Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my Diet - Trying to gain weight

Options
  • 22-07-2019 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

At 27 years old, 174cm and 58kg I find it extremely hard to put on weight of any kind.

In the last 5 months or so, I've gone from pretty much no exercise to Running, swimming, fitness classes as many times a week as I am able for and I can see that I am getting fitter week by week.

For me, the most difficult part is trying to sort out my diet and reach enough calories each day.

I have a very poor appetite in the morning. Food and the thoughts of it makes me feel nauseous before 11am. This is compounded if I am in any way tired , stressed or hungover etc.
    This improves slightly during the day but not by a whole lot

I keep track of my food intake on the MyFitnessPal app and here was the day where i racked up the most amount of calories :

WyQCMXduze72cONe--keTSDLSTbTDFPb1oPXVeP3Z9sJZz0eVVUlc2ZMOoX4zmQ35_XvP9kGX0eJIpeU-yaNTJJ7XGOdirwhUZQVEKj9QV1Ll0ooaimbW24zXZqJ3YXIFL2OfgHOMg=w441-h765-no

After eating all this, I was wrecked, felt generally ill/sluggish, found it hard to sleep and I couldn't face it two days of it in a row. I also find eating like this messes with my gut health.

Opinions and comments welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Your breakfast seems to lack nutrition and is a bit on the processed side. There is no rule that you have to eat 3 or more times a day , if breakfast doesnt float your boat combine it with lunch or at least have something like an omelette/scrambled egg (can add veg/smoked salmon etc) or simply have a couple of boiled eggs. Your dinner seems a little anemic if you are trying to put on weight , eat some steak man! :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Don't eat breakfast if you don't want to. Drink milk, snack on nuts, add more protein to your dinner.

Do strength work if you want to put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Blitz up a smoothie for breakfast, oats, banana, berries, nuts or peanut butter, whey protein if you have it, use water or milk.

Great way to add calories to gain weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

15g of brazil nuts is only 3-4 nuts - could definitely be ramped up or combined with a similar size serving of other mixed nuts - or nut butters if you prefer. Graze on a 100g bag throughout the day, a few here and there, and that's 600-700 calories

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had to stop drinking milk to loose weight, I love the stuff. If your trying to gain some maybe hit the milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Buy enough weed to last 3 months and download the just-eat app

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

silverharp wrote: »
    There is no rule that you have to eat 3 or more times a day , if breakfast doesnt float your boat combine it with lunch

He doesn’t need to eat breakfast, but if he is struggling with big meals, combining 2 meals into one is going to make it harder.
    SharpShoot wrote: »
    At 27 years old, 174cm and 58kg I find it extremely hard to put on weight of any kind.

In the last 5 months or so, I've gone from pretty much no exercise to Running, swimming, fitness classes as many times a week as I am able for and I can see that I am getting fitter week by week.

That’s great for fitness, but what are you doing to put on mass/weight? You need to be doing some sort of resistance work
    Also, doing excess cardio just means you’ll need to eat more. I’d be limiting cardio and focusing on resistence if you struggle with eating.

Depending on activity you need 2200-2400 to break even. To gain, you need to be ailing higher (or cut down on energy used).

Breakfast is very processed and high card, but the calories are there. Seems like an easy 700 cals tbh.

Lunch is good imo.

Dinner is lacking compared to the other two. Add another 250-300 cals here (especially if you trained after lunch) .Gravy or another sauce is easy calories.
    Aim to ear BMR over 3 meals. That means 700-800 a meal. If you prefer make it 4 meals of 550-600

Snack also lacking. If your meals are your BMR, your snacks are your gains.
    Have a glass of milk over water, more nuts (nut butter is better than whole nuts). Go for high energy snacks. A glass of milk is with multiple apples.

Advertisement