Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor sockets too small

Options
  • 12-07-2019 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I got these put in last year for the Christmas lights but the sockets are too small to close the covers as the plugs are awkward in size. A friend has suggested I get a protective case put over it and am looking for an electrician or someone capable to do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I got these put in last year for the Christmas lights but the sockets are too small to close the covers as the plugs are awkward in size. A friend has suggested I get a protective case put over it and am looking for an electrician or someone capable to do the job.

Woodies and the likes do a water proof enclosure/box that will hold a plug bar, allowing you to plug in at least 4 devices. This could be mounted under or to the side of them sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Why not change the plugs to ones that fit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

There's no rain going to get in there. Wait and see if the sockets ever trip due to water ingress. If they do then worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Don't see how you are going to get bigger sockets?

Easiest solution is to get a waterproof outdoor sockets box and an extension lead, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/masterplug-Weatherproof-Enclosure-Electrical-Connections/dp/B015R50C14/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

hesker wrote: »

They’re probably AC/DC adaptors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Agree with antiskeptic, no way rain is getting in there unless a leak from guttering above, by protective case I imagine a perspex cover/box is what the OP is after to shield socket from elements, screw it onto wall and have the bottom open so you can reach up and insert plug, get one made and fix to wall yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

hesker wrote: »

perhaps they are actually low voltage with the traffo /plug combined... maybe

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These appear to be well shielded from weather. Overhang etc

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

got a weather box kit so all should be good to go

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

got a weather box kit so all should be good to go

That's what I did too.

Mine was only a small load, so I bought those cheap short extension leads from deals you get the twin socket, 300mm of flex and a plug top, I didn't use the unit that came with the box, as the above was so small and tidy

• Advertisement
Advertisement