Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Ceratopsian Thread- Horned Dinosaurs

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,052 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aye zoology has died a death activity wise the last week or two also. Christmas, exams, dissertations all distracting me at the moment :o

So why did it take them so long to name this fellow then anyone know? Was it just a case of not getting around to it or was there some dispute over whether it was a new species or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Adam Khor wrote: »
    First of all... is everyone ok? Seems to me that this forum is reaching its KT boundary if you know what I mean...

Anyways, it's been nearly 100 years since this dinosaur was discovered, yet it had never been described or named. Sometimes I just hate paleontologists. Who knows what other amazing things we're missing...

dino-spinops-drawing-490_106680_2.jpg

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/spinops_sternbergorum_horned_dinosaur_discovery_100_years_making-85273

Yes I have been a little bit slack of late and I send my apologies. I seem to have trouble finding stuff of interest to post up, and also work is killing me just now, Only have time for quick visits. But I am still around even when I don't log in.

Find me a big marine reptile called Rubecula rex and you will not shut me up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Galvasean wrote: »
    That;s the very frustrating thing about palaeontology in general. Everything takes so bloody long to do!!!!
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    So why did it take them so long to name this fellow then anyone know? Was it just a case of not getting around to it or was there some dispute over whether it was a new species or not?

Nope. The powers that be figure that "The things have been dead for at least 65 million years. They aren't going anywhere any time soon, so whats the rush. And while we are at it, where's my grant money...."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Oh Dear Lord someone duct tape Horner somewhere quiet

• Advertisement

An end in sight? The discovery of what appears to be a sub-adult Torosaurus (if Horner and co.'s theory is correct then there should be no such thing as a sub-adult Torosaurus, just a Triceratops) seems to put the idea to bed (and also indicates that Torosaurus could grow to be even bigger than once thought.
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0032623

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

This is a photo of a fossilized pair of Psittacosaurus (nicknamed "loving dragons" or "cuddling dragons") found in China in 2010.
    14543548063538413375.jpg

Here's the article anyways in case someone knows more Chinese than I do (easy XD)

http://expo.people.com.cn/GB/17356840.html

Ah yes, Love In The Time Of ChasmoPsittacosaurus...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Its name means "alien horned face", supossedly because of its "unusual" horn pattern although by now, with the likes of Medusaceratops, Kosmoceratops, Einiosaurus etc, it doesn´t look that alien anymore.
    Still, interesting creature with a nice classic-sounding name. At 20 feet long and only 2 tons, it was about the size of a black rhino, large for modern day standards but not particularly large for a ceratopsian. It lived around 80 million years ago.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/full/10.1139/e2012-056#.UJxdymf4Vac

Xenoceratops.jpg

Nice artwork. I love the colours.

• Advertisement

But did it have feathers? :D

Rubecula wrote: »
    But did it have feathers? :D

I'd doubt it personally, but the related psittacosaurs did and there have been highly controversial reports of a small amount of feathery things on Triceratops. So, never say never.

I'd doubt it personally, but the related psittacosaurs did and there have been highly controversial reports of a small amount of feathery things on Triceratops. So, never say never.

What? Never? :pac:

Every time a child says that word another dino drops dead :(

This one's named after the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande) as its fossils were found in Texas, and after Polyphemus the cyclops from the Odyssey.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00114-013-1063-0#page-1

http://dennonychus.blogspot.mx/2013/05/new-discovery-bravoceratops-polyphemus.html

scolosaurus.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Quite a large skull. Would imagine that it would go straight in as one of the largest pachyrhinosaur skulls found to date, if not the largest.

Wonder will we see the max estimated size of pachyrhinosaur being revised as a result.

I had already seen estimates of 8 meter long Pachyrhinosaurus D: If this one was bigger it may even join the ranks of largest ceratopsians, and possibly the largest known centrosaurine...

pachyrhinosaurus-size.jpg

What's the usual size estimate for Pachyrhinosaurus, 5.5metres?

• Advertisement

What's the usual size estimate for Pachyrhinosaurus, 5.5metres?

The most accepted estimates are that it size range would be between 5m and 8m

I had already seen estimates of 8 meter long Pachyrhinosaurus D: If this one was bigger it may even join the ranks of largest ceratopsians, and possibly the largest known centrosaurine...

pachyrhinosaurus-size.jpg

I think the 8m length was an estimated maximum length based on smaller skulls that were found. But now they have actually found a two metre long skull (which I think would have belonged to an animal of between 7.5m and 8.5m based on old estimates), the estimated maximum length will probably go up because the chances of it being the skull of the longest/biggest ever to exist have to be miniscule.

Would certainly push it into Triceratops territory (8m to 9.5m) with regards to length although it is nowhere near heavily built enough to challenge the Trike in terms of weight

Be pretty cool to see Pachyrhinosaurus get a size upgrade though. Think the current estimates top out at 8m and 4 or 5 tons (far from being a small animal as is), but an extra metre or so in length could see it gain anything from half a ton to a ton and a half extra if my guesstimations are even close to being correct.

Yeah, I bet most dinosaurs grew bigger than we currently believe. Even today, "monster" specimens of living animals turn up once in a while. Also, dinos didn´t have trophy hunters killing off the ones with the best genes...

Poor Hogzilla :(

Shame really. Oh look, a one of a kind critter... let's shoot it!

'murica!

'murica!

Q, King Kong, fake Godzilla.......they have form for it alright. :)

'murica!

U-U Not unlike cutting down a tree that's hundreds of years old. The world needs its monsters- the good kind, I mean.

U-U Not unlike cutting down a tree that's hundreds of years old. The world needs its monsters- the good kind, I mean.

Take away the monster and you take away the sense of wonder.

• Advertisement

Exactly, and what is life itself without the sense of wonder? Once you stop being in awe, you're as good as dead.

Advertisement