Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Reacher Series (Amazon)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It is very much a turn off your brain show. And the guy who's playing Reacher, whose name I keep forgetting, is a terrible actor. But I'll still watch every season. There's a place for stupid entertainment in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

It’s fantastic tv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Im waiting for my son to catch up with the first season so we can watch the 2nd together, its funny though that this is more popular than Amazon's flagship Rings of Power ....oof!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's pretty standard execution for a US show. They don't trust the audience to understand the SHOW, so they feel they have to give the TELL as well.

It's all a bit silly, but it's enjoyable silly, so I'm happy to go along with it. I think Ritchson's doing a grand job, it may not be the most demanding job, but Reacher is definitely a consistent character. There's something good about knowing what you're going to get, and then getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was that nit about the finding the safe house at the start, it went on a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyable finale. Maybe a bit top heavy in terms of action (the last 20 minutes were for closure) but it was great.

I loved how ...

... inconsequential the English guy was in the end. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reacher did well to

sell the bonds and make all those arrangements in what I assume was maybe a day or less.

And he says he didn't need anything, just getting the pass, but where does he have all the leftover money. I assume there's some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It was a satisfying ending, albeit a bit neat but then the books always go that way. It's just a fun series, not to be taken too seriously. I'll happily watch more in future and it seems to be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

I preferred season one as it was ever so slightly more nuanced ! Brilliant tv

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Cruise's Reacher was more cerebral than this one and this season wasn't as good as series 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just finished the second season there- very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Absolutely ridiculous watching. Classic Reacher. Looking forward to S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The entire helicopter scene was outrageous. Classic Reacher! Thoroughly enjoyable mindless entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,153 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was OK.

But it should have been the final season, of a few. Where we got to know the other characters individually through other seasons and this was the one that brought them all together and gave them a sort of happy send off. Don't feel it worked as a second season, with more to come.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i hope the third season brings it back to the "lonely wanderer comes a cross a town done wrong" type story like the original season. This season had too many characters and suffered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,187 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Enjoyable enough, but not on a par with the first season at all.

It must have been intentional but I found the character of Reacher to be played very differently in this one. Season one he had his odd ways but he still had some humour and wit, and was able to interact with human beings. This series it was nothing but robotic blank stares every time somebody spoke to him.

The problem being of course that he is in a team with all his closest friends, and we are told that they all idolise him and would do anything for him. But at no point do we get to see why. He barely answers them if they ask a question, just stares blankly if they make a comment, he gives them nothing. Its a complete failure of "show don't tell".

I know his friends were killed and he is supposed to be angry, but the season 1 Reacher had personality, this one is just a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Jumped the shark for me. Way over the top but I will be back for Season 3. sucker for mindless, mindless fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm a massive fans of the books, hated the movies simply because Tom Cruise is way too small, really enjoyed season 1 but season 2, meh, too much "team work" and the fact that they are just leaving bodies everywhere with no backlash, I mean killing an unarmed senior police office who was pinned to the wall and not having to go down to the station at least, come on. That and being able to transfer barer bonds to cash so quickly, jumped the shark but I'll watch season 3, this season had too much filler for me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Wasn't as good as the first season but it's the type of show that could have another really good season up it's sleeve.

As others have mentioned, too many characters were present to allow for a streamlined narrative and the protagonist group never felt like they were in any grave danger until the very end of the story but even then it's not a show that sacrifices characters of that type so there was little sense of danger.

Difficult second album vibes but there were still some fun set pieces.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed both seasons. Both were slightly different. Season One was more fun season two when it got going certainly had more action but was more stupid too. Hopefully season 3 will get back to being more fun again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I stopped after a few episodes of season 2 and caught back up over the last 2 days. All I'll say is its astonishing how the level can drop from season 1 to 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Yeah, could have done with another season or two, before a wholesale introduction of the full Special Investigations Unit team.

A lot of different ways if could have happened too. The flashbacks to the SIU could have culminated in the news that two of them had died as a part of a S3 teaser or something. It was too many faces who were already familiar with each other far too quickly.

Otherwise, plenty of silly entertainment, one-liners and general badassery. It's not great. It's pretty formulaic, but it executes that formula well so I'll stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

Series 1 was great, Series 2 definitely dropped the ball but I still enjoyed it for what it is. Looking forward to more.

Beats 100% of the awful stuff costing hundreds of millions out there.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think season 2 might have been better suited as season 5 if they had introduced a different member of the special investigators in season 2/3/4 we the audience might have had some more interest in them instead of being introduced to them cold like we were in season2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I am not sure, I liked the season more than I like other shows, so that is a plus for me.

I thought the finale was pants..

But in season 1 finale, he gets beaten up by 2 lads that had the physiques of cub scouts, also ridiculous.

Neagley was class in season 2 as she was in season 1.

so out of the new staff, it was Dixon and O'Donnell, we had to really put up with. Dixon was a bit of a pain to be honest. I liked O'Donnell.. family man with a deadly past.

but, the finale was pants... I hope the series producers take this to the writing pad... details matter, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

The special investigators only appeared to have one investigation, very strange

And the bus scene, what was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Loved it, Cheesey at times. Roll on next season

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Season 3 will adapt Book 7, Persuader.

More solo this time, though I'm sure we'll get one or two back, at least, in some capacity. One already confirmed as returning in the article.

Already filming so probably see it later this year. Maybe around December again. Not like this series has Marvel or Star Wars levels of post production with effects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've enjoyed the season but the team dynamic definitely doesn't suit Reacher as a character or show structure. It doesn't help that the team don't really feel all that especially unique or interesting in the first place. Or fleshed out either: they keep talking about what a player blondie guy was yet we never see it once?

I wonder why they chose that as the second swing instead of more Swollest Hobo adventures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've watched the first 3 episode of season 1 and have to say I find this one the most boring things I've ever watched. Maybe it's a case of it's just not my cup of tea.

Advertisement