Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Things that grind my gears

  • 14-07-2019 7:49pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ Buddy97mm


    Ok not another thread about Dublin's unfair advantages, bad referees, off the ball incidents not seen, etc. but a couple of things over past weekends have really started to annoy:

    1. The fact that we now regularly see teams in on goal handpass to a teammate who pretty much scoops/throws the ball into the net, clearly without any striking action, yet it is never penalised. The Kerry goal today was one of the few I've seen actually punched to the net, yet the scooping that normally occurrs is never even questioned.

    2. The fact that if a kickout goes wrong or is lost, it is nearly always blamed on the goalkeeper. Today both David Clarke and Andy Colgan were criticised at length for their kickouts, yet what are they to do if the opposition shut down all options. Plus, given a lot of time is now spent on kickout tactics, frequently involving up to 3 or 4 players making various runs, if one of these outfield players doesn't do what they are supposed to do, and say the kickout into space, where this player is supposed to be, and then goes straight over the sideline, the keeper is again blamed. Today, the kickout is a key complex area, and for me the blaming of the keeper if it goes wrong is a huge over-simplification.


«13456

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ Pigeon Chaser


    Fisted points in football. They are absolutely pathetic, and a total cop out. Similar to the OP's point. Scores should not be permitted by the hand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ Fr Tod Umptious


    Fisted points in football. They are absolutely pathetic, and a total cop out. Similar to the OP's point. Scores should not be permitted by the hand.

    Totally and utterly disagree

    They are the sign of smart play

    I recall a Leinster game between Meath and Westmeath a few years back
    Westmeath a point up in injury time.
    Meath on the attack go for a goal when a fisted point was on to level the game and bringa replay/ET, ball is blocked or something, Westmeath race down the field and score a goal, game over.
    The smart move would have been to take the fisted point

    Moanghan v Kerry QF 2007, Kerry under the cosh all day, scores level very late, Marc O' Shea goes down the left wing, pops over a fisted point, puts a dagger in the Monaghan heart, game over.

    Now there are times where I don't think t's a good option
    Fergal Boland fisted over 2 in the first half of the league final when he should have gone for goal, but in tight games, as especially late on, they can be big turning points and potential match winners


  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ gaffer91


    Free- takers invariably bringing it an extra 5+ metres in when kicking from the hand. Makes a huge difference from tight angles.

    Either enforce the place of the free strictly or make them kick it off the ground if they're going for a direct score.


  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭ puzl


    Hurlers wearing the hips and elbows off anyone attempting to run the ball. How can you be attempting to play the ball when you barely reach the elbow of the hand holding the stick?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭ Fann Linn


    Fans leaving their seats from the 29th minute on when when there are at least 6 mins left and normally 10. Sit the fcuk down clownheads.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Weepsie


    Goalkeepers using the bigger hurl to take penos/free.

    I don't think they're supposed to, but they're never checked


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭ Donnielighto


    puzl wrote: »
    Hurlers wearing the hips and elbows off anyone attempting to run the ball. How can you be attempting to play the ball when you barely reach the elbow of the hand holding the stick?

    That's one I hadn't considered but would be easy to police.


  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ Pigeon Chaser


    Totally and utterly disagree

    They are the sign of smart play

    I recall a Leinster game between Meath and Westmeath a few years back
    Westmeath a point up in injury time.
    Meath on the attack go for a goal when a fisted point was on to level the game and bringa replay/ET, ball is blocked or something, Westmeath race down the field and score a goal, game over.
    The smart move would have been to take the fisted point

    Moanghan v Kerry QF 2007, Kerry under the cosh all day, scores level very late, Marc O' Shea goes down the left wing, pops over a fisted point, puts a dagger in the Monaghan heart, game over.

    Now there are times where I don't think t's a good option
    Fergal Boland fisted over 2 in the first half of the league final when he should have gone for goal, but in tight games, as especially late on, they can be big turning points and potential match winners

    I don't see the skill in them though. I agree with your point under current rules they are frequently the sensible option. What "grinds my gears" is the fact they are permitted at all.

    In a few years they will look as ludicrous as watching footage of hurling from back in the day with handpasses goals.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill


    Refs giving 2 yellow cards when there is clearly an instigator and a guy defending himself.

    So many of the top forwards have fallen foul to this over the years as their man has just started a row off the ball- see Connolly, donaghy and loads more.

    It seems to form about 70% of lee Keegan planning for when he is marking someone


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner


    Refs giving 2 yellow cards when there is clearly an instigator and a guy defending himself.

    This.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ Infernal Racket


    gaffer91 wrote: »
    Free- takers invariably bringing it an extra 5+ metres in when kicking from the hand. Makes a huge difference from tight angles.

    Either enforce the place of the free strictly or make them kick it off the ground if they're going for a direct score.

    Kicking from the hand should be done away with altogether in free taking. It was much more entertaining and skillful when the ball was placed


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭ Water John


    Weepsie, all 5 Kilkenny defenders picked up goalkeeper's hurleys for the Cork penalties, today.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭ beggars_bush


    Water John wrote: »
    Weepsie, all 5 Kilkenny defenders picked up goalkeeper's hurleys for the Cork penalties, today.

    21m frees


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭ Richard Hillman


    Pointless off the ball barging


  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ john9876


    Gerry G wrote: »
    Kicking from the hand should be done away with altogether in free taking. It was much more entertaining and skillful when the ball was placed

    That's effort by David Clifford today was a bit tasty.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ Happyilylost


    Fair enough Clarkes options may of been shut down but I would guess keeping the kickouts away from David Moran might of been a sensible decision for him to take. I think that aspect would have to rest on the shoulders of David Clarke.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭ Road-Hog


    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Fans leaving their seats from the 29th minute on when when there are at least 6 mins left and normally 10. Sit the fcuk down clownheads.

    Nice sight though when it’s cork fans leaving early after a Croke Park defeat.....it’s been happening very regularly this past couple of years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ Poor_old_gill


    Fann Linn wrote: »
    Fans leaving their seats from the 29th minute on when when there are at least 6 mins left and normally 10. Sit the fcuk down clownheads.

    Or even worse- overexcited clowns who stand up everytime a player from their team gets within 45 yards of goal- meaning everyone has to stand up to see what is goin on.

    Fcukers should be given a jab of a cattle prod


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner


    Added this to the last one.

    In the terraces, men with babies in those front pouch holders with a huge pair of county coloured ear defenders on the baby looking to get in the papers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭ MayoAreMagic


    Pushing and shoving on throw ins.
    Punches disguised as grabbing a guys jersey.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    Gerry G wrote: »
    Kicking from the hand should be done away with altogether in free taking. It was much more entertaining and skillful when the ball was placed


    Disagree,

    The main benefit is that it speeds up the game too. You don’t have players going through that proxy routine of spending 40 seconds to place the ball, step out the run up another 40, another few seconds gesturing to team mates when they have no intention of passing anyway. With placed balls as much as you admire the skill it’s 2-3 minutes out of the game with lads fuçking about.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭ threeball


    1. Fisted scores: Atrocious to watch
    2. Two yellows for every coming together regardless of who's to blame
    3. Holding on to the ball after a free given, should be an automatic 30m advance
    4. Systematic fouling
    5. Lads getting flaked while solo running in hurling with no consequences.
    6. Arseholes who have no problem smashing a hurl across an opponents hand
    7. Eijits who run in from the subs bench and start digging their opponent
    8. Stamping, raking, gouging and especially dropping in with the knees
    9. The GAA top brass


  • Registered Users Posts: 920 Last Stop


    Strumms wrote: »
    Disagree,

    The main benefit is that it speeds up the game too. You don’t have players going through that proxy routine of spending 40 seconds to place the ball, step out the run up another 40, another few seconds gesturing to team mates when they have no intention of passing anyway. With placed balls as much as you admire the skill it’s 2-3 minutes out of the game with lads fuçking about.

    Make it like Oz Rules and the defending player stands where the free is given. The free taker can step back as far as he wants. Does it give the advantage to the defence? Potentially but it sure as hell beats the current system where a free is given on the edge of the D and the player is in front of the posts kicking it.

    I also noticed this year in hurling that refs are getting really strict on players being back the required distance from the free taker. Unfortunate they are taking it way too far and forcing players back far more than the required 13m. I’d much prefer to see them focus on the opposition players running in the players line of vision, waving hurls, jumping and shouting. The rules state that opposition players must be static for frees


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ Happyilylost


    Last Stop wrote:
    Make it like Oz Rules and the defending player stands where the free is given. The free taker can step back as far as he wants. Does it give the advantage to the defence? Potentially but it sure as hell beats the current system where a free is given on the edge of the D and the player is in front of the posts kicking it.

    Last Stop wrote:
    I also noticed this year in hurling that refs are getting really strict on players being back the required distance from the free taker. Unfortunate they are taking it way too far and forcing players back far more than the required 13m. I’d much prefer to see them focus on the opposition players running in the players line of vision, waving hurls, jumping and shouting. The rules state that opposition players must be static for frees

    Just do like the those foreign lads across the water and let the ref put some shaving foam on the ground. Player steps over it taking a free it's a hop ball. Should be easy in police in a similar way to the way side line kicks are now and that was enforced pretty seamlessly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 920 Last Stop


    Just do like the those foreign lads across the water and let the ref put some shaving foam on the ground. Player steps over it taking a free it's a hop ball. Should be easy in police in a similar way to the way side line kicks are now and that was enforced pretty seamlessly.

    Do you seriously believe that the GAA could admit that another sport (especially soccer) has solved has solved one of the games problems. Sure if that was the case we’d have a sin bin like in rugby, the clock stopping for injury time and 3 challenges on Hawkeye.

    Joking aside, I think football is too quick for the foam. Even if it takes as little as a minute to disappear, there is the potential for a team to have 2 frees in roughly the same position in that time. Plus the fact that there are far more storable frees in football vs the odd one in soccer that you’d need a big can of foam :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ Comic Book Guy


    An attacker soloing at speed but few opposition players each commit half fouls on him to stop his momentum. The attacker then slows or falls where he is immediately surrounded by 3 oposition players and ref gives a free against him.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 Powerhouse


    Last Stop wrote: »

    Do you seriously believe that the GAA could admit that another sport (especially soccer) has solved has solved one of the games problems.


    What about the red and yellow cards?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ Happyilylost


    Powerhouse wrote:
    What about the red and yellow cards?


    I've a feeling he was possibly joking. If that's still allowed. The "joking aside" part was a good clue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭ megadodge


    Gerry G wrote: »
    Kicking from the hand should be done away with altogether in free taking. It was much more entertaining and skillful when the ball was placed

    Brutal idea!

    The game would be ridiculously slowed down. I have no idea how you would consider that "more entertaining".


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ Happyilylost


    megadodge wrote:
    The game would be ridiculously slowed down. I have no idea how you would consider that "more entertaining".


    I'm not going to look it up so I'll just ask. Is it in the rulebook that a different amount of time can be given depending on the nature of the free? As in if a defender wins a free close to his own goal. Can't find an out. Twists and turns a few times suddenly the ref comes in and throws it up as he's taken too long.

    Win a free shooting at the goals. Goalie comes sauntering up. Taps his ankles. Does forty seven somersaults then after a minute kicks the ball at goal. There is a fair disparity between the time offered both instances but yet the original decision ie. a free is the same.


Advertisement