Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest ever achievement of mankind?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

NoBrowne was never Taoiseach.

You are right, got it mixed up, he was minister for health.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nuyil simp

I'd go way back, language is pretty much a natural evolution, but writing is a big step forward from that. or even much further back; agriculture. moving from hunter-gatherers to planting seeds/ cultivating crops/ tending herds of animals, enabled the flourishing of civilizations..

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

I would say the greatest achievement is tied to our greatest failure.

Given the constant reminders of the existential threat caused by climate change I would put the ability of previous generations to lay down public transport infrastructure to be used by the masses in supposedly less well off times as remarkable.

Countries have since maintained and in some cases advanced this infrastructure such as bullet trains in Japan or high speed electrified trains throughout mainland Europe.

Here however we completely abandoned the train networks in favour of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

has yet to come... the future is an open unread book..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Writing must be one but for me it's mathematics it gave smart people the tools to understand and work out so much of our planet and the universe around it. I haven't the brain to understand a bit of it but physics and maths blows me away.

Imagine where we would be if we were taught properly in school, I was always told you could only things of the same type eg oranges and apples.

If you give "Mr Scientist" two Hydrogen atoms and one Oxygen atom he can make you a drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Air conditioning

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

The flugelbinder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Michelle Pfeiffer in the Fabulous baker boys

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's a frikking spoon and a fricking fork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Darwin's On the Origin of Species

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

Putting a man on the moon did nothing for man. It was to simply beat the Russians.
    And the Russians got most of the firsts when it came to space exploration.

With respect I disagree, the moon landings showed what the human race is capable of when it applies itself to a task. Where political will, rivalry, money, talent and ambition all come together to do something that was the stuff of dreams not long before.

It made us believe nothing is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Farming, everything else is a spin off, from strong bodies, larger brains, space travel, civilization etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

As mentioned a few times already, farming has been the big game changer in terms of changing from a nomadic species to being able to stay in one place, spend less time focusing on the provision of sustenance and develop arts and crafts, governance and communities and eventually maths and technology.

To distill things even further you could say that the humble foodstuff, bread, has been one of the most important catalysts in the advancement of the human race.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Splitting the atom

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Putting 1000 elastic bands on a watermelon to see if it pops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

jiltloop wrote: »
    As mentioned a few times already, farming has been the big game changer in terms of changing from a nomadic species to being able to stay in one place, spend less time focusing on the provision of sustenance and develop arts and crafts, governance and communities and eventually maths and technology.
    To distill things even further you could say that the humble foodstuff, bread, has been one of the most important catalysts in the advancement of the human race.

Lack of crop rotation and use of pesticides leaves plenty of room for improvement. Maybe vertical, soil-free farming, beside green-powered sesalination plants around Africa's coast will be the next thing.

Bread is interesing: basic, easy to make and stores fairly well. Think the great lateral 'out of the box' thinker 'DeBono' blamed lack of certain breads (specific nutrition defency) in a specific region of the middle east for all the agro over there.

Maybe all the lead in the water pipes, lack of sun (D3) and too much iron (celtic hemochromatosis) in the blood gave the celts their short fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Making nature redundant and changing the climate with co2.

Lack of crop rotation and use of pesticides leaves plenty of room for improvement. Maybe vertical, soil-free farming, beside green-powered sesalination plants around Africa's coast will be the next thing.

Bread is interesing: basic, easy to make and stores fairly well. Think the great lateral 'out of the box' thinker 'DeBono' blamed lack of certain breads (specific nutrition defency) in a specific region of the middle east for all the agro over there.

Maybe all the lead in the water pipes, lack of sun (D3) and too much iron (celtic hemochromatosis) in the blood gave the celts their short fuse.

I mentioned farming more in relation to the birth of ancient farming techniques allowing nomadic humans to harness nature and make their nomadic lifestyle redundant. Thus allowing them more time to be sedentary and begin the development of the skills and education that brought us to where we are today.

Obviously you have a point when you mention problems with modern farming and how it could be improved but that's a tangent that's not really relevant to this thread.

That's interesting what you mention about DeBono, I might read up on that and see what his reasoning was as it could be fascinating.

• Advertisement

jiltloop wrote: »
    That's interesting what you mention about DeBono, I might read up on that and see what his reasoning was as it could be fascinating.
    Nomadic folks are interesting, you could ask a Native Indian back in 1800's who's the happiest: him/her or some teenager up to their eyes in LoveIsland, caffine, fizzypop, twatter and instaselfies.
    The folks in Asia that still carry their Yurt huts, regard a house full of stuff and a big TV as a form of oppression. The Chinese may also feel this way once cashless RFID, 5G & FRS become the norm.

Still scientific progress shouldn't be shunned.

deBono is a great fellow (might live in Dublin now), gets some criticism from neckbeards, but sure so does every innovator from Musk to Jacque Fresco.
    He's a bit 'Marmite': https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/de-bonos-marmite-plan-for-peace-in-middle-yeast-740189.html

Some of the best achievements/inventions/discoveries are all still w-i-p.
    Be that graphite, 3DP, aerogel, ion-propulsion, cold fusion and so on. All already invented (or at breakthrough stage), but not fully deployed as yet.
    Application is everything (marketing too, as Telsa might say).

I'd say the nomads are the happiest for sure. I know which lifestyle I would opt for if there was a reset button!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

And going through the cell a few minutes later, incredible

giphy.gif

The second bump is so much worse, as it was unplanned, and he landed right on his shoulder on the hard mat, compared to the planned, "softer" landing, on the announce table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The second bump is so much worse, as it was unplanned, and he landed right on his shoulder on the hard mat, compared to the planned, "softer" landing, on the announce table.

Further to those two insane bumps there was his falling into thumbtacks.

4b3c4e0491cfc125605d4270a41627f19610ebd8_hq.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Maybe the human brain is the greatest ever achievement of Mankind??.We are living on a small planet near the edge of a galaxy,one of many in an immense universe, yet our scientists can tell us our position in this universe and explain how it all began with the Big Bang.
    And from the very big to the very small ,trying to make sense of quantum theory,splitting the atom etc,the human brain really is an incredible and unique (probably) marvel, a super computer before there were even such things as super computers. , what a piece is Man, how noble in reason,how infinite in faculty..........in apprehension how like a god....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The development of Quantum Mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

The greatest ever achievement, was to take the only 2 genders known to mankind and create multiple genders without actually changing anything.

kingchess wrote: »
    Maybe the human brain is the greatest ever achievement of Mankind??.
    The human brain is on the verge of getting 'hacked', just recently a blind chap has had his vision restored somewhat, thanks to a chip brain implant, fed visual data wirelessly from another chip on his exterior sunglasses.

H+ they call it (transhumanism), a bit different from 'T', perhaps another flag will have to get designed for such folks who get chips willingly implanted. Such as the 4,000 in Swe that have RFID hand implants rather than carry a wireless credit card, or cash.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Your Face wrote: »
    The Transistor

But would it have been the same without Jason Statham?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

When he climbed up on that cage and threw the undertaker right off

Advertisement