Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnival Row (Amazon Prime Video)

Options
  • 20-07-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭

CRNY_S1_00805_PR_1280x720_RFINRY_Disapproving_02-99d15fe.jpg

Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne star in Carnival Row, a Victorian fantasy world filled with mythological immigrant creatures. Feared by humans, they are forbidden to live, love, or fly with freedom. But even in darkness, hope lives, as a human detective and a faerie rekindle a dangerous affair. The city's uneasy peace collapses when a string of murders reveals a monster no one could imagine.
    Releases in August 30th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

OK.. OK!

I haven't watched the trailer yet cos I said I'd do a quick google of who's involved!

WOW!

BRB, still reading!

Looks like Amazon have just thrown money at this... or maybe just used a good budget really well..

I don't know this universe but the combo-trailer gives me a feel for it.

I suppose, Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne should've been big enough hints but like, this has loads of names in it the cast and crew:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Row
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489974/fullcredits/

Yer man Jared Harris from Chernobyl is just one of the permanent cast!

Directors
    I'm not sure about the lead Director (Jon Amiel). He has past experience with Sevond Seconds, Marco Polo and Hemlock Grove which feel like a decent fit to the trailers:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000750/

They've also got the Director of Underworld: Blood Wars (Anna Foerster) so it feels like they'll be able to hit the world building well:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0283816/
    Anyone know outlander, were those good episodes?

Also the Director (Andy Goddard) who did first season of The Punisher episode where he interrogates Micro and has the Kandahar battle scene:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0323758/
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5690500/

Cast
    Ack! Don't look up the cast listing.. there may be a spoiler in how it's laid out.
    Like obviously I mentioned Orlando Bloom, Cara Delevingne and Jared Harris... but also names who've been involved in Star Trek, Interstellar, Annihilation, Rome and Game of Thrones

Tamzin Merchant was almost Daenerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones and was apparently in the series pilot:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamzin_Merchant

Indira Varma was Niobe in Rome. She married Lucius Vorenus:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0890055/

Writers
    They've got René Echevarria who has Star Trek experience:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0248404/
    He had involvement with All Good Things!
    Many DS9 resistance episodes too.

and somehow Guillermo del Toro got involved with the first episode:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868219/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I couldn't imagine a less charismatic duo of leads than Bloom and Delevingne, but that trailer looks properly impressive. Very epic in scope and execution, though I'm not sure I could sit through an entire season of laboured slavery / race metaphors - presumably with humans being the greatest monsters of all (gasp!)

Between this and The Witcher, you really see Netflix and Amazon ramping up the budgets and their intention towards 'blockbuster' TV - with other adaptations like Tolien & The Culture still to come from the latter. Hard to see how many 'traditional' networks can remotely compete.

Is it them fighting it out or having a like an immune system reaction to Disney+ entering the streaming ecosystem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slydice wrote: »
    Is it them fighting it out or having a like an immune system reaction to Disney+ entering the streaming ecosystem?

I would say the latter: Disney (and, maybe Apple?) are potential big rivals to eat into their respective market shares & while I'd say Netflix & Amazon were happy to be the Big Two, those new arrivals really shake things up. Disney are steaming in with the two biggest franchise in cinema with Star Wars & the MCU.

The number of IPs Amazon has scooped up in the last 12 months alone has been eye-watering (not just ONE major Fantasy franchise, but TWO with both Middle Earth and Wheel of Time), while Netflix seem to be doing their own trawl of niche or cult comic studios.

HBO have also left the mark of course, with their run of 'prestige' TV and maybe with GoT finishing the services are trying to carve out their own "viral", blockbuster TV sensation.

Could have done with paying for some better leads mind you - though Delevingne's mock Irish accent isn't entirely awful, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Already renewed for a second season

A lot of these genre shows seem to be getting preemptive renweals; wonder how these streaming services work that decision out. Social media enthusiasm maybe, or do they have test screenings themselves.

pixelburp wrote: »
    A lot of these genre shows seem to be getting preemptive renewables; wonder how these streaming services work that decision out. Social media enthusiasm maybe, or do they have test screenings themselves.

I wonder if it's so filming can start sooner meaning less gap between seasons. Would make sense for The Expanse as its not airing until December but they could had waited a month for Carnival Row to air

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Reminds me of Penny Dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, I was thinking Ripper Street meets Bright (me being prone to lazy analogies), but Penny Dreadful works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Looks great. Jared Harris is in it, so very promising. But...Cara Delevingne, 👎- maybe, hopefully, she will surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I didn't like that trailer and my expectations have been dampened somewhat again... I don't know if it was the choice of music or what, but it just set a completely different tone to the earlier trailer I had seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Got to say I didn't like that trailer at all.

Cara Delevingne is just so off putting whenever she is on screen.

See, if you are going to tell a "forbidden love" story in a grim land, you absolutely, 100%, gotta hire some charismatic leads with chemistry and energy the audience will root for.

So first step, you DON'T hire Cara Delevingne & Orlando Bloom to fulfill these roles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

pixelburp wrote: »
    See, if you are going to tell a "forbidden love" story in a grim land, you absolutely, 100%, gotta hire some charismatic leads with chemistry and energy the audience will root for.

So first step, you DON'T hire Cara Delevingne & Orlando Bloom to fulfill these roles.
    Looks like Cara Delevingne's trying to do an irish accent in this ...that is ....not good.

Irish Accents ain't bad by standard of American tv shows trying to do Irish Accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Cara Delevingne isn't as bad as she's made out to be but she doesn't really do great with lead roles. For example even though her acting was reasonable in that Luc Benson sci-fi abomination recently, she just didn't have the charisma to really pull it off. This looks OK, reminds me of Penny Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This dropped today andy chance it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Five episodes in. It's good, Something different.

1:
    Some Dark God!
    :eek:

What's with the Magical Headshots with every weapon?
    Old muskets and like even a hammer
    .. really?

2: Real hard no to think it's not going to be some reference to
    Cthulhu down in the sewers

Anyway.. A bullet that missed! :eek:

3: Oh :(

Well, that's a bit of backstory. Explains the headshots (someone mentioned
    sharpshooters
    I think)

I get the feeling the Pact will be coming for the Burgue at some point.
    An airships battle might be cool.

I wonder did they ever consider using parts of this episode for the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched an episode and a half this morning, but found it too slow, and a bit clunky- acting wasn't great either. Though the scenery is generally very dark, it's shot nicely enough. The world-building in it is good though.

4: Fyckin ell. A lot happened in that episode the more I think about it. A lot of messed up stuff.

I know René Echevarria produced Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and The 4400 and it feels like there's an influence of combining many stories together like they did here. It's only episode 4!

Anyway.. the episode..

I can't see the
    Vignette and Philo split lasting
    but who knows.. Those
    Ravens have dropped a lot of bodies but I guess they feel safe once they only do Fae

Also:
    not Cthulhu! just a Gholem!
    Alright then.

5: I.. I didn't see it coming. Well done show!
    Like.. now that they shown us she's his mother, it makes sense but I didn't even think they were going in that direction with the story. All kinda makes sense now.

A bit during this episode reminded me a little of how complex the boardwalk empire story was. This ending felt different though.

6: Right, someone else is gonna
    have to die for him to get released. He's probably out of the police either way though.

Actually now that I think of it,
    that's him and Vignette both in Jail. Who's this gonna come down to?
    It's hardly gonna be something with the Breakspear and Longerbane kids, is it?
    Maybe an attack by the Pact?

7: Hrrrrmmmm... hrmm hrmm hrmm
    He's
    hardly the Dad is he?

Another thing that came to mind is that we saw that the
    witch knows she'll be killed. She also mentioned that the Darkasher could share eyes with it's owner. His Darkasher is in a Jar in her shop. Maybe when she is killed, he'll see who did it. This came to mind as I watched him with the hood over his head in the carriage.

For the overall plot.. I dunno.. Maybe it's
    just the Darkasher this season.

• Advertisement

Just two episodes in, okay so far. A lot of the scenery and some of the music is very reminiscent of the Dishonored games.

Advertisement