Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Subscribers Posts: 40,993 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you think she looked "vulnerable" in her knickers??

i dont think she was portrayed as vulnerable at any point in the show at all?? in fact the opposite was explicitly expressed

Yeah it's like saying that Reacher was vulnerable in his jocks, at prison intake.

She was constantly shown as more than capable, even when cuffed to the railing she was just waiting for her chance to act

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I just think it was unnecessary. The token knickers scene and subsequent booby shot.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,993 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

meh, its generally an 18+rated show. theres plenty of male nudity including male genitalia, plus a titty bar scene. reacher gets his top off as often as he can :)

i dont think a quick boob shot in a love scene in a shower is much to make a deal of to be honest.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

In several (perhaps all?) of the books, there is a romance element to the story line so not surprised to see the shower scene in the series.

Wasn't it all very deliberately post-me-too compliant with her being the sexual initiator by following him into the shower?

As opposed to the old movie / tv days where it might be a slap to the face and a forced kiss to follow to kick things off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Well I hope Reacher has his top off many a time in season 2, showers, cars or prisons, I enjoyed them all. He’s an absolute beast of a man and I’d happily share a shower! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

Must check that one out.... purely for research purposes.

• Advertisement

Some may like it - plenty of gratuitous tits and ass with some hot women and lots of equally gratuitous violence but really let down imo by pretty crap main plot continuation storylines and equally bad episode storylines that jump all over the place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Banshee is unreal, you’re in for a treat if you haven’t watched it. The banshee prison scene makes teacher look like paw patrol.

eh I was talking about Banshee there in response to another poster - not Reacher.

you might have lost the context of the thread there I suspect.

My summary on Reacher from a page or two back was as follows ->

It's perfectly grand inconsequential popcorn stuff to buzz through like the Amazon Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series - very much in the same mould as that really.

Not surprised to see some of the same production companies in common across both series.

You sure don't have a finger on the pulse of the average viewing Audience member...but I and I suspect the Actors themselves would agree.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sorry!! I misunderstood. Haven't even heard of Banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any chance to praise Banshee is always good. When I recommend it I suggest to give it at least 3 episodes as you have an idea of the content by then. Also some of the best fight scenes. Warrior is great as well.

Anyway, for Reacher, while they say they haven't decided on the next book to adapt yet, I wonder if production can run smoother now or will COVID restrictions still be in place on set by the time they're filming, which I'm sure can slow things down. Either way it'll be next year by the time the next one releases, but hopefully still be around the same time.

Problem now is they renewed it so quickly due to its success, and seems the successful (or expensive) series are the ones they choose to release weekly, like The Boys going from all at once for season 1 to weekly. Hopefully not as it worked well when we could binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

As I expected, the lead actor isn't very good. He could barely even jump over a 3 foot fence in one scene cause of his muscles 🤣

Overall, the show is kind of on a par with the MacGyver and Magnum reboots.

The Bentley is manky looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

watched it all over the last few days. Really enjoyed it. Have not read the books, but sort of enjoyed the Tom Cruise film versions.

• Advertisement

Cruise's first film was a very enjoyable flick but not a Reacher film in look or tone. Never see the point of adapting something and then changing key points of the source.

Why not just create a new IP?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Boring as anything to watch and poor acting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Loved it and sad it’s over

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first Jack Reacher film was noteworthy in being written & directed by Christopher McQuarrie ... who then found himself writing and directing the next 4 Mission Impossible movies from 2015 onwards. That series is also produced by Cruise, so without googling I'd reckon the two hit it off, the actor persuading McQuarrie to join him in the MI franchise. So if nothing else, we can thank 2012's Jacker Reacher for putting together a combination that has given us some of the best modern Hollywood action movies.

Whatever about Cruise's physical suitability for the role, the film itself was a very "old-fashioned" detective thriller; with a lo-fi, stripped down car chase that presumably sold McQuarrie to Cruise as an excellent director of action. It was a fantastic chase that made the film worth checking out. The sequel was ... just kinda awful, in a deeply bland fashion. The budget, scale and overall energy felt much lower than the first film's.

Rave reviews & gold stars on IMDB and Rotten tomatoes. Hardly surprising I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was really enjoying the series up until the last episode when it jumped the shark.

The finding Hubble plot was ludicrous and completely unecessary.

Why didnt Reacher just track down Hubble earlier if it was so easy, he'd solve the case in minutes, I suppose he thought he was dead.

Why was Findlay locked up in the police station, why wasn't he killed ?

Why wasnt Reacher killed too, Hubble was hardly a priority.

The bad guys all waiting in the warehouse , did any of them think of ringing Picard to see what was happening.

Speaking of Picard, he just showed up at the end out of nowhere, would he not have rang ahead to say Reacher had escaped.

Then we get a number of lopsided face offs, Picard vs Findlay, Roscoe vs Teale and Reacher vs Kliner Jnr.

Excellent first 7 episodes but a stinker of a finale.

The one thing that bugged me was the one guy that nearly killed him was a scrawny little fella. Reacher knocked out 5 tough prisoners no problem, but that little weedy cousin nearly took him out. They should have had a bigger opponent.

It was ludicrous, Reacher had easily swatted away that same character earlier in the series, that guy would have been no match for him even with the crowbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not familiar with the site but reports of season 2 being mainly based on book 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2 episodes to go and this has been a blast. If the books were airport novels, the show has been whatever you could call that TV equivalent (though given you can easily watch Amazon in the airport, maybe Airport TV works too lol). Easy to watch, no fuss, charming. It's total nonsense but enjoyable nonsense.

Very easy to get the tone or structure of something like this dead wrong, but somehow it has sat perfectly in that sweet spot of cliché pot boilers. Never too earnest, never too winking, never too goofy. The town mayor is the closest the show has come to farce, with his big Boss Hogg performance, but he's such a toad it was easy to look beyond it.

The thing with the mayor is that's just Bruce McGill. He's been hired to play that exact southern stereotype on numerous occasions. You see him appear in a southern small town show and it's coming

• Advertisement

That may be, but it has been the one performance that has sometimes floated the wrong side of it all being a cartoon. Everyone else has been on the money.

Advertisement