Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

That will be a very neat setup, can't wait for your review !

489467.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So I hooked up a single 4Ah battery pack after I charged it. Only went to 40.2V (for those of you who don't know a 10S pack of 3.7V nominal 18650 cells should be at about 42V when fully charged) which is a bit strange but might be related to the fact the pack was at a low SOC for several weeks. The charger outputs 42.1V which is perfect. Why would the charger show the green light though, indicating that the battery is fully charged? :confused:

Anyway, off I went yesterday. Bike tyres are quite soft. Brake pads are slightly hitting the rims. Bike is old and heavy and my 100kg doesn't help either. And it was quite stormy. With one pack the controller cut power after about 20s at full throttle. Must be the load temporarily lowering the pack voltage below the threshold. Still max speed with the wind was about 35km/h. With half throttle or throttle on / off (a bit like pulse and glide) I managed 5km range. Bike struggled up any small hill. Battery was 34V when I came home, had to pedal the last few hundred meters as the battery was dead, didn't pedal at all up to then

Today I parallelled both little packs (under €45 each shipped :D), pumped up the tyres to 30PSI and it was a completely different ballgame. Started again at 40.2V. Did the full 5km circuit at almost constant max throttle and with no wind the bike manages a constant top speed of a bit over 30km/h. No issues at all and came home with a battery just under 39V, didn't pedal at all

So if I can get the pack back to charging to full, it should be able to do my 10km commute no bother flying along at full throttle 30km/h. It probably even can do that if the battery doesn't go up again

unkel wrote: »
    So I hooked up a single 4Ah battery pack after I charged it. Only went to 40.2V (for those of you who don't know a 10S pack of 3.7V nominal 18650 cells should be at about 42V when fully charged) which is a bit strange but might be related to the fact the pack was at a low SOC for several weeks. The charger outputs 42.1V which is perfect. Why would the charger show the green light though, indicating that the battery is fully charged? :confused:/QUOTE]

Those packs have BMS ? could be that they didn't fully balance. Usually the bleed current for the BMS is quite low and can take a very long time to balance depending on how off they are.

IF you can manage not to get the packs too low then they should not get much out of balance.

Today I parallelled both little packs (under €45 each shipped :D), pumped up the tyres to 30PSI and it was a completely different ballgame. Started again at 40.2V. Did the full 5km circuit at almost constant max throttle and with no wind the bike manages a constant top speed of a bit over 30km/h. No issues at all and came home with a battery just under 39V, didn't pedal at all

So if I can get the pack back to charging to full, it should be able to do my 10km commute no bother flying along at full throttle 30km/h. It probably even can do that if the battery doesn't go up again

Hard tyres make a difference, I remember when I ditched the nountain bike tyres and got Continental sport contacts and pumped them to 90 Psi the difference was amazing, the peddling efficiency was amazing, of course on country roads you need a decent saddle with that kind of tyre pressure....... :D

You should sell that motor when you want to upgrade and get an 8T Mac kit.

Don't forget that it's often the case that battery C rates are over rates so if your pack is getting very warm and you notice lots of voltage sag then it's definitely not a 3 C battery.

And the cold will also make it sluggish in winter if stored in the shed, get an electric blanket and keep them wrapped up at night !

I reckon that battery will have a very short life.......

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

Can anyone advise me or give me a link to where i can get a controller for my electric bike. its a 36v battery and 250w motor. Unfortunately i know very little about electrics so a direct link to where i could get one would be great. thanks

nokiatom wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me or give me a link to where i can get a controller for my electric bike. its a 36v battery and 250w motor. Unfortunately i know very little about electrics so a direct link to where i could get one would be great. thanks

Try ebay, they are pretty common those controllers and usually they are the same with many different names.

The difference mostly is the wiring and whether it's compatible with your kit, the connectors might be different.

The wires to the motor and controller might have to be wired differently , called phase wires. Say blue might have to go to yellow, yellow to green etc if the motor runs very rough and/or backwards or is very noisy then you might have to wire up the phases differently.

Are you sure your controller is toast ? what is the symptom ?

+ you will also have to get a 36v controller if you get one for 48 volts and connect a 36 v battery the low voltage cut off will kick in way too early if it runs at all and if you get a 48v controller it won;t cut off at all with a 36v battery, however these low voltage cut offs were mainly for lead acid batteries that had no BMS but the controller will still cut the power if you get a 48v controller for a 36 v battery.

I always got programmable controllers so I could change torque, acceleration, top speed, and battery cut off voltage if I decided to change my setup, get a different motor etc. , I always got infineon controllers from em3ev. If you do make sure and get matching ebrake and throttle or the connectors might not match back up.

I always prefer thumb throttle and not twist throttle.

I don't know where you will get the exact controller you have.

• Advertisement

Try ebay, they are pretty common those controllers and usually they are the same with many different names.

The difference mostly is the wiring and whether it's compatible with your kit, the connectors might be different.

The wires to the motor and controller might have to be wired differently , called phase wires. Say blue might have to go to yellow, yellow to green etc if the motor runs very rough and/or backwards or is very noisy then you might have to wire up the phases differently.

Are you sure your controller is toast ? what is the symptom ?

+ you will also have to get a 36v controller if you get one for 48 volts and connect a 36 v battery the low voltage cut off will kick in way too early if it runs at all and if you get a 48v controller it won;t cut off at all with a 36v battery, however these low voltage cut offs were mainly for lead acid batteries that had no BMS but the controller will still cut the power if you get a 48v controller for a 36 v battery.

I always got programmable controllers so I could change torque, acceleration, top speed, and battery cut off voltage if I decided to change my setup, get a different motor etc. , I always got infineon controllers from em3ev. If you do make sure and get matching ebrake and throttle or the connectors might not match back up.

I always prefer thumb throttle and not twist throttle.

I don't know where you will get the exact controller you have.

its an old electric bike with the battery on the carrier at the back. Its a liFe P04 battery. When i turn on the throttle control all the lights blink for a split second and then go off. i never had issues with the battery and this problem just happened out of the blue. attached is the throttle control

@nokiatom , Tell me, what was the outcome of the tests I asked you to do, I forget now.

Still can't remember if it sounds more like your battery or not.

Those packs have BMS ? could be that they didn't fully balance. Usually the bleed current for the BMS is quite low and can take a very long time to balance depending on how off they are.

IF you can manage not to get the packs too low then they should not get much out of balance.

Don't forget that it's often the case that battery C rates are over rates so if your pack is getting very warm and you notice lots of voltage sag then it's definitely not a 3 C battery.

Yes they have a BMS:

Linky

If you think about it, one pack just didn't make sense. The motor is 500W and the battery pack size = 4Ah

Pack voltage is say 40V. That means the current at max motor settings is 12.5A so you are talking well over 3C. I'm actually surprised that tiny battery gave that to me (for about 20-30s)

Much better off with the two packs in parallel, which brings the max C rating to well under 2C. It could provide this constantly for my 5km loop

Hope they recover though, at their current 40.3V, they are only at about 80% SOC. That said I actually don't know if they would go all the way up to 42V as I have never tested this and they arrived only 60% or so charged...

But maybe that's a good thing. I shouldn't run them down again like I did though.

Why do you think they will have a short life? Because they were cheap? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I posted this a while back, maybe when most people were on their holliers....

any answers?

"I have a Huzhqu Li i battery 36v 10A; and BFSWZB 36v 250w 170R 24-190 1118485 letters and numbers on the motor."

Another poster suggested that is a Bafang.

I just got a mail from the manufacturer, Jorvik, to say that 250w is the only option available for my model.

So, now my question is, is it possible to get an upgrade somewhere else? Are there compatibility issues? Does an upgrade come as a direct swap wheel/motor? If I upgrade, are there street legal issues, apparently that is the reason there is no upgrade possible in the UK.

BarryM wrote: »
    I posted this a while back, maybe when most people were on their holliers....

any answers?

"I have a Huzhqu Li i battery 36v 10A; and BFSWZB 36v 250w 170R 24-190 1118485 letters and numbers on the motor."

Another poster suggested that is a Bafang.

I just got a mail from the manufacturer, Jorvik, to say that 250w is the only option available for my model.

So, now my question is, is it possible to get an upgrade somewhere else? Are there compatibility issues? Does an upgrade come as a direct swap wheel/motor? If I upgrade, are there street legal issues, apparently that is the reason there is no upgrade possible in the UK.

I meant to reply to this post but I forgot all about it.

What kind of upgrade are you looking for? more power ?

Chances are if you want more power you will have to upgrade the battery and the controller and motor so you would probably be looking at purchasing a whole new kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I meant to reply to this post but I forgot all about it.

What kind of upgrade are you looking for? more power ?

Chances are if you want more power you will have to upgrade the battery and the controller and motor so you would probably be looking at purchasing a whole new kit.

Yes, power upgrade. Suspected what you said might be the case. Bummer.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Yes they have a BMS:

Linky

Hi. Some of the cheaper batteries have a BMS with no balance function. I suspect that this may be in your case as there is no mention of a balance function in the e bay link. I had similar experience. The battery will not charge fully as when battery becomes unbalanced, some cells will have high voltage and will shut off BMS before charging is complete.
    If you have good technical experience and the time, these batteries can be manually balanced (say every 3 to 6 months or so) by bleeding down the high cells and/or individually charging up the low cells (e.g.with modified 5 volt mobile phone charger). However, this involves opening the battery wrapping and is usually not recommended due to safety reasons.

I reckon that must be it Joe. Probably my own fault in hooking the single packs up and discharging them too quickly (leading to some cells voltages going below others)

Still with 40.3V and the packs now in parallel (8Ah) it is more than plenty for my range needs. And unlike an EV, should the batteries be completely depleted I can still peddle home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I reckon that must be it Joe. Probably my own fault in hooking the single packs up and discharging them too quickly (leading to some cells voltages going below others)

Still with 40.3V and the packs now in parallel (8Ah) it is more than plenty for my range needs. And unlike an EV, should the batteries be completely depleted I can still peddle home :D

It may not be your fault. Sometime batteries that are on offer (cheap) have been in storage for a while and may already be out of balance when sold. Batteries are best fresh.

A battery that is cutting off at 40.3 will have a substantial loss of capacity. Under normal circumstances, the 36v battery is charged at constant current (e.g 2amps) until it reaches 42 v. The battery continues to be charged at 42v until the charging current drops to a fraction of an amp. This is often called the constant voltage or saturation phase. A battery which terminates its charge at 40.3V due to BMS shut off will not reach the constant voltage/saturation stage and will lose a lot of capacity.

I wouldn't call it a substantial loss of capacity though. Roughly still at 80%

Not too bad for a 36V 8Ah pack that I bought for €90 including shipping :)

You're right that the batteries more than likely have been sitting in storage for some time. These are the packs that went into the hoverboards / electric scooters that were the big Christmas present hit last year and the year before. It's (just) more profitable to sell these overstock packs as is than to dismantle them and sell individual cells I guess.

Time to move to LiPo !

You'd make a 20 Ah 36 v pack quite cheap, you'd have to buy a RC style balance charger and balance leads and PSU though + cell voltage monitors, or just buy proper battery from em3ev, he builds his own and not your cheap junk.

or just buy proper battery from em3ev, he builds his own and not your cheap junk.

I had a look at the prices on his website. He knows how to charge.

My packs are fine for my needs. Cheap and cheerful!

I had a look at the prices on his website. He knows how to charge.

My packs are fine for my needs. Cheap and cheerful!

They all know how to charge and you get what you pay for and his reputation on endless sphere is excellent.

You pay for good quality or a bit less for not so good quality.

Besides, once you get your head around using LiPo, you'll never look back.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-6s-20c-lipo-pack-w-xt-90.html

4 of these for 44v and 10 ah would cost 173 euro's ex shipping.

20 C discharge 2 C charge, charge it at 20 amps in 30 mins lol :D

Bunch of 30 amp anderson connectors for dead easy connecting.

Update: for the craic I put a power meter between battery and controller. Turns out my 500W motor actually produces nearly 1kW :eek: :D:p

No wonder that tiny battery pack could only hack that for 15-20s, that was discharging at 23A or nearly 6C :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bike is great for taking the dog out for some serious exercise. She's lost some weight and she is well fit now (I'm not) :p

Update: for the craic I put a power meter between battery and controller. Turns out my 500W motor actually produces nearly 1kW :eek: :D:p

No wonder that tiny battery pack could only hack that for 15-20s, that was discharging at 23A or nearly 6C :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bike is great for taking the dog out for some serious exercise. She's lost some weight and she is well fit now (I'm not) :p

No way you don't take the dog for a walk with you on the bike ? :eek:

The motor isn't producing 1 Kw , that's what's being pulled from the battery. The motor simulator is the place to go to find out what maybe going to the motor.

Now imagine 5 Kw ? :eek: :D

• Advertisement

No way you don't take the dog for a walk with you on the bike ? :eek:

Dog off the lead by the canal or in the park.
    The motor isn't producing 1 Kw , that's what's being pulled from the battery.

So where is that 1kW going then if not to the motor? ;):p

Dog off the lead by the canal or in the park.

So where is that 1kW going then if not to the motor? ;):p

You're probably loosing about 30% due to inefficiency. But go to the ebikes.ca motor simulator, it's pretty cool to mess around with.

Actually I'll play around with it, so your setup is what 20 amp controller and 36 Volts ?

Crap, I can't remember what wind that motor is, so many motors these days but I remember the Chaps on endless-sphere knew the motor specs and compared it to a nine-continent and I can't remember which one.

But that's actually about 828 watts, 36V x 23 amps :D

You're probably loosing about 30% due to inefficiency. But go to the ebikes.ca motor simulator, it's pretty cool to mess around with.

Actually I'll play around with it, so your setup is what 20 amp controller and 36 Volts ?

I very much doubt there is 30% loss to inefficiency. But let's say 20% loss (I put a few figures into that site you mention and all combos I tried had 80% or higher efficiency). I saw 930W, so that effectively means 750W which is less than 20A controller * 40V battery, so well in spec.

Interestingly that is enough to give me a Vmax on the flat of 30-35km/h but it would not propel me up a long steep hill. I guess you would need 2-3kW for that :D

I very much doubt there is 30% loss to inefficiency. But let's say 20% loss (I put a few figures into that site you mention and all combos I tried had 80% or higher efficiency). I saw 930W, so that effectively means 750W which is less than 20A controller * 40V battery, so well in spec.

Interestingly that is enough to give me a Vmax on the flat of 30-35km/h but it would not propel me up a long steep hill. I guess you would need 2-3kW for that :D

Well it's not going to be accurate because we need to know the actual motor specs, lots of the Chinese motors are clones but we need to know the windings etc but yes you could loose 30 % depending on terrain too , geared hubs are more efficient but on hills you could loose much more than 30%.

Mostly flat here in Lucan! Apart from the climb from the village up to the N4. Must try that sometime. I'd say the motor won't be able to pull me up. Me + bike >125kg

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't go for the 250W motor kit. That would not have been adequate for me even on the flat. With the current setup it also effortlessly drove at speed (>20km/h) through a field of long wet grass.

Mostly flat here in Lucan! Apart from the climb from the village up to the N4. Must try that sometime. I'd say the motor won't be able to pull me up. Me + bike >125kg

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't go for the 250W motor kit. That would not have been adequate for me even on the flat. With the current setup it also effortlessly drove at speed (>20km/h) through a field of long wet grass.

Yes, you see now why the "legal" ebikes are pulling over 700 watts ?

Chain drives are more efficient though for hills.

Hubs with power are great though , geared hub at 2 Kw is brilliant, just have to watch the really slow steep trails.

@nokiatom , Tell me, what was the outcome of the tests I asked you to do, I forget now.

Still can't remember if it sounds more like your battery or not.
    it appears to be the battery. when i took the battery off the bike it showed a date of 2013. the battery is fully charged and getting a reading of 31.5v. I didnt realise they are expensive to buy...approx 200 euro from China including DHL delivery. Found a crowd here in Ireland that refurbishes them....they are charging 300 euro for my size of battery!!

nokiatom wrote: »
    it appears to be the battery. when i took the battery off the bike it showed a date of 2013. the battery is fully charged and getting a reading of 31.5v. I didnt realise they are expensive to buy...approx 200 euro from China including DHL delivery. Found a crowd here in Ireland that refurbishes them....they are charging 300 euro for my size of battery!!

The batteries are expensive but compared to running a car it's nothing if you have to spend 500 Euro's every 5 years.

Electric bike also encourage people to go out and put some effort into cycling, this has tremendous health benefits.

Your battery is 6 years old, you got your moneys worth.

My advice now is get a good one from em3ev, take pics and email them and tell them this is what you want/need in order to fit your existing bike or you might have to do some simple rewiring.

You might find good quality batteries elsewhere but I do not know where that has this level of good reputation, you could go to the endless-sphere website and ask People there. But I do know there are a lot of dodgy sellers in Europe bringing in Dirt Chinese made batteries and selling for well above their price instead of selling the good quality Chinese batteries and selling them at a decent price. Be warned and shop where recommended or you could find yourself with a crap battery.

Do not use LiFeP04 for an Ebike, it has good life cycle but it's too large and heavy for ebike use.

Can you post a pic of your bike and battery ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I've been looking at getting an ebike and saw this. I'm looking at this or trying to get something similar because i want a bike that is step through and has a forked kick stand which would hold it upright as i'm loading a child into a child seat. I've dodgy knees and poor balance so i'm thinking of supplementing my daily commute with an electric some days to take the pressure off. It seems very reasonably proced.

I've a question about the power of this. It has a 250W brushless Bafang geared hub motor with 80 Nm of torque and 5:1 planetary gear reduction. Is it adequate to give you enough power to assist you going up a hill?

The weight of the bike itself is 29.5kg and i weigh just under 12 stone.

If you're going 25kmph do you have to be pedaling that quick also? There's only the one gear on this bike.

I don't want to be stuck with a pig of a bike.

Advertisement