Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forty families on Dublin housing list given keys to new homes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Great to see another 40 families get a home and some sense of security. A small drop in the ocean but a drop none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

There is nothing in that article to say anyone was bumped up the list. They could have been on the list for years before ending up in a hotel.

Good luck to them in their new homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Are we supposed to be outraged at something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Ye where's my free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Riaukaite is a Lithuanian name. I am curious as to whether an Irish person would get the keys to a new house in Vilnius?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

seasidedub wrote: »
    Riaukaite is a Lithuanian name. I am curious as to whether an Irish person would get the keys to a new house in Vilnius?

What is in a name? My surname is not Irish yet I was born here over 50 years ago.

Plenty of Irish people with names like Murphy, Ryan, O'Brien have also married people from other countries in the last twenty years or so.

Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She's just done her Leaving Cert and who knows what her story is. At least celebrate the fact that 40 families have been housed before you go off on de furriners.

Well, social security in the EU is a reciprocal affair, so if you want to learn Lithuanian and make the move, you're welcome to! Do update us along the way:pac:

Qrt wrote: »
    Well, social security in the EU is a reciprocal affair, so if you want to learn Lithuanian and make the move, you're welcome to! Do update us along the way:pac:
    Vilnius is a lovely place and full of friendly people!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If they were born there maybe they would. Which they could have been.

Only houses for those with Irish surnames,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

But would they give you a free house where a lot of people would love to live and pay a fortune to?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Is there an alternative resolution on the table?

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

But would they give you a free house where a lot of people would love to live and pay a fortune to?????
    Maybe they would. Have you checked?

Proper Irish surnames mind , no double-barrel affairs.

I guess we should evict all the Smiths so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Why don't you go over and let us know how it goes for you? Think of this scenario. I saw that woman and her daughter on the news earlier. They're given 8 weeks notice to move out by landlord who is selling. If they don't know anyone else who can help them with accommodation, or maybe they don't have any friends they can ask, then they're homeless.
    It happened me, but luckily found somewhere to live in time. So I don't begrudge them their house. Maybe they took a chance and knew if they went homeless/to a hotel, they'd have a chance of getting a place down the line. But who knows.
    Hopefully I'll never have to move to Dublin again for a job.

Absolutely. Free houses for everyone.

I simply asked a question.

I used to work abroad and lots of Bosnians came to work in the country I was in, and lots of them in the place I worked. They generally gotvsocial housing as they tended to be lower earners. But many of them were open about the fact that they had houses (often huge) or were building ones in Bosnia. It pissed off my local co workers no end that they got free flats but had literal mansions "back home" and felt that foreign real estate should be sold before you were entitled to social housing

If they can't cook a shoulder of bacon, they're out.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

If you're implying that the Irish social housing system is in any way over-generous, then I suggest you get out more.

Or at least visit some mainland European cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Why has this turned into a country of origin issue here?

The point is we were told if you go into emergency accommodation you won’t get a house quickly.

• Advertisement

And yeah, I'll ask about that free house and I know what the answer will be.

I used to work abroad and lots of Bosnians came to work in the country I was in, and lots of them in the place I worked. They generally gotvsocial housing as they tended to be lower earners. But many of them were open about the fact that they had houses (often huge) or were building ones in Bosnia. It pissed off my local co workers no end that they got free flats but had literal mansions "back home" and felt that foreign real estate should be sold before you were entitled to social housing

Absolutely.

Under no circumstances should anyone be given state funded accomodation, if they own property elsewhere.

Except when they may be in middle of a war zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lola85 wrote: »

The point is we were told if you go into emergency accommodation you won’t get a house quickly.

But where does say they got it quickly ? They could be years on the housing list

Your local co workers should read of what they went through in Bosnia and maybe they wouldn’t be so stupid to be jealous of them and why they had to leave.

How do you know what mansions they had in Bosnia or what the reasons they couldn't sell or go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

lola85 wrote:
    I thought if you’re in emergency accommodation you don’t get bumped up the list???????

I hear what you say but it is possible that they have been on the housing list for years but only homeless for the last year.

Maybe being homeless bumped them up on the list and maybe it didn't. There is nothing in the link provided to suggest that they got bumped up

And yeah, I'll ask about that free house and I know what the answer will be.

It's not our fault you're paying half your salary on a damp-ridden apartment, or bought a pyrite-struck house at an inflated price purely due to the neoliberal notion that housing isn't a basic human requirement.

Because it's either the fault of foreigners or the Irish working class that is the villan. On every thread without fail. One or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I have no idea how they organize social housing in Lithuania.
    Here, you make a paper application to be considered “in need of housing”. It doesn’t matter what nationality you are as long as you are legally entitled to live in Ireland.
    Then there’s a means test too.
    If they decide that for your family size and circumstances and financial position that you are in fact “in need of housing” they will add you to the housing list and you will move up (or not)in a strict “points” system.
    Being Irish doesn’t get you any more points.
    That would be racist.

GooglePlus wrote: »

Absolutely.

Under no circumstances should anyone be given state funded accomodation, if they own property elsewhere.

The Bosnian war was well over in the time period I refer to. They were driving home every weekend to amazing looking houses (saw loads of photos)

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »

Absolutely.

The Bosnian war was well over in the time period I refer to. They were driving home every weekend to amazing looking houses (saw loads of photos)
    Yeah and free buggies at every bus stop

Coming from another region or background, strolling onto our patch and taking what is rightfully ours.

I'm so angry, I could almost shout from the tree tops!

But ok, if I sounded mean spirited I apologise, I'm just being honest when I say I have reservations based on experience about non nationals being given social houses which lets face it, are for life. And they absolutely should not be able to hold on to them if they retire to their home countries, which was happening in the UK - they were renting them out.

Otherwise, I accept people must have housing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I want photos so I can rant at brown people too.

So no ranting about forever homes or Margaret cash or the general scumbagery of the Irish working class today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/forty-families-on-dublin-housing-list-given-keys-to-new-homes-937843.html?fbclid=IwAR0eb6oleN4-4F527QemRhpzw3mVjyWdH33shaqLN6OSOBVBUy0HPpqL20k

Some of the householders are coming from homelessness and emergency accommodation.

One of those to move into a new home was 17-year-old Gabi Riaukaite.

She and her family spent the last year living in a hotel.

I thought if you’re in emergency accommodation you don’t get bumped up the list???????

Fantastic news this. We need to ramp up house building for our societies less fortunate though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

So no ranting about forever homes or Margaret cash or the general scumbagery of the Irish working class today...

What's wrong with the Irish working class? I'm working class as are the majority of my family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Forty families. Fantastic news. Make it another 40000 or even more and I'll be happy. Families getting social housing should be celebrated. And there should be a lot more of it extending into higher income thresholds.

Any nonsense argument about who get what's first or where is that person born just deflects from the appalling housing policy this electorate has had to endure. It's actually frightening how useless they are at just getting houses built.

Will you stop, it's the minority of foreign people in social housing that are the problem.

I don't like der different wayz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

But ok, if I sounded mean spirited I apologise, I'm just being honest when I say I have reservations based on experience about non nationals being given social houses which lets face it, are for life. And they absolutely should not be able to hold on to them if they retire to their home countries, which was happening in the UK - they were renting them out.

This is very odd, you're the one who posted about the richest area in Helsinki as "the average place" to live in, which you were caught misleading everyone on the Accommodation forum and here you are giving out about the lower class plebs getting accommodation. Snobbery at it's finest.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Forty families. Fantastic news. Make it another 40000 or even more and I'll be happy. Families getting social housing should be celebrated. And there should be a lot more of it extending into higher income thresholds.

Any nonsense argument about who get what's first or where is that person born just deflects from the appalling housing policy this electorate has had to endure. It's actually frightening how useless they are at just getting houses built.

40,000 houses would cost approx 120 billion.

Can you tell me where the money will come from?

What an interesting idea.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote:
    40,000 houses would cost approx 32 billion.

'Approx 32 billion' where did you get that figure from?

'Approx 32 billion' where did you get that figure from?

300,000 X 40,000.

How much do you think 40,000 social houses would cost to build?

klaaaz wrote: »

This is very odd, you're the one who posted about the richest area in Helsinki as "the average place" to live in, which you were caught misleading everyone on the Accommodation forum and here you are giving out about the lower class plebs getting accommodation. Snobbery at it's finest.

I never described Westend as average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ollkiller wrote: »

40,000 houses would cost approx 120 billion.

Can you tell me where the money will come from?

What an interesting idea.
    I need to get into the building game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

300,000 X 40,000.

Housing crisis is cancelled, Ebola on the way :

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/17-07-2019-ebola-outbreak-in-the-democratic-republic-of-the-congo-declared-a-public-health-emergency-of-international-concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

300,000 X 40,000.

If the government were to build 3 bed terraced houses on land that they own, it'd cost roughly 165k per house https://www.thejournal.ie/social-housing-ireland-cost-of-state-private-building-2888760-Jul2016/

To note as well, not all of the buildings would have to be 3 bed terraced houses, 2 bed houses would suffice for a lot of people and would reduce the cost even further. Or apartments.

300,000 X 40,000.

Well, 12 billion going by that maths but that would be retail.

lola85 wrote:

You said approx, do you believe if 40,000 social houses were built throughout the country each and everyone would cost 300k? Do you seriously believe serviced land in Leitrim/Roscommon costs the same as Dublin /Wicklow for example.

If the government were to build 3 bed terraced houses on land that they own, it'd cost roughly 165k per house https://www.thejournal.ie/social-housing-ireland-cost-of-state-private-building-2888760-Jul2016/

To note as well, not all of the buildings would have to be 3 bed terraced houses, 2 bed houses would suffice for a lot of people and would reduce the cost even further. Or apartments.

Ok So 165X 40,000.

60 billion

Where will the money come from?

The magic money tree no doubt.

You said approx, do you believe if 40,000 social houses were built throughout the country each and everyone would cost 300k? Do you seriously believe serviced land in Leitrim/Roscommon costs the same as Dublin /Wicklow for example.

You tell me how much so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement