Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

That's good news, thanks for that. I might pre order the S5, and then follow up with the A5 for herself. We haven't had an ebike before, so we can both try out the S5 for a while and see how we like it.

Earliest delivery is October I see, but its supposed to be a pre-order price.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Just got the email to say that my Rad Rhino 6 Plus is now shipped and will be with me in a couple of days!

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Hey all,

I live in a small city on the Costa Blanca in Spain called Dénia. I work in a neighbouring town called Javea which is 18KM away (51min, 120m elevation).

I’ve never owned an ebike and I’ve no idea what I should be looking at. 

The bike will be mainly used for this daily commute but I’d also like to try and use it outside of that (I’m not a trail person though).

Looking online, I’ve seen everything from standard looking commuter style bikes to €10K Trek bikes to Super73’s.

€5K would be my absolute limit but I don’t know which direction I should be looking in.

I came across Tenways a few days ago, watched a few reviews and the bikes seem really good. 

Newbie question: why do Trek equivalents cost several thousand euro more than an €1,800 Tenways? Is it just way better components etc?

What would you recommend? I also want to keep this bike for years (if that’s possible) so I’m happy to spend a premium if it guarantees good quality and service.

In terms of bike style/design, I’m completely open to anything (whether that’s step through or step over etc). 

When it comes to components etc I’m literally clueless so I’d really appreciate if someone could direct me towards a few good options.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Hi there, had a quick look on Google maps, is that the CV-736 route you`re talking about? If so i`d rule out that Tenways immediately, a weak hub motor and an equally weak battery. Seems thats a stiff trek over the hills there so look for a Haibike/Cube/Raleigh etc with a crank (mid mounted) motor and purchase the highest capacity battery available to go with it.

At the end of the day see whats available locally and try one out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You'll do more or less the same amount of pedaling on an ebike the only difference is that you'll have the motor doing most of the work getting you up to speed.

Is your knee aggravated by the force on your knee or from the repetitive motion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bellie1

I wish I knew. Alot of hills alright so it'll make that bit easier. I don't use gears as much as I could so maybe it's the force. Interesting that same amount of pedalling, it's more like pedalling on flat all the time then?

Yeah it will be closer to pedaling on the flat but gears are still necessary. I pedal at a higher cadence (90rpm) in an easier gear so I'm never pushing too hard on the pedals, changing gears regularly whenever I feel myself having to work a little bit harder. Don't be afraid to go down one gear, pedal a bit faster to go the same speed. It will be easier on the knees as you're not pushing as hard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My RadRhino was delivered to the house about 30 seconds after i left for work this morning!

SICKENER!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hope you've had a chance to play on it since Eeloe! :D

I have a stupid question - I'm looking to get a spare battery for a Kuma K1/Eskuta 250. The supplied one looks like this -

- but the branded replacements are expensive as hell and I'm pretty sure what they're mostly charging you for is the weird enclosure.

Can I just get any Li-on battery that has the same voltage, lots more AH, and fits the space? And just pad it so it doesn't rattle around?

Or failing that, anyone know somewhere I can get one of those for less than 500 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@jill_valentine - the general answer to that is yes you can get any battery of the same nominal voltage. But you might have to alter the connections between the battery and the controller / charger. I've never bought an eBike battery, I just make them myself or buy cheap as chips made up small hoverboard batteries that I combine in series and or parallel

• Advertisement

Yeah batteries are bloody expensive, I think the one for my ebike is around €500.

My previous one (long range) cost me €100. My current one with the much safer LiFePo4 chemistry cost me €50 (shorter range)

Thanks a million!

Not to be a total cavewoman, but is there a thread here anywhere with dos and donts about this kind of battery building? My incoming ebike is purely a recreational toy, so being able to extend the range with spares without spending a fortune would be a really lovely bonus.

If you want to get into battery building, here are a couple of good channels for beginners:

Legend. Greatly appreciated, I might come back to ye with more specific questions at some stage. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kdevo

I got a Super73 RX two weeks ago. I've been on it every second I get. Commute to work, getting into and around town, out on trails... Looks great and really comfortable. A bit on the expensive side but it's bought now and I'm really happy with it! Was great cruising round town on it when the sun came out last week.. Could do with more of that!

They are very, very nice bikes. Do you mind me asking how much it came to, and was it stocked by a shop here? What kind of range are you getting from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Their legality is a bit questionable given the ability to have above 25kph speed limit notwithstanding the website saying only to use the other modes on PRIVATE LAND - if they're capable of the higher limits they're not legal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭al87987

Bought the Engwe Engine Pro for 1,420 and then got just under half that off with the bike2work scheme.

Bought online as couldn't find them being sold in shops in ireland.

https://www.pogocycles.com/products/engwe-engine-pro-folding-electric-bike

A little hassle with assembly but up and running now.

I love it and would recommend to all.

I would say not road legal but I've been on it for a month and no issues there so far.

It was €4600 including shipping! (lots of overtime) I got €100 off using a code from someone on Youtube. Its a lot for a bike but its done now😂 I got it from Super73 European website based in Holland. I get 40mile range on full power and they say 75mile using eco mode! I've 250 miles done in two weeks👍

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm careful around town and into work... I use it mainly on the canal greenway where there's no cars or not many pedestrian's. I went 30 miles there the other day and only met one lad out running. The bike is street legal as long as you have it in the right mode.. The guards had a big wave for me yesterday

That bike is not street legal, Kdevo. You can only use it on private land with the owner's permission (so not on canal paths either). You can use it on the public road, but you will need a driving license, motor tax and insurance.

Andy Kirby did all that with a similar bike in the UK. It's doable.

Has anyone insured an ebike stored outdoors? Any recommendations for providers, or are they much for muchness?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have mine insured on my house insurance. I had to specify it, and they had to approve the amount, but it's fully covered (less the excess, obv).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's covered outdoors? how much did you pay?

i've found bike insurance to be horrifically expensive if paying for theft from a public place; and from what i can see, theft from your own garden (i.e. open to the air) would fall into this category. we have our bikes insured under contents insurance, but they must be in a locked shed or garage to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's stored outside in a locked back yard. Can't remember if they asked specifically about that, but I made sure it was covered for theft from anywhere outside the house and that was agreed.

I got quotes from the dedicated bike insurers and they were mad prices. Even with the excess, if i manage not to have it stolen for a couple of years I'll be better off.

Yeah, see I'm in a small apartment block and I don't have anywhere enclosed and wouldn't be able to bring it inside, is the killer.

I'm planning on investing in some almighty locks and chains and putting a motorbike style anchor into the pavement to secure it to, but that's the main reason I'd want it insured, so if I can't get it covered for outside storage, there's no point.

It should be covered for theft under your home insurance automatically if the bike is up to a certain value. If high value, you will need to specify the item on your home insurance and then you could even have it covered for all risks (so say stolen in the city centre or even on a cycling trip abroad). Check with your insurer and get it in writing though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

last time i asked about insuring bikes for theft outside the house, it was over 15 years ago; i had two bikes worth approx €3k in total. to have them insured for theft outside the house more than doubled the insurance quote, from about €400 to over €800.

Advertisement