, then this is a wonderful pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I would recommend a Boxer, excellent temperament with kids, we got one when i was 9 years old, had him till i was 22, had a stroke and had to put him down. But not vicious or rough, very playful and will make your back garden look like a bomb site for a while with all the digging, big energy and will need walking daily for at least an hour, or take to a park or field and run around chasing a tennis ball.

If you don't mind a bit of drool and jelly jaws this would be the dog for your home. And they are very protective of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would recommend a Boxer, excellent temperament with kids, we got one when i was 9 years old, had him till i was 22, had a stroke and had to put him down. But not vicious or rough, very playful and will make your back garden look like a bomb site for a while with all the digging, big energy and will need walking daily for at least an hour, or take to a park or field and run around chasing a tennis ball.

If you don't mind a bit of drool and jelly jaws this would be the dog for your home. And they are very protective of kids.

I hope you don’t work in advertising, Far too honest in your sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

salmocab wrote: »
    I hope you don’t work in advertising, Far too honest in your sell.

Might as well know what your getting into, and no i dont work in advertising. Just sharing my love for boxers and many years of happiness i had even with the digging and drool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

So we ended up getting a Jack russell / sausage dog yoke. Lovely Little guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Glad to hear it! What avenue did you go down?

We're due to pick up a terrier x tomorrow and are v excited! Although our family dynamic is a bit different.

Our house has 2 retired parents, adult children (thanks to Dublin rents) and 2 cats (1 of which hates everyone and everything) so we decided we didn't want a puppy.

It has taken a while as we had our hearts dashed with dogs that my mum was not comfortable handling (ie. pulled too strong for her), or they were great until they failed the cat test!

We were near giving up until we got a call from the adoption worker we had been working with saying they just got a young dog back from foster who she thought would suit us perfectly. She had a litter and they were now weaned. The dog wasn't even in the rehoming building yet but we went up, met her, fell in love with her sweet temperament, a dog in a pen next door was going mad at her and she didn't really care! The only con was she had a big litter and just weaned so my dad was a bit worried about the pendulous teat but we assured him they'll go down and not everyone bounces back as quick as Kate Middleton :P

He was found as a stray a couple of Months ago.
    They couldn't locate any owner, tried various notices in shops, Garda station.
    A couple took him for a few weeks but couldn't keep him so we offered.

He is lovely, seems very smart and great temperament with kids.
    He has issues with being left alone at the moment.
    If my wife leaves the room he starts whimpering and getting stressed.
    He is getting loads of attention from us, is already cuddling kids on the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭muddypaws

wobert wrote: »

He is getting loads of attention from us, is already cuddling kids on the couch.

Did he go to the local pound? Your post sounds as though someone found him and kept him in their home? If that is the case, pleasebe aware rhat you won't legally own him until 366 days after he was initially found and if an owner turns up in that time, they can take him back

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did he go to the local pound? Your post sounds as though someone found him and kept him in their home? If that is the case, pleasebe aware rhat you won't legally own him until 366 days after he was initially found and if an owner turns up in that time, they can take him back

Yes he was a stray. Was in a bad way when found seemingly , very neglected so doubt anyone will come looking.
    He was brought to vet and ISPCA.

wobert wrote: »

We're having similar issues with separation anxiety.. We ended up buying her a crate after she damaged door frame and blinds.

Felt guilty crating her but it's for her own good, we were worried she'd get a splinter in the mouth etc but luckily she was in a whelping crate so she's not unfamiliar and she's doing better with it! Even her bed is getting less chewed even though it's in there with her!

• Advertisement

mlem123 wrote: »
    We're having similar issues with separation anxiety.. We ended up buying her a crate after she damaged door frame and blinds.

Felt guilty crating her but it's for her own good, we were worried she'd get a splinter in the mouth etc but luckily she was in a whelping crate so she's not unfamiliar and she's doing better with it! Even her bed is getting less chewed even though it's in there with her!

sounds like you had no other option.
    Our fella had his first morning on his own. I had baked a ham for lunches and left it on the counter by mistake.
    It was untouched when my wife got home. phew
    he is more relaxed with us now

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

mlem123 wrote: »

A dog that is suffering from separation anxiety will still feel it in the crate. I understand that it means she’s not chewing your house but it would be good to seek professional help with this if possible . She needs to learn to be comfortable on her own in the house when you are there, ie in the next room and very gradually build it up to longer periods away. You could do this by giving her something such as a stuffed Kong so she builds positive associations with being left alone....
    if they start learning something good happens when you leave it will hopefully reduce the anxiety.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    A dog that is suffering from separation anxiety will still feel it in the crate. I understand that it means she’s not chewing your house but it would be good to seek professional help with this if possible . She needs to learn to be comfortable on her own in the house when you are there, ie in the next room and very gradually build it up to longer periods away. You could do this by giving her something such as a stuffed Kong so she builds positive associations with being left alone....
    if they start learning something good happens when you leave it will hopefully reduce the anxiety.

Yeah we do realise that. Part of me is feeling guilty but we're more worried if she swallows a chunk of door frame rather than the doorframe itself :P Before she goes into it we make sure she's taken a long walk so is pretty zonked.

We have been moving the crate and leaving it open to be near us when we're there, giving her plenty of treats with it, leaving the radio on and giving her her favourite toys including a kong. Hopefully we won't have to be forever but we're working on building up her confidence so fingers crossed.

We know crating can be a bit controversial but we know it's the best for her at night for the moment. There is considerably less barking a whining and before she'd wrecked her bedding but the bedding has remained in one piece since! During the day there'll be someone at home 90% of the time so it's mainly at night time!

Advertisement