Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Troodontid Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks for this Adam. Troodontids are fascinating things. (Even ones that look like an irritated turkey:pac:)

If they hadn't died out they could have been the fore runner of Sauro sapiens (I just made that word up)

Yep I find this almost as fascinating as marine reptiles, good stuff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

With the posting of Talos sampsoni, I was reminded that I forgot to post news of a new troodontid dinosaur called Linhevenator tani which lived in Inner Mongolia (which is, rather confusingly, actually located in China) during the late Cretaceous.
    Compared to other troodontids, Linhevenator had a relatively long shoulder blade, a relatively short and thick humerus, and its second toe was tipped in a specialized, retractable claw like that seen in Troodon but not in some earlier members of the group. This is a curious suite of characteristics. Whereas Linhevenator appears to have had a killing claw similar to that of its dromaeosaurid cousins like Deinonychus, the newly described dinosaur may have had proportionally short and strongly muscled arms. This may hint that Linhevenator was not using its arms to capture prey in the same way as dromaeosaurids or earlier troodontid dinosaurs, even if it did have a specialized killing claw.

More.

linhevenator-skeleton.jpg

Could it have been used in climbing?

That's one of the ideas put forward by the team. More research is needed before a solid theory can be made though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    Could it have been used in climbing?

I honestly can´t see troodontids as climbers... their forearms are too short and their legs too long. I think raptors (dromaeosaurs, cuz I don´t like using "raptor" for troodontids as well) are more likely to have been agile tree climbers- you know, having shorter legs and longer arms.

• Advertisement

Troodontids do look more like runners to me as well. Very gracile legs and all that jazz. I can't think of any short armed climbers (snakes excluded who have none) off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    Troodontids do look more like runners to me as well. Very gracile legs and all that jazz. I can't think of any short armed climbers (snakes excluded who have none) off the top of my head.

I can think of a few, like the pangolin or the silky anteater, but what matters is not the length of the arms but the length difference between arms and legs; I just can´t see how a long legged animal like a troodontid would be able to grasp branches or tree trunks with its very short arms- it would have to adopt very awkward postures :D.

Plus pangolins and anteaters have prehensile tails... which makes me wonder now if there were any dinosaurs with prehensile tails...

There is (or was, not sure if they still exist) a type of Kangaroo that climbs trees.

There is (or was, not sure if they still exist) a type of Kangaroo that climbs trees.

There is; it does exist. Actually, there are several species :D

new-species-tree-kangaroo.jpg

tumblr_lgfwtvOYoP1qdeyheo1_500.jpg

2009-07-07RHawk031TreeKangarooADJ_web.jpg

Cute buggers..

• Advertisement

Cute buggers..

And very very tasty:pac:

They do look a bit like cuddly toys. However the reason I mentioned them originally was the tendancy of kangaroos to have disproportionate sized legs. Big at the back and not so big at the front. They climb trees. So I don't see that disproportionate legs stops a Troodontid from climbing. I am not saying they did, just that odd leg lengths does not automatically disqualify from doing so.

I am as probably as wrong as I usually am, just an idea is all.

Well from those pics posted the (adorable) tree kangaroos have fairly short legs similar in length to, if not shorter than, their arms.

Well from those pics posted the (adorable) tree kangaroos have fairly short legs similar in length to, if not shorter than, their arms.

I agree... you really can´t compare the disproportion between the tree kangaroo's legs and those of a troodontid. Most troodontids had VERY short arms and VERY long legs, just check this out:

sinovenator.jpg

2310705511_bc11da3e6d.jpg

Now check the tree kangaroo's skeleton:
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/2326360540026680751tOglsC

It seems according to "Planet Dinosaur" that microraptor was a tree climber too. It had the raptor like big claw, and also extended fingers supposedly for getting grubs (much like the Aye Aye lemur)

It seems according to "Planet Dinosaur" that microraptor was a tree climber too. It had the raptor like big claw, and also extended fingers supposedly for getting grubs (much like the Aye Aye lemur)

That would be Epidendrosaurus, I think... the one with the very long fingers:

chin.jpg

Yes you are probably right, but it did say microraptor on Planet Dinosaur.

I will step back from this as I don't actually know myself.

Well, it really doesn´t matter, since both dinosaurs were seemingly tree dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Thanks for this Adam. Troodontids are fascinating things. (Even ones that look like an irritated turkey:pac:)

If they hadn't died out they could have been the fore runner of Sauro sapiens (I just made that word up)

Yep I find this almost as fascinating as marine reptiles, good stuff.:)
    It's now officially a word.

Allosaur wrote: »
    It's now officially a word.

:pac: When I see it in Wikipedia I will believe it (or not as the case may be)

OMG. ROFL.

http://jamesvf.deviantart.com/art/Sauro-Sapien-148727783

coldblood3-150x150.jpg

If that's evolution, you can keep it..

• Advertisement

If that's evolution, you can keep it..

ditto

But it did have me choking on me cuppa. :pac:

Second specimen of Mei Long, preserved basically in the same posture as the original:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0045203
    meilong2.jpg

Interesting how it showed both juvenile and adult traits. I wonder if their growth was determined by food intake similar to a crocodile.

Or that's what they think it is.

It is a feathered dinosaur but had less extensive feathering than other dinosaurs, with short fuzz in the tail and legs which allowed it to run fast (it also didn´t have the "killing claw" of later troodontids, apparently).

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n1/full/ncomms2389.html

Eosinopteryx-reconst.jpg

2bc003207e9523ce768a1912e3f8d1ec-Eosinopteryx_brevipenna_

Great find Adam. I didn't know that such a thing was around in the Jurassic. Looking at the rendition I would have thought Cretaceous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Interesting news. As well the concept of the site, to fund scientific experiments, seems a good idea.

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/albertavenator-curriei-05048.html
    Not sure if it couldn´t just be a new species of Troodon, really.
    image_5048_1-Albertavenator-curriei.jpg

artist impression is very very birdlike, more so than usual troodon images.

• Advertisement

Most paleoartists restore maniraptorans like this nowadays (and are quick to crucify those who don´t!)

Advertisement